Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 ... 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Newport County pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 34826 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #390 on: Sunday, April 10, 2022, 10:44:56 »

It isn't the lump forward that's required, its the positive ball forward to feet when have the chance. Lots of our players don't play any type of risky ball but check out and go backwards if it's not 100 % on.

It's also the same for free kicks or crosses, the first thought is possession instead of just swinging it into the box and challange for the scraps.
This is definately one of the most frustrating things we do, we dont take risks around the oppositions box, yet take risks around our own.

Nobody wants to try a through ball into the box when they can keep possession with 3 sideways passes instead and still end up losing it, this is why we miss McKirdy as he is willing to try a threaded pass or risk a shot from an angle forcing the keeper into making a save and possibly spilling it.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #391 on: Sunday, April 10, 2022, 10:49:36 »

This is definately one of the most frustrating things we do, we dont take risks around the oppositions box, yet take risks around our own.

Nobody wants to try a through ball into the box when they can keep possession with 3 sideways passes instead and still end up losing it, this is why we miss McKirdy as he is willing to try a threaded pass or shot from an angle.

I also think Reeds contributes to this by always been open for the safe pass.

I still can’t work out if it’s great movement by Reed to always be free for the safe pass or teams just let him go so we do play the safe pass.

I’ll be honest if I was setting up against Swindon I’d happily give Reed a yard or two of space to receive the ball then close him down rather than marking him…
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #392 on: Sunday, April 10, 2022, 10:50:26 »

…but..we’ve also looked just as toothless without Reed, so maybe it’s a redundant point and more about our tactics than individual players
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #393 on: Sunday, April 10, 2022, 11:37:14 »

The issue of who to pass to is a major problem.  À lot of the time our players have only one pass to make.  Very easy to set up against.  When we had Kasim, Luongo, Thompson and Gladwin in our midfield there were always two options, usually three and sometimes four.  That's what we need to get back to.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #394 on: Sunday, April 10, 2022, 11:49:17 »

As well as being too lightweight, too predictable we're very rarely a threat from set pieces.

So, give no fucks
REDBUCK

« Reply #395 on: Sunday, April 10, 2022, 11:50:34 »

That's because Iandolo and Payne drift too wide, IMHO, filling the space the full backs should look to move into. This leaves a big gap in centre midfield.

There were times yesterday when no red shirt occupied that space.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #396 on: Sunday, April 10, 2022, 11:51:50 »

Which is probably the managers instructions
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 10, 2022, 11:54:26 by Jimmy QuitMoaning » Logged

So, give no fucks
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #397 on: Sunday, April 10, 2022, 12:06:00 »

The issue of who to pass to is a major problem.  À lot of the time our players have only one pass to make.  Very easy to set up against.  When we had Kasim, Luongo, Thompson and Gladwin in our midfield there were always two options, usually three and sometimes four.  That's what we need to get back to.

The passes are definitely there on occasion but our players would rather (or are told to) pass it back/sideways 5 yards safely to Reed than gamble with a forward pass.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #398 on: Sunday, April 10, 2022, 12:21:24 »

The passes are definitely there on occasion but our players would rather (or are told to) pass it back/sideways 5 yards safely to Reed than gamble with a forward pass.
This.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #399 on: Sunday, April 10, 2022, 12:27:35 »

Quote from: Wobbly Bob

Realised that the season was up on spotting a disgruntled Batch heading down the steps before the final whistle.

hahaha, still couldn't leave before final whistle though. stood at bottom! 

wanted a quick get away because Mrs Batch was picking me up and didn't know if there would be road closures during the frog march of Newport to the station.

I was most definitely in a foul mood though. no mistake.
--
I actually don't think it's over. but we must win the next 2 really
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #400 on: Sunday, April 10, 2022, 12:28:42 »

Quote from: REDBUCK
It isn't the lump forward that's required, its the positive ball forward to feet when have the chance. Lots of our players don't play any type of risky ball but check out and go backwards if it's not 100 % on.

It's also the same for free kicks or crosses, the first thought is possession instead of just swinging it into the box and challange for the scraps.

spot on.

just not quick enough in thought or brave enough to try
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #401 on: Sunday, April 10, 2022, 12:36:39 »

I would say more not brave enough as Williams, Gladwin, Payne, Reed etc are experienced players who have played at a higher level as in Williams case he's definitely not slow.

So, give no fucks
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #402 on: Sunday, April 10, 2022, 13:12:12 »

It might just be me, but is Rob Hunt getting worse?
The last few weeks he’s been poor.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #403 on: Sunday, April 10, 2022, 13:27:50 »

We all (rightly) took the piss out of Luke Williams “3 draws = a win” comment, but it made more sense than thinking it’s ok to praise the team because we had more possession than Newport when they walked off with 3 points.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #404 on: Sunday, April 10, 2022, 13:35:00 »

Williams should be bossing this division with ease.
When you consider his talent he’s been a wet blanket for us. He’s shown flashes of brilliance but nothing more.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 ... 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: