Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 ... 198   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (2023/24 Edition)  (Read 346471 times)
ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #825 on: Thursday, December 22, 2022, 09:36:18 »

Fantastic news! Especially as he has almost singlehandedly helped us get to where we are with how leaky our defence is. We have the highest XG against from open play in the whole league and I dread to think where we would be with an average keeper between the sticks instead.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #826 on: Thursday, December 22, 2022, 09:50:40 »

Fantastic news! Especially as he has almost singlehandedly helped us get to where we are with how leaky our defence is. We have the highest XG against from open play in the whole league and I dread to think where we would be with an average keeper between the sticks instead.

We do? I note the "from open play" caveat, but Footystats have us in 19th (i.e. 6th best) at 1.26 overall, and 2nd best for xG created (1.75). I know sources vary etc. etc. but that at least would suggest we're mildly underperforming.
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 22, 2022, 09:54:41 by Nemo » Logged
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #827 on: Thursday, December 22, 2022, 09:52:56 »

If we're using the open play caveat, it isn't great reading up the other end either. Last open play goal was well over 400 minutes of game time ago.
DMC

« Reply #828 on: Thursday, December 22, 2022, 09:55:50 »

Stats that matter are we are 4th with a chance to improve the squad in January.

Great position to be in
ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #829 on: Thursday, December 22, 2022, 09:59:51 »

We do? I note the "from open play" caveat, but Footystats have us in 19th (i.e. 6th best) at 1.26 overall, and 2nd best for xG created (1.75). I know sources vary etc. etc. but that at least would suggest we're mildly underperforming.
The lovely people at Opta have us 2nd (put 1st originally oops) for expected goals against from open play. And we've conceded less than that which shows how well Brynn is doing. Brynn has 5 goals prevented Vs his expected goals against.
https://theanalyst.com/eu/2022/08/league-two-stats-2022-23/?_gl=1*1u2iul8*_ga*MTcyMDI3MTk4OC4xNjcwOTQzMDk0*_ga_BGFPTYQE1X*MTY3MTYzNzQ3My4yLjEuMTY3MTYzNzQ4My41MC4wLjA.
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 22, 2022, 10:11:02 by ThreeDrawsMentality » Logged
ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #830 on: Thursday, December 22, 2022, 10:01:39 »

Great position to be in
Aye it's definitely a great position to be in, especially with recruitment possibilities. But it doesn't bode well long term or sustainably that we can be so leaky and ride our luck with Brynn massively overperforming Vs every other L2 goalkeeper. We can't guarantee his form will last all season. We also can't guarantee that despite the quality we bring in in defence, that this current coaching setup can improve our leakiness
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #831 on: Thursday, December 22, 2022, 10:12:54 »

I think it's recognised we aren't the finished article Smiley

21 goals against isn't particularly leaky. I know your point is it might be but for Brynn, but it feels more stable than last year to my eyes

anyway, on looking that up so my eyes deceive me, or have Gillingham really only scored 6 goals?
ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #832 on: Thursday, December 22, 2022, 10:14:46 »

21 goals against isn't particularly leaky. I know your point is it might be but for Brynn, but it feels more stable than last year to my eyes

anyway, on looking that up so my eyes deceive me, or have Gillingham really only scored 6 goals?
Yup only 6 goals season to date. Absolutely grim season for them, although they're in the midst of a takeover by an American billionaire. Insert Larry David gif here.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #833 on: Thursday, December 22, 2022, 10:43:00 »

21 conceded after 22 games compares pretty well against other recent seasons;

When we won* the title under Wellens we had conceded 24 after 22 games, last season we had conceded 26 after 22 games.

So not as dire as possibly made out. 
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #834 on: Thursday, December 22, 2022, 10:59:54 »

Great position to be in

Week's ban if you post any more positive shit without at least having a little moan
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #835 on: Thursday, December 22, 2022, 11:16:59 »

If you look at our summer transfers, the hit rate isn't so bad.

Seem pretty good or better:

MacDonald
RHM
Shade
Wakeling
Lavinier
Darcy
Khan
Hutton
Clayton
Jephcott
Brennan
Brynn
FBT

Seem like missteps, although could still step up:

Adeloye
Harries (suggestion is he was a pre-Sandro/Scott L signing)

Never really expected to be part of first team/not really clear yet:

Brann
Massey
Roberts
Devine

The issues in the summer were more about the balance of who we signed in which positions rather than actual talent identification, in my view. Maybe I'm being overly generous, but not sure there are too many in first category that are really up for debate.

A lot of the fringier players were already at the club - we just don't seem to have been very ruthless in saying this person isn't going to be part of the squad and can be shipped out.

My list would be something like:

Hits:
FBT
Wakeling
Brynn
Macdonald
Hutton
Khan
Clayton
Darcy

TBC:
RHM
Lavinier
Jephcott
Shade
Brann
Massey
Devine

Missed:
Adeloye
Brennan
Harries

Quite similar but not as many hits as previously suggested
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #836 on: Thursday, December 22, 2022, 11:23:05 »

A similar list, I guess three of the TBC have missed a lot of time through injury and another couple were youngsters for the future.

On first look it would suggest about a 50% hit rate
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #837 on: Thursday, December 22, 2022, 12:00:48 »

I don’t get this ‘we’d be in the shit without Brynn’. He’s doing his job - very well at the moment - which is what he’s supposed to do. I don’t remember anyone saying we’d have been in the shit without Doyle’s goals. Why should it be any different just because our keeper is good.
oxonrobin

Ignore
« Reply #838 on: Thursday, December 22, 2022, 12:07:55 »

I don’t get this ‘we’d be in the shit without Brynn’. He’s doing his job - very well at the moment - which is what he’s supposed to do. I don’t remember anyone saying we’d have been in the shit without Doyle’s goals. Why should it be any different just because our keeper is good.

I think this view was born from those GK stats some time back across the 4 leagues that suggested that Brynn was saving far more than expected (xS?), could be concluded that we “should” have considerably fewer points than we do off the back of Brynn’s additional saves/over performing.

On Doyle, I think everyone acknowledged how important his goals were, but we did have a fair bit of the season without him, we weren’t shit by any stretch, but not title winners without him perhaps.
ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #839 on: Thursday, December 22, 2022, 12:13:54 »

We can and absolutely should be recognising Brynn's brilliance and yeah he is doing what every team wants from there goalkeeper, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't also be asking for a better and less leaky defence at the same time.
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 22, 2022, 12:46:11 by ThreeDrawsMentality » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 ... 198   Go Up
Print
Jump to: