Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 ... 198   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (2023/24 Edition)  (Read 345826 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #930 on: Tuesday, January 17, 2023, 18:38:53 »

I thought Sandro made an interesting point on the OSC yesterday ref sale value of players. Pointing out that goalkeepers are rarely sold for decent money so it makes sense to loan a player in that position, and spend our money on players in positions that are more likely to have higher resale values. Seems sensible. Expect lots more loan keepers and defenders then.

Which is great until they aren’t very good or they get injured or they get recalled and you end up going through 7 keepers in season.

I can see the logic behind the above but I also think it’s a position you need stability at as well.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #931 on: Tuesday, January 17, 2023, 18:41:25 »

Maybe good news about FBT. From Burton

‘ Left sided defender Zak Ashworth joins on loan from West Brom.

20 years old played 2 league games for them last season.’
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #932 on: Tuesday, January 17, 2023, 18:43:34 »

literally makes no sense to me.

should we only sign strikers because they make the most cash?

I'm sure if a hot young prospect became available we'd sign them. we've already signed a very young keeper in fact
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #933 on: Tuesday, January 17, 2023, 20:30:26 »

literally makes no sense to me.

should we only sign strikers because they make the most cash?

I'm sure if a hot young prospect became available we'd sign them. we've already signed a very young keeper in fact

No. You do what we've done this season, tailor the mix of transfer fees paid, loans and free transfers in each area of the pitch with an eye to where you'll more likely to see a return.

It's why we've got one loan keeper and a free, why most of the defence are loans or frees, except Clayton and Hutton(?). Whilst in front of that we've one loan, Jephcott (who was only loaned because we couldn't sort out a perm deal on deadline day) and most of the signings are young players who might have a resale value of they develop.

It's clearly not a complete rule, hence Clayton, Hutton at the back, and being happy to sign Charlie, Willo and Gladders to add experience in the MF and up front, but it's a general pattern.

I think it's worth the club remembering that the club's reputation for a particular style of play has meant we've sold a lot of full backs and wingbacks for decent money over the years, well players that started in those positions anyway. Over the years I've probably seen more of them sold than any other position, (King, Bodin, Kerslake, Summerbee, Horlock (even if he was a midfielder by that point), Byrne. We probably pulled in more than £5m for that lot. It's be nice to continue producing that kind of player.

..never go back.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #934 on: Tuesday, January 17, 2023, 20:34:09 »

To back up what Sandro/Dalumpinski are saying, here's Peterborough's record sales list, obviously they're very good at this kind of thing.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/peterborough-united/rekordabgaenge/verein/1072

Of 13 £1m+ sales, only one (Ryan Bennett, CB) isn't a winger or forward.

It makes sense to skew the defenders towards the more experienced players in the team.

On our own list, you have to go down to 13th to find a defender (Bodin), assuming you don't count Byrne who was not a defender by the time we sold him!

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/swindon-town/rekordabgaenge/verein/352

« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 17, 2023, 20:36:18 by Nemo » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #935 on: Tuesday, January 17, 2023, 21:04:24 »

You don't need to be an expert to know that forwards go for more money, also, that they are pretty much the only players who go for any money at this level.  You also do not need to be an expert to know that you wouldn't just go and recruit and play 11 strikers as a result.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #936 on: Tuesday, January 17, 2023, 21:18:08 »

To back up what Sandro/Dalumpinski are saying, here's Peterborough's record sales list, obviously they're very good at this kind of thing.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/peterborough-united/rekordabgaenge/verein/1072

Of 13 £1m+ sales, only one (Ryan Bennett, CB) isn't a winger or forward.

It makes sense to skew the defenders towards the more experienced players in the team.

On our own list, you have to go down to 13th to find a defender (Bodin), assuming you don't count Byrne who was not a defender by the time we sold him!

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/swindon-town/rekordabgaenge/verein/352

Whilst the general principle remains this list has missed the Calderwood sale which would be put a defender in the top 10.

..never go back.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #937 on: Thursday, January 19, 2023, 13:37:06 »

According to SDM we are unlikely to sign Jephcott on a perm. Wants to sign FBT on a perm if that’s the only way we can keep him
Hyabb17

Ignore
« Reply #938 on: Thursday, January 19, 2023, 13:44:05 »

According to SDM we are unlikely to sign Jephcott on a perm. Wants to sign FBT on a perm if that’s the only way we can keep him

Yeah, he said that on Monday on the ''on the sofa'' chat with the supporters club. Said we'd only do FBT if we had too but he expects him to be here for the season.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #939 on: Thursday, January 19, 2023, 13:51:48 »

Yeah, he said that on Monday on the ''on the sofa'' chat with the supporters club. Said we'd only do FBT if we had too but he expects him to be here for the season.

I haven't seen it yet but this is the chat you allude to I think.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Hyabb17

Ignore
« Reply #940 on: Thursday, January 19, 2023, 13:59:34 »

I haven't seen it yet but this is the chat you allude to I think.

That's the one.
Steak supper

Ignore
« Reply #941 on: Thursday, January 19, 2023, 17:47:40 »

i watched one of those osc videos the other day - how do i get myself on the panel  ?
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #942 on: Thursday, January 19, 2023, 18:23:01 »

Well I hope Jephcott has been told personally.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #943 on: Thursday, January 19, 2023, 18:32:14 »

Well I hope Jephcott has been told personally.
Sounded that way from the last interview I saw/heard/read. Seem to recall him saying he’d enjoyed his time, but lots can happen in football. He hoped he would have scored more goals to this point and to kick on and he’d see where he was at the end of the season.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #944 on: Saturday, January 21, 2023, 17:52:56 »

Brennan staying on loan for the rest of the season
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 ... 198   Go Up
Print
Jump to: