Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Harrogate vs Swindon Town build up & matchday thread  (Read 35495 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #450 on: Sunday, July 31, 2022, 16:36:05 »

Surely almost all EFL clubs are using data as part of their recruitment process to some extent?

Listening to Lindsey’s BBC Wilts phone-in it certainly didn’t seem like Billy Beane’s Moneyball.

As I've previously stated it's a level playing field for all teams and will come down to the ability of the manager to get the best out of what he's got.

So, give no fucks
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #451 on: Sunday, July 31, 2022, 16:37:21 »

If only we knew which players were chosen using that method!

Well to a certain extent all of them at some level. Wasn’t it mentioned in one of the recent interviews with either Lyndsey or De Michelle or whatever his name is? Having said that going forward ALL of them will be.
« Last Edit: Sunday, July 31, 2022, 16:39:48 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
aroundthefur

Ignore
« Reply #452 on: Sunday, July 31, 2022, 16:39:08 »

Agree.

Lindsey also said he’s had the final say on all players who have been signed.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #453 on: Sunday, July 31, 2022, 16:39:14 »

Well to a certa Smiley extent all of them at some level. Wasn’t it mentioned in one of the recent interviews with either Lyndsey or De Michelle or whatever his name is? Having said that going forward ALL of them will be.

I missed that LL but have no doubts that you're right.

So, give no fucks
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #454 on: Sunday, July 31, 2022, 16:42:21 »

Agree.

Lindsey also said he’s had the final say on all players who have been signed.

So we can identify where the buck stops then and narrow it down to one of two individuals alongside the drongo player concerned.
aroundthefur

Ignore
« Reply #455 on: Sunday, July 31, 2022, 18:25:09 »

Buck stops in the same places it’s always stopped.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #456 on: Sunday, July 31, 2022, 19:36:27 »

Basically two sides of the argument

Is JW going to bust a gut to play well to make Wales World Cup squad
…or…
Is JW going to play very tentatively in order to not miss the World Cup through injury

My point being you’d think a international midfielder probably going to a World Cup should look head and shoulders above everyone else in L2 but don’t think JW ever really has…

Oh, I think he did last season albeit occasionally

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #457 on: Sunday, July 31, 2022, 19:40:18 »

Anyone know why he struggles with fitness as surely a welsh international should be playing in league one.

So, give no fucks
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #458 on: Sunday, July 31, 2022, 19:47:58 »

I watched the extended highlights. It didn't look quite as bad as the abridged highlights but it didn't show the Reed back pass that was mentioned or the Baudry header just wide I don't think (unless I missed it). First half looked okay to be honest. Second half looked poor. Macdonald had a decent shot from distance. The goals were a result of poor defending but very good finishes for the first two. Might be worth scouting a few of those Harrogate players as they seemed to know where the goal was for sure. Gladwin definitely looked a bit leaner and more mobile than last year.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #459 on: Sunday, July 31, 2022, 19:59:44 »

Quote from: molepar
First half looked okay to be honest. Second half looked poor. 

I think that's fair enough. There was some evidence of some link up play in the first half as Gladwin got forward. In fact we did start to get on top a bit after about 25 minutes, I remember thinking that now, but lost it in my disappointment during the aftermath.

But I'd also say Harrogate had looked threatening at times,  and we simply didn't really.

After they scored we degenerated more and more as the game went on.

meh. Bring on Saturday. Big performance needed to settle everyone down
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #460 on: Sunday, July 31, 2022, 20:10:33 »

I am bringing some friends and friends of friends on Saturday for their first match. Hopefully they won’t be too disappointed and hopefully I won’t be feeling too embarrassed. I can imagine the fans getting impatient quickly on Saturday if we aren’t looking good.
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #461 on: Sunday, July 31, 2022, 20:40:18 »

Things can change very quickly in football.

A new striker through the door and a win next Saturday and suddenly we can look upwards again.

I'm calm for the next 3/4 games. if there's no signs of progress after that, then I'll begin to panic.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #462 on: Monday, August 1, 2022, 07:55:01 »

Well...not the start we were all hoping for!

Big match next week, the handle of the vice is screwing down on Lindsey already, he has'nt got a free hit like Garner last year for sure.

Lets get a win and all calm down.

Clems Army!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #463 on: Monday, August 1, 2022, 08:55:49 »

well, where to start dissecting Saturday's performance? I guess as level headed as possible given we've 45 league games left and surely to goodness we can't get any worse than that!!

First proper look at the new side and in the first half there were some positive signs. We definitely fanny about at the back a lot less and look to get the ball into the channels or through the thirds much quicker than under Garner. Obviously when we do this well it will be great but when done badly, you get what happened in the second half. I thought MacDonald looked classy at times and Tome when he came to pick up the ball looked neat and tidy. Gladders seems to be playing the Jack Payne roll and did ok in that first half, most of the good things came through him. Sadly we are still a mess at the back. Looking back at the first goal could Sol Brynn have come and taken the corner? The first contact was only 4 yards from goal and he was stuck on his line. I'd have liked for him to have shown some confidence there and come through the body of players to claim that one. Maybe I am being overly critical. From there it was feebly defended by a group of statues, shades of last season really.

Second half, well it was a mess really. Reed who was terrible in the first half was dispossessed from the kick off and that set the tone. A loose ball by Brennan in a dangerous area pinged around and was lashed home after MacDonald was unlucky with a recovery tackle that fell straight to their centre forward. Good finish mind but another avoidable goal. Khan and Wakeling looked lively after coming on and good intuition by Wakeling but you just knew after the penalty woes at Vale another miss was likely to come. It did, Gladders hitting the post and that was just about that. Harrogate's third was another avoidable goal, Sol Brynn with a frankly timid piece of goalkeeping, got to be braver than that i'm afraid.

Overall, hugely disappointing. What Lindsey said about the 'fatigue' in the Cardiff game would see us fresh and bright on Saturday went out the window. We looked sluggish, careless in possession, lacking pace and aggression, basically everything you need to get out of this division. When Louis Reed gives the ball away so much you know you have a problem, he was terrible. The positives to take for me was that MacDonald looks like he'll be a good player, showed his class at times, not perfect but looks a solid signing. I liked Khan's driving runs, he looks like he'll be a lot of fun. Aside from that, a pretty poor show, as I mentioned earlier if we want to play the way Lindsey wants us to, we have to be much much better in possession, or teams are going to have a field day with us. I thought both wing backs looked slow and timid, I do wonder why Hutton is playing on the left but he does look like he has a decent delivery on that left peg, but Shade was good last season at Left Wing Back and Hutton was good last season at Right wing back so I'm not sure I see the logic of them playing on their 'wrong' sides. Against Salford I expect to see much more fight and desire.
« Last Edit: Monday, August 1, 2022, 09:34:39 by Bob's Orange » Logged

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #464 on: Monday, August 1, 2022, 09:09:29 »

At half time on Saturday my friend said, “I will be disappointed if we don’t win this”.

Neither side had look particularly threatening, they scored from a bit of a scramble.

The difference was they made changes in style at HT, pressed us more at the back & we just didn’t cope.

Give Reed time and space and he will look fantastic, get in his face and deny him time on the ball and he looks average, and that’s what they did.

The worry for me is that either we made no adjustments at HT, or we did & they made us worse.

Lack of pace at the back is a worry, and despite the idea that Reed can be our defensive midfield player I don’t see it.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35   Go Up
Print
Jump to: