Pages: 1 ... 212 213 214 [215] 216 217 218 ... 233   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (2024/25 Edition)  (Read 470700 times)
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #3210 on: Friday, June 7, 2024, 09:47:26 »

I think Minturn could really do with a good NL loan, we've basically seen nothing of Johnson so could be no. 4 or 5 CB.  Dokes is a FB or a WB, his inclination to drive from CB was one of our biggest problems last season.

If common perception is 2 per position then we need at least 4 based on what we already have, 3 of which should be 1st choice.

Some would say his drive from outside CB was a strength last season, not a problem. Thats the model adopted by a lot of the top clubs with a CB stepping up the pitch.

Regardless. We don't know how Kennedy will play. The suggestion are his first choice was 433 at Lincoln before reverting to 343 to get the best out of what he had.

If i assume a back 4, then i think Minturn counts as 1 of the 4 CBs. I can see us signing 3 then maybe. Dokes/Johnson/Hart will be considered as options if you need 6 should we go to a back 3. Dokes more naturally being considered a RB.

Peter Venkman
Is totally unexceptional

Perfection is not attainable

« Reply #3211 on: Friday, June 7, 2024, 09:54:11 »

If we go 3 CBs but Dokes is the only attack minded one I could live with that.
Definately this. We couldnt cope with 2 marauding CB's but we could easily cope with 1 if playing in a 3 so that 2 are always back defending especially with Ofoborh as cover in the side.

Well, we know where we're goin'
But we don't know where we've been
And we know what we're knowin'
But we can't say what we've seen
And we're not little children
And we know what we want
And the future is certain
Give us time to work it out
Anonymous77

Ignore
« Reply #3212 on: Friday, June 7, 2024, 10:02:41 »

In fact in that formation we could almost put out a reasonable team

Bycroft

McGregor

Dokes
Hunt
Minturn

Kokolo

Clarke
Ofoborh

McGurk

Glatzel
Drinan

…we’d obviously need Hunt & McGurk to sign.

You’d need to upgrade CB there massively.

Hunt won’t be signing a pro deal for another season, he’s still got another year as a Scholar.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #3213 on: Friday, June 7, 2024, 10:02:58 »

I think having two CM’s that can defend and tackle perhaps gives us a bit more solid look.
I’d be tempted to go 4-2-3-1 though, with Dokes at RB who can cover CB in an emergency or if we switch formation. Still think we need 3 more CB’s though
« Last Edit: Friday, June 7, 2024, 10:20:45 by Posh Red » Logged
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #3214 on: Friday, June 7, 2024, 10:08:35 »

OK, we then need to another experienced RWB then if we're starting Dokes as a RCB so same difference really.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #3215 on: Friday, June 7, 2024, 13:33:01 »

I think Minturn could really do with a good NL loan, we've basically seen nothing of Johnson so could be no. 4 or 5 CB.  Dokes is a FB or a WB, his inclination to drive from CB was one of our biggest problems last season.

If common perception is 2 per position then we need at least 4 based on what we already have, 3 of which should be 1st choice.

I agree with you - if we have any ambition that is.

If we start any of Godwin-Malife, Minturn or Hunt at centre back, we are not taking it seriously enough.  The first is part of problem in conceding too many goals, the second needs a loan and the third needs time to develop properly.

Godwin-Malife at right back is fine, Kokolo at LWB is OK but I'd prefer us to be doing better.  The entire defensive unit needs an overhaul.

I still believe we are 10 players short, and the majority of that 10 need to be first choice players, not back-ups or development options.
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #3216 on: Friday, June 7, 2024, 14:59:07 »

Very happy to see Ofoborh signed up. The more reserved side of our midfield is looking strong with Clarke, Khan and Ofoborh but all with some fitness related asterix’s so the 3 of them should be able to rotate well between themselves although I think Ofoborh is more capable of sitting in front of the defence where Clarke and Khan are more up and down types.

If we can get McGurk extended then that will be another good step but still need to see some experience and steel come in at CB
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #3217 on: Friday, June 7, 2024, 15:05:00 »

Dokes won L2 two years ago playing as a RCB - no issues with him playing there for us next season.

Fully agree on the need for Minturn to be loaned out however.
Jilted John

Ignore
« Reply #3218 on: Friday, June 7, 2024, 15:53:53 »

Dokes won L2 two years ago playing as a RCB - no issues with him playing there for us next season.

Fully agree on the need for Minturn to be loaned out however.
Godwin-Malife only started 21 games and 7 of those were at RB with 14 at RCB and 3 sub appearances he came on and played in midfield.

We're not really violent people... this is our first gun.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #3219 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2024, 14:31:45 »

Suggestion is that we want a squad of 24. Priorities two CBs and a winger.

If we're including all professional players, that would be net four in.

If we're excluding first year pros, net eight in.

If we're excluding first year pros plus Dworzak, nine.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #3220 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2024, 15:31:41 »

My current count of what we would need was 8-9, most of them first team ready.
DV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #3221 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2024, 16:02:27 »

I think apart from CBs our first XI is already here. Obviously guess work on my part & exactly like the last couple of seasons it’s vital we add some depth.

Bycroft

Dokes
CB
CB

Sobowole (RWB)

Clarke
Ofoborh
McGurk

Kokolo (LWB)

Drinan
Glatzel

…then that leaves McGregor & Khan out the first team (he could probably do an adequate job) then you still have the likes of Cain, Aguiar & Dworzak who are probably surplus to requirements.

Then some of the youths we haven’t heard anything about…

I’d like to see Clayton given pre-season and maybe a short term contract but no idea if that would be on the clubs radar.
Peter Venkman
Is totally unexceptional

Perfection is not attainable

« Reply #3222 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2024, 16:08:49 »

As we have said many times recently, we need experience, when you look at our current squad it has an average age of 23.5.

The entire current team have only amassed 936 1st team appearances between them with only 3 (Godwin-Malife, Drinan and Clarke) with over 70 1st team games.

Take away those 3 and the average appearance works out at just 30 per player.

Sorted by age with 1st team appearances in brackets at league 2 level or above.
19 Anton Dworzak (1)
20 Pharrell Johnson (1)
20 Harrison Minturn (20)
21 Sean McGurk (9)
22 Jake Cain (65)
22 Jack Bycroft (19)
23 Paul Glatzel (36)
23 Ricky Aguiar (33)
24 Williams Kokolo (45)
24 Tariq Uwakwe (67)
24 Udoka Godwin-Malife (144)
24 Nnamdi Ofoborh (36)
25 Tunmise Sobowale (29)
26 Aaron Drinan (124)
28 Saidou Khan (66)
31 Ollie Clarke (270)

Last season Stockport, Wrexham and Mansfield had a squad with an average age of bewteen 27 and 29.

We used the most amount of players of any side in league 2 last season with a huge 41 players, the other teams with a high turnover were FGR 38, Doncaster 37, Colchester 35, Morecambe 35, Sutton 34, Accrington 33 and Grimsby 33.

All those teams struggled last season even though Donny finished well they spent the 1st half of the season in the bottom 4.

IMO I would like us to get a GK to challenge Bycroft and press him (even though we probably wont). A defensive minded left back, 2/3 experienced centre backs, 1/2 wingers, a ball playing central midfielder and at least 1 more striker. So I make that 8 players for me to still bring in.

Will that happen? personally I dont think it will, I expect only 3 or 4 more at most with the youth teamers/1st year pros (Redman, Hunt, Odobo, MacGregor and Ameen) filling the other slots.

Well, we know where we're goin'
But we don't know where we've been
And we know what we're knowin'
But we can't say what we've seen
And we're not little children
And we know what we want
And the future is certain
Give us time to work it out
DV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #3223 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2024, 16:34:03 »

I’d definitely like to see some wide forwards / proper wingers to give us the option to switch from wing backs. In that sense I wouldn’t be against El Bouzedi coming back as a forward player (not a wingback) his pace can be dangerous
Anonymous77

Ignore
« Reply #3224 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2024, 17:14:15 »

Uwakwe, Kokolo and Longelo all 3 seen as LWB’s who are way better going forward…
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 214 [215] 216 217 218 ... 233   Go Up
Print
Jump to: