Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 ... 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Newport County pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 34810 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #375 on: Saturday, April 9, 2022, 22:54:11 »

Quote from: TheDukeOfBanbury
Less slack and a reduced budget.

This isn't the first time I've heard of a reduced budget for next year.

obviously I hope you have been misinformed. Mainly because how the hell can it go from embargo to even more reduced.

we shall see.

if it is true, I hope they trust and shadow board are all over it as to the reasons.

I don't like saying it. but I've started to get some concerns. minor things that are adding up to what I hope is 2+2=5

I think personally Xavier Austin's involvement that has me on edge

we will see. happy to be a paranoid cunt
Robinz

Ignore
« Reply #376 on: Saturday, April 9, 2022, 23:07:30 »

Really can't understand what has happened.
I am sure I put more effort into this match than the players did.
2 am start and now a pissed off Sunday morning.  Bad Mood
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #377 on: Sunday, April 10, 2022, 00:30:58 »

I'm settling for mid table. Don't want another Preston debacle. Hopefully Rovers lose the final  Smiley
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #378 on: Sunday, April 10, 2022, 03:24:08 »

STFC Chairman speaks! Rooaarrr!

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #379 on: Sunday, April 10, 2022, 04:40:55 »

This isn't the first time I've heard of a reduced budget for next year.

obviously I hope you have been misinformed. Mainly because how the hell can it go from embargo to even more reduced.

we shall see.

if it is true, I hope they trust and shadow board are all over it as to the reasons.

I don't like saying it. but I've started to get some concerns. minor things that are adding up to what I hope is 2+2=5

I think personally Xavier Austin's involvement that has me on edge

we will see. happy to be a paranoid cunt
Guess with the narrative of a reduced budget, it's to what extent is it reduced. If it's something significant like >£250k then I'd find that worrying, but if it's something minor like £100k, I can live with that. Especially if our recruitment is smart and we can maximise it.

Know they have the big spender tag and I hate to give them in particular any credit, but FGRs budget has significantly reduced over the past 2 seasons to something much more modest and they've seemed to have gotten better for it by recruiting smarter. Some wise signings from non-league and Scotland.

This can hopefully be avoided if Twine goes for something big in the summer. And we may start to see budgets being increased once we've cleared all the debts. I may however just be clutching at straws.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #380 on: Sunday, April 10, 2022, 05:49:33 »

Reduced budget? That must be a sick joke in very poor taste.

In footballing terms we’ve been fielding a squad and debt reducing while living off a food bank. The only way we can attract the calibre of player to get us into the L1 and then the championship is to have a squad of twelve players. As for the ground rebuild where are they going to get the materials, Legoland?
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #381 on: Sunday, April 10, 2022, 07:13:59 »

Unless Garner recruits players with some power and strength in midfield next season I fear the outcome is almost certainly to be similar to this season.

Problem is, those kind of players don’t seem to be part of Garner's masterplan. You can’t have ball players in every position. Some pragmatism is needed.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #382 on: Sunday, April 10, 2022, 07:32:29 »

Players like Jack Payne will be gone. Reed will get a better offer elsewhere.
Notwithstanding these current crop of players are currently on the base line of wages at this level. The intent of the Board must be to lift the embargo and compete with the likes of Mansfield and Northampton.
If we can’t compete with these clubs at this level for the better players with our attendances then we have every right to question the intent.
I am not convinced, the Court room battles are far from over.

I applaud the intent of transparency but doubts remain on where Stander, Zav and Clem really are with the off the field court room battles with Power and his associates.
As for Karachi- need to be looking closer at home for signing players if you don’t want to potentially risk losing a couple of thousand off the home attendances.

You won’t win anything with a team of untried inexperienced kids on bargain basement budgets.
ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #383 on: Sunday, April 10, 2022, 07:35:04 »

Think RE Payne that's completely understandable, especially as he's had top L1 interest for past few windows. Also heard that we've only had to contribute a portion of his wages as Lincoln were still covering a portion too.
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #384 on: Sunday, April 10, 2022, 08:45:38 »

I don't know what's happened to the Town End since the original lockdown but it's actually quite embarrassing now.

Have certain regulars moved away? it's a shocking atmosphere. I know the sound doesn't travel particularly well but it was a library yesterday. We only sing when we're winning too. Most of the chants sounded like only around 1 in 3 or 4 people bothered to join in. Why chose to be in that stand and not sing?
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #385 on: Sunday, April 10, 2022, 08:57:34 »

As a young lad I'd be saying yeah we'll win the next 5 or 6 and make top 7 no problem.

Older and wiser now.
Realised that the season was up on spotting a disgruntled Batch heading down the steps before the final whistle.

Most of us would have taken mid table in July, but it will be disappointing if we do miss out having been up there for most of the season.
Not been good enough at home and lacked consistency overall with not being able to put a run of more than 3 wins together.
We could still make it of course, but it's looking like a missed opportunity. A shame.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #386 on: Sunday, April 10, 2022, 10:14:25 »

Disappointing result - until the goal Newport never really threatened. Wollacott was clearly at fault - started to come, hesitated and caught in no man’s land as a result.
Once again we didn’t score during the first half, when we were clearly the better side and had good chances. I’d like to see the disallowed goal again as it must have been a tight call.
We were less creative after the break - the best chance was probably either Davison not quite getting on the end of a cross shot, or the one after a cut back from the right, when Gladwin  was lining up a shot and Williams got in the way and pushed the ball wide to Iandolo.
Criticism of the substitutions is harsh, as in the second half several players clearly tired or were nursing knocks - Barry was struggling for 5-10 mins before he came off, we thought we saw Payne signal to the bench too (shortly before he was replaced), and Tomlinson obviously couldn’t continue. Also, Davison was noticeably less mobile / able to chase down after the collision and treatment he received and Williams disappeared after about 65 minutes. There is a case that Egbo should have come on rather than JML or Aguiar, but that’s based on a couple of cameos really.
The lack of squad depth is proving costly at the sharp end of the season.

My final comment is to address criticism of the style of play - I agree with what Andrew Hawes, who during one of the post match interviews I heard in the car on my way home from the game (I think it was teh Baudry one) said “I wouldn’t want to watch Sutton more than twice a season. “ I agree 100% - hoofing upfield  to big forwards and battling for second balls is not my idea of football.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #387 on: Sunday, April 10, 2022, 10:31:09 »

“I wouldn’t want to watch Sutton more than twice a season. “ I agree 100% - hoofing upfield  to big forwards and battling for second balls is not my idea of football.
I agree, I dont want to in at all costs and watching dire shit like Sutton and others but we do need to mix up the pretty stuff with some guts and strength not just lightweight players.

If you look at our midfield its comprised of Williams, Payne, Reed, Iandolo and Aguiar (and Gladwin when fit) thats a side with some good quality when on the ball but pretty poor and lightweight when off the ball.

Davison for all his effort and enthusiasm has ball control like hes got springs on his boots and struggles to find the net, hes not the solution even at this level.

We need a proper experienced target man if we are going to play that way like Jamille Matt or Akinfenwa, who will put themself into scoring positions and sctually get some goals but also run the defence ragged at the same time with their experience.

I would love to see Simpson return but I think in L2 we will have little chance of attracting his services full time, hes been THE biggest loss for me since January.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
REDBUCK

« Reply #388 on: Sunday, April 10, 2022, 10:32:30 »

It isn't the lump forward that's required, its the positive ball forward to feet when have the chance. Lots of our players don't play any type of risky ball but check out and go backwards if it's not 100 % on.

It's also the same for free kicks or crosses, the first thought is possession instead of just swinging it into the box and challange for the scraps.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #389 on: Sunday, April 10, 2022, 10:41:18 »

Sutton have won more games than us. So I’d gladly watch them over our inefficient boring pointless possession based nothingness.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 ... 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: