Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 201   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (2023/24 Edition)  (Read 354646 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Friday, July 22, 2022, 18:13:25 »

I'd rather not know😀

So, give no fucks
1989Monkey

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Friday, July 22, 2022, 18:19:46 »

The midfielder sounds like Jack Payne, no?

That was my initial thought. I can’t think of any other midfielder league 1 signings that I would have been really impressed with
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Friday, July 22, 2022, 18:31:37 »

Was this on the TalkSport interview that I asked someone to summarise because I was unable to listen?

You can listen now on BBC Sounds...

https://twitter.com/bbcwiltssport

Just scroll down a little bit...

Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Friday, July 22, 2022, 20:05:07 »

Sandro waffles a bit but I do like him.

Slightly disappointed that he only sees our budget as just above mid table given the reduction in debt, season ticket sales and attendances from last year. And any Twine money that we may / may not have seen yet.

Look, I know a bag of money has never won a football match and it's how you spend it that counts, but i'd of liked to have seen us in the top 6/7 of budgets at least. Maybe we still will be by the end of august.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Friday, July 22, 2022, 20:16:28 »

Maybe we are top 6 or 7 in terms of budget, the number and quality of signings we've made suggest we could be. He's bound to play it down though...

He's growing on me though.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: Friday, July 22, 2022, 20:28:57 »

I suspect he's been downplaying the budget to agents and was trying to be very careful with his words as negotiations are ongoing.  We will be top 6ish but clearly Stockport, Crawley, Salford will be miles ahead of us.

Most interesting comment was that Reed and Williams both were on 2 year deals even though we were under embargo and could only sign 1 yr deals.

Wonder if they were backloaded so £1500 last year and £4k this year as it was a shock to sign them given the state we were in.

Really like Sandro, ticks alot of boxes, let's hope the many new faces perform as well.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Friday, July 22, 2022, 20:48:14 »

Actions speak louder than words and given that we appear to have made some pretty decent signings so far, I like him a lot more than I did. If those signing live up to their promise, I'll like him even more.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Friday, July 22, 2022, 21:09:10 »

I suspect he's been downplaying the budget to agents and was trying to be very careful with his words as negotiations are ongoing.  We will be top 6ish but clearly Stockport, Crawley, Salford will be miles ahead of us.

Most interesting comment was that Reed and Williams both were on 2 year deals even though we were under embargo and could only sign 1 yr deals.

Wonder if they were backloaded so £1500 last year and £4k this year as it was a shock to sign them given the state we were in.

Really like Sandro, ticks alot of boxes, let's hope the many new faces perform as well.

I don't know but would imagine Bradford, Mansfield & Northampton are also ahead of us.

So, give no fucks
ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Friday, July 22, 2022, 21:35:03 »

Reece Brown fits the bill
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Friday, July 22, 2022, 22:01:42 »

There is a January transfer window too you know. 😉
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Friday, July 22, 2022, 22:21:11 »

Sandro interview summary:

Data:
- Trying to do what Brentford (and Brighton) have done with data. Data is a big part but not the only part. There is style of play, philosophy and letting people move on.

Simpson:
- Would like to own players like him and showcase him rather than get loan players.
- Only worth £600k is someone will pay it

Loans:
- Don't know whether we will use last 3 loans. Know what areas of the squad we want to improve. We will now get the best players to improve the team, whether that is perm or loan
- Sandro doesn't like loans at the top of the pitch as that is where the most money can be made from developing your own
- Would like to tap into the top teams' U23s and thinks we are an attractive proposition

Strikers:
- Stats last year showed we were poor finishing from 12 yards. We have identified someone we want, who is a fox in the box. If a really good, big number 9 became available, we might go for that too.
- Don't think we *have* to strengthen up top as we have options. But we may be a little light up top. We will only strengthen with the right player

Squad:
- Need a balance of youth and experience to get the best out of everyone

Data:
- Got into it through betting industry and working in odds compilation and risk management
- Moved into PR. Built relationships in the game
- Brentford and Brighton model well established, but lower clubs weren't using it.
- Geek at heart and set up a consultancy to help clubs he'd built up PR relationships with
- Opta is the market leader. AI is used to gather data for providers. Club have contracts with several data providers. Need a good team of analysts to interpret the data and provide it to the management team.
- STFC's use is innovative, but didn't want to reveal how or why.
- More emphasis placed on videos and scouting data plus GPS data. Harder to get with less experienced players. Its harder and takes a little longer to consider

Pitch:
- Looking at 'marginal gains'. Wind is one, so there is some merit in putting wind breakers in, but its not that simple.

Most exciting signings:
- Angus MacDonald is most exciting signing to Sandro. Ball playing defender who has an impressive record and outstanding credentials (In interview he said wanted to move closer to family although his partner is from oop north)
- Tom Clayton is a project and will take time to develop. Needs to put on muscle. A Lpool U23 captain and Scottish international
- Saidou Khan is technically gifted, but is robust and provides something different to last year's midfield, the way he drives forward. Exceptional in NL last year. Data is also very good.
- Tome Adeloye looks good. Scotland is an untapped area. Got international clearance today.

Hunt, Payne, Lyden & Budgets:
- Hunt: Offer put to him. He's a free agent now. Surprised someone hasn't snapped him up. Sure it won't be long before he's signed
- Payne: Wanted to play at the highest level possible. Made best offer we could
- 40% Figure: The figure, how its been previously been stated, was misleading. We have a competitive budget. That will be upper mid table. We had one of the lowest budgets last year. Would love more of a budget, but we can't compete financially
- Lyden: Not under contract, but we have duty of care to help him rehab. He has been great to have around. September/October time will be when the situation is reviewed.

Odds on Promotion?
- Models tell him that we around 5-1 or 6-1
- Salford, Bradford, Mansfield, Northampton, Stockport and Crawley are the teams to watch

Kit:
- Saw there were some shirts in the club shop today, but didn't know details

Manager Selection Process?
- Easiest thing would have to have brought his own man in
- Delayed decision to do due diligence
- Went through a full process when talked to candidates and sporting directors
- Made sure successful candidate was aligned to plans for style, philosophy etc
- Not many people out there who share the same values. Lindsay was the best candidate and at the same time offered continuity and stability
- There are a lot of people in football who would say anything to get a job. Said they were bought in, but demostrated quickly that they weren't

Marquee Signing:
- Angus MacDonald is one
- Protracted conversations with Sol Bamba. Got really close and agreed terms. But he had some family issued in Portugal, which ment he couldn't commit at this time.
- Got really close with some others, including Will Grigg and a midfielder who signed for a L1 club
- Marquee signings aren't necessarily whats not needed. Some who don't appear marquee can turn into them

Data Analysts:
- Brighton and Brentford staff are the best in the country

Aguilar:
- See him as the future of our midfield. Serious jump last year

U23s:
- A team costs a lot of money. We have U18 and then map out where we want them to go on loan
- Dabre and Parsons good example. More will likely go out this year

Cardiff & Worthing:
- Strong squad vs Cardiff
- Bit of a mix that will go to Worthing

Williams, Reed & McKirdy
- Said he thought they had signed 2 year deals before he arrived
- Everyone has a price.

Coaching:
- Might have something to announce about an addition to coaching staff next week

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Saturday, July 23, 2022, 04:58:20 »

Sandro interview summary:

Data:
- Trying to do what Brentford (and Brighton) have done with data. Data is a big part but not the only part. There is style of play, philosophy and letting people move on.

Simpson:
- Would like to own players like him and showcase him rather than get loan players.
- Only worth £600k is someone will pay it

Loans:
- Don't know whether we will use last 3 loans. Know what areas of the squad we want to improve. We will now get the best players to improve the team, whether that is perm or loan
- Sandro doesn't like loans at the top of the pitch as that is where the most money can be made from developing your own
- Would like to tap into the top teams' U23s and thinks we are an attractive proposition

Strikers:
- Stats last year showed we were poor finishing from 12 yards. We have identified someone we want, who is a fox in the box. If a really good, big number 9 became available, we might go for that too.
- Don't think we *have* to strengthen up top as we have options. But we may be a little light up top. We will only strengthen with the right player

Squad:
- Need a balance of youth and experience to get the best out of everyone

Data:
- Got into it through betting industry and working in odds compilation and risk management
- Moved into PR. Built relationships in the game
- Brentford and Brighton model well established, but lower clubs weren't using it.
- Geek at heart and set up a consultancy to help clubs he'd built up PR relationships with
- Opta is the market leader. AI is used to gather data for providers. Club have contracts with several data providers. Need a good team of analysts to interpret the data and provide it to the management team.
- STFC's use is innovative, but didn't want to reveal how or why.
- More emphasis placed on videos and scouting data plus GPS data. Harder to get with less experienced players. Its harder and takes a little longer to consider

Pitch:
- Looking at 'marginal gains'. Wind is one, so there is some merit in putting wind breakers in, but its not that simple.

Most exciting signings:
- Angus MacDonald is most exciting signing to Sandro. Ball playing defender who has an impressive record and outstanding credentials (In interview he said wanted to move closer to family although his partner is from oop north)
- Tom Clayton is a project and will take time to develop. Needs to put on muscle. A Lpool U23 captain and Scottish international
- Saidou Khan is technically gifted, but is robust and provides something different to last year's midfield, the way he drives forward. Exceptional in NL last year. Data is also very good.
- Tome Adeloye looks good. Scotland is an untapped area. Got international clearance today.

Hunt, Payne, Lyden & Budgets:
- Hunt: Offer put to him. He's a free agent now. Surprised someone hasn't snapped him up. Sure it won't be long before he's signed
- Payne: Wanted to play at the highest level possible. Made best offer we could
- 40% Figure: The figure, how its been previously been stated, was misleading. We have a competitive budget. That will be upper mid table. We had one of the lowest budgets last year. Would love more of a budget, but we can't compete financially
- Lyden: Not under contract, but we have duty of care to help him rehab. He has been great to have around. September/October time will be when the situation is reviewed.

Odds on Promotion?
- Models tell him that we around 5-1 or 6-1
- Salford, Bradford, Mansfield, Northampton, Stockport and Crawley are the teams to watch

Kit:
- Saw there were some shirts in the club shop today, but didn't know details

Manager Selection Process?
- Easiest thing would have to have brought his own man in
- Delayed decision to do due diligence
- Went through a full process when talked to candidates and sporting directors
- Made sure successful candidate was aligned to plans for style, philosophy etc
- Not many people out there who share the same values. Lindsay was the best candidate and at the same time offered continuity and stability
- There are a lot of people in football who would say anything to get a job. Said they were bought in, but demostrated quickly that they weren't

Marquee Signing:
- Angus MacDonald is one
- Protracted conversations with Sol Bamba. Got really close and agreed terms. But he had some family issued in Portugal, which ment he couldn't commit at this time.
- Got really close with some others, including Will Grigg and a midfielder who signed for a L1 club
- Marquee signings aren't necessarily whats not needed. Some who don't appear marquee can turn into them

Data Analysts:
- Brighton and Brentford staff are the best in the country

Aguilar:
- See him as the future of our midfield. Serious jump last year

U23s:
- A team costs a lot of money. We have U18 and then map out where we want them to go on loan
- Dabre and Parsons good example. More will likely go out this year

Cardiff & Worthing:
- Strong squad vs Cardiff
- Bit of a mix that will go to Worthing

Williams, Reed & McKirdy
- Said he thought they had signed 2 year deals before he arrived
- Everyone has a price.

Coaching:
- Might have something to announce about an addition to coaching staff next week
Cheers for that write up.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
oxonrobin

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Saturday, July 23, 2022, 06:01:03 »

Yeah, thanks. I think this bit was my favourite:

“There are a lot of people in football who would say anything to get a job.” I wonder who he had in mind in particular?

He’s made a decent first impression. I like most of what he has to say, just Hope it works out on the pitch.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Saturday, July 23, 2022, 06:08:27 »

He’s spot on about leaving the striker positions to perm signings and not loans as that’s where the money is if we’re adhering to the new model.

It’s exactly what Peterborough do - almost all there big money transfers are them selling strikers. Certainly can’t think of any other positions where they’ve sold for big money.

Obviously we’re starting off from a lowish level but it’s about building year on year and us fans can’t start whinging when a player is sold. We’re already actually paying transfer fees now so that’s a start.

If ever the phrase speculate to accumulate is apt it’s this way of doing business.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Saturday, July 23, 2022, 06:31:13 »

I wonder why he would name Will Grigg and not the 'mystery' midfielder?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 201   Go Up
Print
Jump to: