Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 52   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Papa John’s Tournament???  (Read 64007 times)
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: Wednesday, October 13, 2021, 15:56:34 »

You should try telling staff over here that you pulled together the analysis on the back of a fag packet.

Those are cigarettes, correct?  why are cigarettes called "Fags"?
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Wednesday, October 13, 2021, 15:59:13 »

When I was in high school, me and about 7 other teammates went to a soccer camp at the Naval Academy in Maryland.
this is about 1100 miles away .   anyway, while we were there we were basically zoo animals for the other players...they would ask us if we had indians (feather on head kind) still in Nebraska.  They asked if we still used outhouses for the toilet.  all of this was in earnest. 

this is what i feel like again  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Wednesday, October 13, 2021, 16:00:29 »

I guess this is for me??? in soccer that is "bending" the ball with curve....

it also means going to some place like Vegas and drinking for many days.... "Bob went on a bender this weekend"

I know about the term to go on a bender, but why would a QB be described as a "bender"? It doesn't seem to fit either of those phrases?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Wednesday, October 13, 2021, 16:01:18 »

Those are cigarettes, correct?  why are cigarettes called "Fags"?

yeah they are cigarettes, not a clue as to why they are known as fags, Dr Google or Susie Dent would be your best bet Smiley

According to a random site I found after a quick Alta Vista search..........

'Hand rolled cigarettes often have loose strands of tobacco sticking out of the end. These were thought to resemble the cut, and frayed end of a piece of rope, called the fag-end. Cigarettes were therefore referred to as fag ends, quickly shortened to fags.'
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 13, 2021, 16:03:54 by Bob's Orange » Logged

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Wednesday, October 13, 2021, 16:07:16 »

When I was in high school, me and about 7 other teammates went to a soccer camp at the Naval Academy in Maryland.
this is about 1100 miles away .   anyway, while we were there we were basically zoo animals for the other players...they would ask us if we had indians (feather on head kind) still in Nebraska.  They asked if we still used outhouses for the toilet.  all of this was in earnest. 

this is what i feel like again  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

The language in the 2 countries, despite both English speaking can be very different.

I remember in Florida I popped into a shop to pick up a few bits of food etc but I left a bag and went back and said I had left 'a bag of shopping' in the store from earlier. The assistant looked at me as if I had 2 heads. 'Your what?' she said. 'my shopping, in a bag' I replied. I had to translate this to 'groceries' before she knew what I was talking about.

Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: Wednesday, October 13, 2021, 16:13:47 »

I know about the term to go on a bender, but why would a QB be described as a "bender"? It doesn't seem to fit either of those phrases?
\

i am not sure...i tried to find the tweet but no luck..i would have to read it
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: Wednesday, October 13, 2021, 16:16:30 »

The language in the 2 countries, despite both English speaking can be very different.

I remember in Florida I popped into a shop to pick up a few bits of food etc but I left a bag and went back and said I had left 'a bag of shopping' in the store from earlier. The assistant looked at me as if I had 2 heads. 'Your what?' she said. 'my shopping, in a bag' I replied. I had to translate this to 'groceries' before she knew what I was talking about.

Teaching high school students, sometimes our american english still is very different than their american english...bunch of dumb asses!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Wednesday, October 13, 2021, 16:25:52 »

It's quite fun - the reality is that most of American English is actually Ye Olde English and it hasn't evolved in the same way as traditional English (misnomer alert) has.
Hunk

« Reply #263 on: Wednesday, October 13, 2021, 17:50:54 »

Rather funny way of explaining the difficulties inherit in the accent differences, if not the parlance per se
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Wednesday, October 13, 2021, 18:04:22 »

If a UK student, even a younger one, asked you for a rubber, you wouldn't be shocked.

also

jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #265 on: Wednesday, October 13, 2021, 18:13:40 »

is this a TV show?

Soccer AM was a fairly popular saturday morning show. Not sure if it's still going. Yeah we use bender to mean go out drinking on a mad one too.

Boston Goals (I doubt you'll find it as funny as I do though):

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #266 on: Wednesday, October 13, 2021, 18:17:14 »

Soccer AM was a fairly popular saturday morning show. Not sure if it's still going. Yeah we use bender to mean go out drinking on a mad one too.

I used to love Soccer AM and yes it is still going as I saw some on Saturday pre game, its shit now!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: Wednesday, October 13, 2021, 18:22:12 »

I’ve never seen that before - it’s ace  Cheesy
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: Wednesday, October 13, 2021, 19:10:41 »

Yeah Boston Goals was way better than the more recent Brad Bobley sketches

Sent from my CLT-L09

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: Wednesday, October 13, 2021, 21:17:45 »

Jamaican international Anthony Grant in that Wycombe team (along with Tommy Mooney and Dany N'Guessan for Boston).

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 52   Go Up
Print
Jump to: