Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Grimsby Town vs Swindon Town matchday thread  (Read 16202 times)
mozalini

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Sunday, September 25, 2022, 08:50:44 »

It might have already been mentioned in this conversation already, but it was noticeable that the starting 11 was made up of 10 new signings and just Gladwin from last year.  I think that Lindsey has turned us into a coherent team very quickly, and opposing fans would never guess that we are such a new team.  Also, last year's team was sometimes nearly 50% loan players, and we all know what happened in January. Yesterday we had Brynn and FBT.  I don't count Jephcott because we have an option to buy.  Therefore, when we go into February, we will a lot better off than a year ago.  I'd hope that FBT will sign permanently, but signing Brynn would just be too much to hope for.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Sunday, September 25, 2022, 08:51:29 »

https://mobile.twitter.com/xg_data/status/1573955922757550081/photo/3

Highly entertaining xG graph from yesterday's game, Grimsby essentially had an xG of two in injury time.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Sunday, September 25, 2022, 09:08:27 »

Even the local paper were very complimentary of our performance yesterday
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #288 on: Sunday, September 25, 2022, 09:16:49 »

As per usual I have put together the comments from Grimsby fans, the good, the bad and the ugly comments Smiley TBF most are pretty complimentary.

Can't have any complaints at falling behind to a very tidy looking Swindon.

Swindon very good footballing side

Khan is a very good player.

First time I've seen Smith and Waterfall this ragged. Glennon has really struggled against Hutton. Efete has improved a bit. Our midfield has started to find more space since the equaliser but we're still second to most turnovers. Swindon have been pretty impressive, it's been tough.

A good looking Swindon well worth their first half lead.

Swindon are a very well organised side though. Let's see what the second half brings.

Their midfielder Khan is picking up all the lose balls in midfield and stopping Richardson getting on to anything.

Crikey that was a tough watch. We've been miles off but fair play to Swindon, by far the best team we've played so far.

i dont even think weve been that poor, think swindon have been really effective just look a good side, and we need to really up our level to compete with them.

You would assume against 10 men for 30 mins we should win, but nothing is for sure.

Replay for me says ref made correct decision. He's been their best player so let's hope we can break them down now

Tbf, brilliant away performance from Swindon who deserved there little bit of luck in the last few minutes with some fantastic last ditch defending.

Swindon looked better in all areas of the pitch, fitter, stronger, more ruthless in attack. We were always second to balls, easily bullied off it and looked like we wanted to pass the ball into the net from the back.

Swindon deserve it if were honest. Frustrating.

TBF to Swindon they played their socks off.   People might say often the ball didn't fall right for us but Swindon anticipated everything better.  They really didn't need the shithousery.

Even game I'd say but Swindon were that bit slicker with the ball. Going forward they always seemed to have options and follow up runners. With us it's just scrappy,

No, think everyone's blowing smoke up Swindon's arses. They were below us in the table before today having played an extra match. The goals they scored resulted from awful defending on our part

We did the hard work getting back into the game, despite swindon being the better side.

Impressed with swindon, Less impressed with some of our play, home form becoming frustrating.

First 60-70mins very impressed with Swindon, proper footballing side. After the sending off it was shithousery and terrible hoofs to noone from them. We didn't play terrible, we simply got beaten by the better team. On another day one of those many chances at the end goes in and we get a point.

Fairly ugly to watch.

Beaten by a better team but, let’s be honest, we were poor pretty much from 1-11 today. We should have had at least a point however

Overall a fairly even game, Swindon didn't outclass us, nor did we do enough to win the game.

We didn't get into the game until the second half when Harry was moved into the center circle where we were getting hammered.

Swindon are a good side and they deserved the three points. They'll be in the play-offs I think.

it was obvious Swindon had highlighted that left side of defense as a weakness, their diagonal balls were destroying us in the first half.

Swindon were a good side but we still made things easy for them with a rare off day for the defence.

Swindon are a big side and easily out muscled us.

I thought Swindon were good - but not great.

Swindon were faster than us, far more accurate in their passing and had sussed that Glennon was slower than their winger

Swindon were down to 10 men with 30 minutes to play and we failed to take any advantage. In fact, a few times it looked like Town had 10 men!

Swindon were big and strong at the back, cynical but able to play a bit in midfield and with some pace out wide. The first time I've seen us struggle so much defending set pieces as we just kept missing the ball which led to their opener. Both of our full-backs had poor games defensively and it was frankly bizarre how often they almost got in behind us with a simple diagonal ball over the top. We just didn't try to close them down or stop them passing in the first half but it took an almighty misjudgement from Smith for them to score again.

Swindon were the better team all game and their passing in the first half was quick and accurate. Town’s defence today was poor for whatever reason. During the first half Clifton lost his footing 3 times which says he had the wrong studs or the pitch had too much water on it. Richardson was a big disappointment today and rightly subbed but Taylor held the ball well but had little support. Very scrappy 2nd half and as soon as Swindon went down to 10 men you knew it would be a struggle.

Always strange how supporters at the same game see things differently. Swindon were obviously a decent side with good passing and movement but despite that had to rely on us pretty much gifting them both goals and other than that hardly recall Max having to make a save.

Beaten by a better team end of. Stronger quicker more organised more fluid....alot of posts saying we were poor...or was that they were just better ?

Sorry but you are bigging up Swindon far to much they looked vurlnerable at the back and could be got at when we attacked which we didn’t do until late in the game Upper mid table to lower play off at best . No better then Northampton.

Swindon managed the game better than us today in different ways either side of the sending off, they all seemed to want the ball be comfortable in possession and retained it reasonably well too.

Swindon are a good side, that much is obvious. They pop the ball about and move as well as anyone we’ve seen this season.

Swindon are an excellent side and I think they will be right up there come the end of the season. They’re the kind of team that would have blown us away in previous League Two seasons.

2 poor goals to concede and Swindon dominated. Second half we started with purpose and with Khan on the left looked a different propersition. The sending off probably went against us as Swindon time wasted, worked the ref and defended in numbers but in reality we had 2 great chances to equalise and at the end of the game their manager holds up the keepers arm to there fans to salute his performance.

No alarm bells to ring as Swindon promotion favourites

I don’t think we were that bad. I think Swindon being a good team just made us look poor.

Swindon moved the ball nicely, mainly side to side but they kept possession well

Swindon made the league 2 playoffs last year and were consistent throughout the season, we were in the conference. The fact we more than competed shows how far we’ve come.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
oxonrobin

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Sunday, September 25, 2022, 10:24:23 »

“Swindon are a big side and easily out muscled us.”

Was my favourite bit. Nobody would have said that last year  Grin
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Sunday, September 25, 2022, 11:53:14 »

Should also say that the green kit looked pretty good in live action as well.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
normy

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Sunday, September 25, 2022, 13:13:51 »

Well done everyone for the great comments on here, which I mainly agreed with, and for the interesting Grimsby comments as well. We seem in a very good place at the moment.

ust be the oldest
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Sunday, September 25, 2022, 14:30:48 »

Any word on RMH’s injury?
DMC

« Reply #293 on: Sunday, September 25, 2022, 14:44:13 »

Any word on RMH’s injury?
Sounds like his hammy went and then as precaution they didn't want to risk it
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Sunday, September 25, 2022, 15:17:28 »

Sounds like his hammy went and then as precaution they didn't want to risk it
Yeah hopefully all precautionary. Should know more soon enough I guess.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Sunday, September 25, 2022, 15:25:08 »

He was on twitter saying nothing serious
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Sunday, September 25, 2022, 15:29:35 »

It can't be anything bad, there was a moment after he looked like he was going to be taken off where he went into a full sprint with the ball.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: Sunday, September 25, 2022, 17:00:09 »

He was on twitter saying nothing serious

Said the same thing to us. I mentioned how fired up and enthusiastic he looked and you could see he was desperate to make an impression. Will be out for a few weeks.
Just hasn’t played that many games thus needs to be eased in gently.
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Sunday, September 25, 2022, 17:24:00 »

Said the same thing to us. I mentioned how fired up and enthusiastic he looked and you could see he was desperate to make an impression. Will be out for a few weeks.
Just hasn’t played that many games thus needs to be eased in gently.
Out for a few weeks sounds like it is indeed something serious?
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: Sunday, September 25, 2022, 17:57:37 »

Out for a few weeks sounds like it is indeed something serious?

Just can’t be rushed back with very little game time.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: