Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 198   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (2023/24 Edition)  (Read 346273 times)
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Saturday, July 23, 2022, 07:19:39 »

fans can’t start whinging when a player is sold. We’re already actually paying transfer fees now so that’s a start.

Yes but we need to get out of this shit league first before we start selling our best assets every year. League one is where the money is and that's where we need to be. No good making a quick 300k here and 400k there if it's going to be detrimental to our promotion chances. I understand the money would be reinvested but I think there's certain scenarios where I'd prefer to keep a player and he leaves on a free rather than cashing in. For example we could probably sell Reed for a few hundred thousand but replacing what he brings us will be extremely difficult.

Once you get to league one, good seasons from players turn the transfer fees from the low to mid hundred thousands to potentially the millions.

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: Saturday, July 23, 2022, 07:19:52 »

He’s spot on about leaving the striker positions to perm signings and not loans as that’s where the money is if we’re adhering to the new model.

It’s exactly what Peterborough do - almost all there big money transfers are them selling strikers. Certainly can’t think of any other positions where they’ve sold for big money.

Obviously we’re starting off from a lowish level but it’s about building year on year and us fans can’t start whinging when a player is sold. We’re already actually paying transfer fees now so that’s a start.

If ever the phrase speculate to accumulate is apt it’s this way of doing business.

Peterborough made a lot of money on Ryan Bennett (centre back) but that was very much the exception not the rule, otherwise it's all central strikers or goalscoring wide forwards.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: Saturday, July 23, 2022, 07:34:42 »

Sandro waffles a bit but I do like him.

Slightly disappointed that he only sees our budget as just above mid table given the reduction in debt, season ticket sales and attendances from last year. And any Twine money that we may / may not have seen yet.

Look, I know a bag of money has never won a football match and it's how you spend it that counts, but i'd of liked to have seen us in the top 6/7 of budgets at least. Maybe we still will be by the end of august.

I would imagine once our internal debt has gone the shackles will be off a bit more.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Saturday, July 23, 2022, 08:08:02 »

Yes but we need to get out of this shit league first before we start selling our best assets every year. League one is where the money is and that's where we need to be. No good making a quick 300k here and 400k there if it's going to be detrimental to our promotion chances. I understand the money would be reinvested but I think there's certain scenarios where I'd prefer to keep a player and he leaves on a free rather than cashing in. For example we could probably sell Reed for a few hundred thousand but replacing what he brings us will be extremely difficult.

Once you get to league one, good seasons from players turn the transfer fees from the low to mid hundred thousands to potentially the millions.

I suppose we’ll find out soon enough if we fend off offers for McGirty and Reed.
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: Saturday, July 23, 2022, 08:16:01 »

I wonder how realistic new deals are for the pair of them.

McKirdy would probably value the security of a 3 year contract given he was struggling to even find a club last summer. Could work for both parties.

Reed would be more difficult.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Saturday, July 23, 2022, 08:35:25 »

Twitter reckons Pompey are all over signing McKirdy.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #246 on: Saturday, July 23, 2022, 08:43:56 »

I am pretty confident neither McKirdy or Reed would sign extentions at this point.

I am preparing to lose at least 1 if not both before the end of the transfer window.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: Saturday, July 23, 2022, 08:52:33 »

Well, our model is to buy cheap and sell high so both should be sold. Hence when I posted earlier about us fans shouldn’t whinge when it happens.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Saturday, July 23, 2022, 09:08:39 »

Well, our model is to buy cheap and sell high so both should be sold. Hence when I posted earlier about us fans shouldn’t whinge when it happens.

Our model also includes winning football matches though, right?

I get your point but late July - is not the time to be selling your squads top players - even with decent money on the table, it doesn’t give us enough time to sign any replacements and get them gelled into the team.

It’s counter productive at this point - we’d probably lose money on finishing position / tv revenue / ticket sales in the long term.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Saturday, July 23, 2022, 09:11:26 »

My interpretation is that the focus of the model is to develop young talent & then sell them on.

For core players it would be more a case of "everyone has their price" and then it would be at club discretion as & when values are met & if they want to move on of course.
McKirdy & Reed are established pros who would be difficult  to replace like for like and without setting us back.
So maybe a separate strategy in place to the "model" in their case.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #250 on: Saturday, July 23, 2022, 09:11:50 »

The thing is we have ALWAYS been a selling club and always will be, so its not a huge change for us to accept.

We just have to ebrace the players we have when they have great seasons, of which we have had many through the years but not many last more than just a couple of seasons.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: Saturday, July 23, 2022, 09:24:08 »

Well I absolutely would whinge if that happened because the pair are completely integral to how we play and any success we might have this season.

Once we are out of this shit league then we can faff about trying to flip players because it's a lot easier to not be one of the 4 shittest sides in the division and slowly progress up the table than it is to be one of the best 3 teams in league 2.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: Saturday, July 23, 2022, 09:24:45 »

That's very true re selling club.

The days of a a player sticking around for more than 2 or 3 years on average at our level are long gone.

Would be a minor miracle for a player to reach 200 first team apps for Town these days.

#CherishEllis  !!

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: Saturday, July 23, 2022, 09:37:00 »

As Sandra said last night, 90 of the 92 Clubs are selling Clubs to a greater or lesser degree.

Re. McKirdy and Reed, all we can do is wait and see. Maybe, just maybe the current management regime will take a different view to those that have gone before and will see the longer term benefits in not cashing in now.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: Saturday, July 23, 2022, 09:44:44 »

Mckirdy is an absolute talisman for the club. I'd definitely be looking to get him tied up to a much longer contract, with a sell on clause so the opportunity isn't closed for Harry to get a big move if he repeats what he did last season. If Harry's head is moved by Pompey's interest then we are in trouble anyway as repeatedly rejecting offers could see Harry throw in a transfer request.

There are many factors to this, I absolutely want to keep Harry, but do we risk keeping him this season and going for a free the end of this? Or of course we get promoted and he signs a new deal with us. Risk v reward.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 198   Go Up
Print
Jump to: