Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Tranmere pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 21289 times)
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Wednesday, August 18, 2021, 09:20:51 »

Tranmere fans on their forum talking about their team having only just been out together and bemoaning a lack of striker. (Sound familiar?!) They have noticed the man that got them promoted last time, James Norwood, has been transfer listed but he’s be out of reach of a div 4 club. Bossed us when he came on at Portman Road last year and at the CG. On the subject of Ipswich strikers, I read in Simson’s Wikipedia entry that he’d been offered a rugby contract with Leicester Tigers but chose to pursue football. Have seen him play four times now and he looks strong but needs to learn how to use it. Got knocked about by the Tranmere centre backs a few times in the first half. Gifted the visitors a ‘sitter’ from a corner too. I’m not convinced he’s any more chance of making the grade than Parsons. Both lads who have been picked up by their local clubs and given a chance. Reckon Parsons has more attributes actually.
Oh, Tranmere fans also incensed by another ticket “shambles” trying to pick up pre paid tickets.

Lastly, on tickets, with the ease of buying online now I can see away fans infiltrating a home end somewhere soon. Rovers games could be ‘interesting’….
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Wednesday, August 18, 2021, 09:30:37 »

What's happened to Rob Hartley on BBC Wilts co commentory he seems to have been replaced with Steve Hale or Phil Smith

That had more to do with him keeping his attendance record alive...

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Wednesday, August 18, 2021, 09:33:19 »

Eek Smiley

So, give no fucks
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Wednesday, August 18, 2021, 09:36:47 »

That had more to do with him keeping his attendance record alive...

Bit of a shame really as I think he was a very good co-comms. Can't say I really enjoyed Phil Smith's musings really. He wasn't the worst but I'd definitely have others over him.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Wednesday, August 18, 2021, 09:39:42 »

Same here and what's happened to Steve White, Sam Parkin & Dave Hockaday
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 18, 2021, 09:42:42 by Jimmy Quimm » Logged

So, give no fucks
Moss

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Wednesday, August 18, 2021, 09:43:45 »

We could have won or lost but we seemed very narrow for a lot of the game. I would have like to see the full backs push on more. Simpson was useless. Offers nothing and felt like we were playing with 10 men at times. Can’t remember him touching the ball more than a couple of occasions in the second half and feels like the other players don’t trust/look for him when passing it around. If we can bring in a proper target man to bring others into play we could be a very good team.

Hope he doesn't read this forum as I think that is harsh. He's 19 playing as a lone striker against experienced defenders. He is not going to win the golden boot but he is certainly not useless.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Wednesday, August 18, 2021, 09:45:23 »

I can't get on board with KKH further up the pitch, he's shown he's good defensively and very capable of getting into the opposition box from RB, I think we'd be hamstringing ourselves by putting AK behind him.  If you do that you'd have to sacrifice one of Payne, Gladwin, McKirdy, Parsons or Williams.  Any of the actual forward players being played at RW will want to cut inside a bit, having KKH bomb on beyond when that happens makes us much more dangerous in my opinion.
I'm with Kinky Tom. There's is nothing finer than an overlapping full back and I think KKH will be outstanding at it.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Wednesday, August 18, 2021, 09:50:42 »

Hope he doesn't read this forum as I think that is harsh. He's 19 playing as a lone striker against experienced defenders. He is not going to win the golden boot but he is certainly not useless.
Simpson is doing what he can, he desperately needs to work on his first touch/control though as it bounces off him more often than not.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Wednesday, August 18, 2021, 09:59:19 »

Well that was a 'next goal wins' game...

I was excited when we attacked without huge expectation and then nervous when Tranmere broke on us.

Team is slowly pulling together bit by bit.

Striker please to help out the big Ipswich lad.

Clems Army!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Wednesday, August 18, 2021, 09:59:41 »

Simpson is doing what he can, he desperately needs to work on his first touch/control though as it bounces off him more often than not.

I think the way Simpson plays is probably going to be better utilised away from home. I think given his power and strength he probably needs to play on the shoulders of defenders higher up the pitch running onto through balls from Reed, Payne etc. At home he isn't going to be afforded this luxury. The balls are worked into the strikers on the half term etc and early in the first half both Parsons and Simpson kept losing it as the Tranmere defence was well organised. There was improvement in the second but I agree, his first touch and control will need to be better in home games where teams are well organised and sit in fairly deep.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Wednesday, August 18, 2021, 11:08:18 »

Too early to say for sure, but you wouldn't be surprised to see Carlisle and Tranmere up there come the end of the season. Two very different sides but neither pushovers. To have competed the way we have in the past two games gives real hope that we'll be a force to be reckoned with in a few weeks time. We all know that the right striker is the key to our success this season. Garner seems to know who he wants, let's hope it comes off.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: Wednesday, August 18, 2021, 11:16:54 »

Plenty of reasons to feel optimistic.
Some decent possession last night. Dion Conroy looked assured and was continually communicating with the back line that in the main looked solid. We came out with the ball better than on Saturday albeit Tranmere did not impose the high line press.
Equally we turned the ball around a lot quicker which was impressive, particularly the first half.
Created chances but tough on a rookie leading the line and am expecting another forward in the building by the weekend.

Really want Garner to achieve as liking everything he is trying to implement and can only see us getting better and better. Shock crowd for a mid week game.
Usually a little despondent after a draw at home but not yesterday and now looking forward to Salford.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Wednesday, August 18, 2021, 13:32:24 »

One thing about Conroy.

The first couple of games I’ve noticed him, not pulling out of a 50/50, more not 100% commitment to it. Last night he thundered into one with good effect!

Hope that sets his mind at ease. He’s a classy fucker.
kaufman

« Reply #223 on: Wednesday, August 18, 2021, 14:07:35 »

I thought Carlisle looked a far better side than Tranmere. Salford will give us a really good idea of where we're at.

I do feel we need one more bigger body in midfield who can hold off a challenge.
Gladwin most of the time can glide and hold his own but sometimes gets caught out. Grant we know about.

The front 3 are tricky and can get away from players but if they're caught, they invariably are tackled and are easily pushed off the ball.
Looking forward to seeing how Williams copes with keeping the ball.

I must admit though it's hard to think of a similar player we've had in recent years apart from a fit Gladwin.
Kasim and to an extent Luongo I guess would be the closest comparison.

But hey, it's league 2.

kaufman

« Reply #224 on: Wednesday, August 18, 2021, 14:27:16 »

Can't modify my post but just looking at the table, I expected Salford to be higher.
A fit Gladwin and more importantly with KKH playing last night, we would have won I'm sure.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: