Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 ... 198   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (2023/24 Edition)  (Read 346267 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #795 on: Tuesday, December 20, 2022, 12:24:57 »

Devine, Aguiar, Roberts, Adeloye, Parsons, Cowmeadow, Massey and Minturn could all go, probably on loan rather than permanently. But really depends on what comes in/the loanees - if FBT and Brennan go back, Devine and Minturn suddenly become pretty crucial.

One or two decent conference loans would be a real boost to our system I think - developing players is all well and good, but we need something in between Chippenham and our first team. Newport was the making of Twine, but we've not managed anything similar since.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #796 on: Tuesday, December 20, 2022, 12:34:56 »

wasn''t Devine injured again in that newport game? Not heard much about it

Reed I hope we don't cash in. But isn't he ooc at the end of the year and no doubt in reasonable wage

Wonder if Jephcott is enjoying it here or not? I guess we'll see in this window.

Other than Brennan and FBT going back I can't see any other outs being likely outside those Nemo listed
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #797 on: Tuesday, December 20, 2022, 13:41:24 »

Devine, Aguiar, Roberts, Adeloye, Parsons, Cowmeadow, Massey and Minturn could all go, probably on loan rather than permanently. But really depends on what comes in/the loanees - if FBT and Brennan go back, Devine and Minturn suddenly become pretty crucial.

One or two decent conference loans would be a real boost to our system I think - developing players is all well and good, but we need something in between Chippenham and our first team. Newport was the making of Twine, but we've not managed anything similar since.

I have vague recollection for saying something similar else where on the TEF recently.

We don’t get our players out on loan high enough up the pyramid. Particularly those who are past being youngsters fresh out the U18s.

Aguiar is a good example. Last season he came in & had some good games for us. Clearly a player in there. If he wasn’t going to be regularly in the squad this season then he’s exactly the type of player who would have massively benefited from a season long loan to a conference team.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #798 on: Tuesday, December 20, 2022, 14:40:23 »

I have vague recollection for saying something similar else where on the TEF recently.

We don’t get our players out on loan high enough up the pyramid. Particularly those who are past being youngsters fresh out the U18s.

Aguiar is a good example. Last season he came in & had some good games for us. Clearly a player in there. If he wasn’t going to be regularly in the squad this season then he’s exactly the type of player who would have massively benefited from a season long loan to a conference team.

I wonder whether its simply a case of us not having links to any of the localish National League clubs, who would that be Eastleigh and Aldershot? with most of the NL teams being professional these days is the difference that great really between NL and L2?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #799 on: Tuesday, December 20, 2022, 15:47:23 »

I wonder whether its simply a case of us not having links to any of the localish National League clubs, who would that be Eastleigh and Aldershot? with most of the NL teams being professional these days is the difference that great really between NL and L2?

All the more reason to get them out on loan & playing regularly in the NL is the standard is very similar.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #800 on: Tuesday, December 20, 2022, 16:19:35 »

All the more reason to get them out on loan & playing regularly in the NL is the standard is very similar.

Playing devils advocate, if the standard of football and player is very similar why do they want our youngsters if they already have similar. It why I assume NLS is where they are ending up as the variations in level reflect that, much as us getting young L1 Champ players in. 

We do seem to be a bit chaotic in it all with some going out and playing and others playing and then we recall before they play very much albeit injuries don't seem to be helping.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #801 on: Tuesday, December 20, 2022, 18:03:03 »

I think one of the differences with loans to the NLS is that the clubs ar part time - so when they are on loan at eg Chippenham, the players are able to train with our squad during the week.
Most national league clubs are full time now so they couldn’t do that, which may be a factor in the approach.
Obviously the standard they gain experience at is lower in NLS, but it’s probably a similar level physically.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #802 on: Tuesday, December 20, 2022, 20:26:09 »

Playing devils advocate, if the standard of football and player is very similar why do they want our youngsters if they already have similar. It why I assume NLS is where they are ending up as the variations in level reflect that, much as us getting young L1 Champ players in. 

We do seem to be a bit chaotic in it all with some going out and playing and others playing and then we recall before they play very much albeit injuries don't seem to be helping.

Gaps in their squad they need to fill.

It’s like asking why did we bring FBT in from a bottom of the table L1 club. There can’t be that much difference between bottom of L1 and top 8 of L2 but we needed a left back, so we bought him in.

There might be a NL club that need a central midfielder with an eye for a goal or two to play every week, for example
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #803 on: Wednesday, December 21, 2022, 09:21:39 »

Possibly so but then one must assume that none of them feel our younger players are good enough to fill any of the gaps.
DMC

« Reply #804 on: Wednesday, December 21, 2022, 12:48:30 »

Been told to expect a very busy and productive window
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #805 on: Wednesday, December 21, 2022, 12:50:57 »

Excellent that is exciting. Are we likely to ship any out (including on loan) do you think?
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #806 on: Wednesday, December 21, 2022, 12:51:31 »

Let's hope for quality over quantity.

So, give no fucks
Hyabb17

Ignore
« Reply #807 on: Wednesday, December 21, 2022, 13:14:12 »

I've also been told that the Austin deal isn't dead so the coming days could be interesting.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #808 on: Wednesday, December 21, 2022, 14:37:41 »

Oooh. Interesting and exciting.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #809 on: Wednesday, December 21, 2022, 16:50:44 »

On the one hand, I hope this comes with significant learning, the fear is more of the same form this past summer.  The spreadsheet seems to have used the =RAND() formula a little too often for my liking.

Take FBT for example - he is clearly quite competent and probably the best left back at the club, plus he brings some versatility by looking OK at centre back.  For me, he's one we could tick off as being a good enough signing, but, he still looks like a player we should be doing better than if we want to be top 3 (and we should be aiming for that).
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 ... 198   Go Up
Print
Jump to: