Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Tranmere pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 21285 times)
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Tuesday, August 17, 2021, 20:54:36 »

Garner:
- Pleasing performance
- Only negative 1 point and not 3
- Strong performance to build on
- McKirdy disappointed he didnt score
- Goals will come. We'll keep polishing in those areas
- Build up play superb
- Tranmere a good team. A lot of experience in the team and manager
- Payne pass to McKirdy was brilliant play
- We looked a threat from set pieces
- We have a way we want to play
- We do want 1 or 2 forwards, but saying we need them in quickly would be harsh on the players tonight. What we need is another option. We just need something different that we can deploy when necessary.
- Dont know on timeframe for incomings
- Defensive performance was good.
- Feeney and McManaman are very good players. Defence did well against them
- Their best moments came from us being a bit loose
- Wollacott has been outstanding across the 3 games so far
- Williams gave glimpses of what he can do
- Gladwin and Williams will get closer fitness wise in the next couple of weeks
- Parsons for a first league start was very good. Proud moment for his family who came to watch
- Sends a message to the academy that you can progress into the first team
- Challenge getting Gladwin up to speed? That will take time. Cant quicken the process up. Gladwin is a special player and will have players around him all the times. He will get better and better. Need to look at what he will deliver long term rather than short term while building fitness
- We are ahead of schedule w/r/t performance and points.
- We have controlled long parts of games and have deserved more than 4 points from the 3 games so far.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 18, 2021, 05:13:14 by Nomoreheroes » Logged

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
AMayesIng

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Tuesday, August 17, 2021, 20:57:43 »

Happy with 4 points after 3 games. Onwards and upwards.
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Tuesday, August 17, 2021, 21:07:53 »

Take it really. Always going to be a while before we fully click. Still need that extra striker which will come.

Salford will be an interesting test on Saturday. As someone else said we may fair better away from home at the moment.

Wellens Doncaster on 0 points after three games.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Tuesday, August 17, 2021, 21:09:43 »

Simpson isolated up top making it easy for their defence to deal with. He's not the most mobile and doesn't look like creating anything himself. Would benefit from another body to play off maybe or he is going to struggle to get goals.

Decent game overall I thought. Could have gone either way. Our keeper in particular did very well or we could have lost that.

Think we saw near the end of the carlisle game that parsons helped improve simpson massively. With that I was very happy to see parsons start but he did seem a little more deeper tonight from the start- brilliant performance from him again mind.

Being a sole striker against 2 experienced centre backs is extremely tough work let alone for a 19 year old.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Tuesday, August 17, 2021, 21:15:51 »

Think we'll start to look dangerous rather than just controlled .
That's a good description of where we are. Controlled.

Although we aren't outplayed Tranmere looked just a bit quicker in attack.

I think that side will come with more games and a forward or two. Simpson is too isolated.

But that was a good performance against a good team. A clean sheet and we still created some good chances.

everyone put in the maximum effort.

Chirchlow found it a bit tougher tonight. How did the Tranmere forward miss from what looked like 2 yards!

Anyway, delighted with 4/9 points.

Parsons played well tonight. Seeing a lot more of why he's earned a contract
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Tuesday, August 17, 2021, 21:25:42 »

Putting aside my partisanship I enjoyed that in as much as there clearly was in improvement on Saturdays performance. Still a few players short, match fitness and the gelling factor of a squad made up with 75% new players. Once it falls into place we are going to be a very, very good side. Aspirations of staying up are and will be nothing more than an under achievement. This team will be good enough for the play offs minimum. I still feel autos is not out of the question even at this stage.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 17, 2021, 21:37:57 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #186 on: Tuesday, August 17, 2021, 21:26:46 »

Happy with that, could easily have won and could easily have lost. We need that killer edge and 1 good striker could have possibly won that for us even if Simpson didnt get much service, we looked better when Gladwin came on.

Nobody played badly.

Wollacott my MotM as he saved us and for me never put a foot wrong all game.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Tuesday, August 17, 2021, 21:56:57 »

Reflecting on the two home games, Carlisle came and did a workmanlike spoiling game and playing to those strengths got a result, Tranmere were more like us, tried to play football and could have scored a couple but also got a result. The common denominator for us is the making/taking chances which is not quite happening yet and I would like to think than when we get a settled side and a consistent goal scorer then we will be beating sides like those two without a doubt.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Tuesday, August 17, 2021, 21:57:28 »

Wollacott my MotM as he saved us and for me never put a foot wrong all game.
Another great allround display.  Solid on crosses and some good saves.  Vital to get the basics right.

But I like the speed of his distribution.  He's often quite high up the pitch for a keeper too - without alarms so far.  He's like an extra player at the back
Miles Mayhem

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Tuesday, August 17, 2021, 22:05:11 »

We could have won or lost but we seemed very narrow for a lot of the game. I would have like to see the full backs push on more. Simpson was useless. Offers nothing and felt like we were playing with 10 men at times. Can’t remember him touching the ball more than a couple of occasions in the second half and feels like the other players don’t trust/look for him when passing it around. If we can bring in a proper target man to bring others into play we could be a very good team.
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Tuesday, August 17, 2021, 22:10:31 »

It's a sign of how far we've come in a matter of weeks that some are disappointed we've only got 4 points from 7. Today was good, more match sharpness and fitness for the boys, a shame not to get the win, but we didn't lose, no new injuries, good game time for Parsons and a nice little cameo for Williams' debut. Pleased with that, to be honest.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Tuesday, August 17, 2021, 22:11:43 »

9 leggett, 9
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Tuesday, August 17, 2021, 22:30:00 »

Improvement on Saturday. Great attendance and good away following too. They missed two sitters, but then I think McKirdy would score more often than not if he had that 2nd half chance again.

Back four and Jojo were comfortable. Jojo is Rene Gilmartin’s lasting legacy at the club. Has done really well, not only with the eye catching saves, but his general presence.
Solid signing for this level. Crichlow will be a real asset this year and Conroy got stuck in a few times tonight - a sign his confidence may be returning. Hunt is such a useful player to have in the squad too. He was the one to stay back on Saturday, but today was given the go ahead to get forward and he had his moments, including a lovely move inside in the first half.

In midfield, Grant lost concentration a few times, and I suspect we will see him given a break at times too, if they can get Lyden fit. Reed was tidier tonight too. The defence was looking to those two to come and get the ball.c turn and start play. Reed is going to be quicker to turn than Grant, so we want Reed to be taking this role on and playing a quick ball. It was slower at times, particularly as we tired from 65 onwards. Unlike the three man midfield under Wellens, the Parsons/Gladwin role seems more advanced than the old Doughty role. Parsons grew into the game and did well, but I suspect he’d prefer to be wide or the main man, so he can get the ball played ahead of him rather than into feet with his back to goal. Gladwin isn’t there yet - but I’m sure it’ll come.

As for the wide men, Payne (playing much narrower than McKirdy) was I thought out brightest player - with a bit more movement in front of him, he’ll be lethal. I wonder if, when we have recruited a few more, we’ll see him playing in the 10 role? That would leave Gladwin on the bench, but may be the best balance. McKirdy was better tonight than Saturday - and as I thought then, is definitely going to divide opinion, even if it’s because of his socks and shirt pulled over his hands! He made good runs; nearly scored; ghosts in behind and also did well to turn back a cross in the first half that someone really should have got on the end of.

Simpson worked hard, with two men for company all night. He did all he could to offer himself for a pass, but the midfield rarely played it into him because with two on him, he could rarely retain possession. Good shot in the first half, but needs that first goal.

In Jonny Williams cameo, I counted five fouls in the space of about 10 minutes! He’ll be a marked man for sure…. but has the Caddis/Grant knack for knowing how to invite the free kick….!

Now, let’s see who those strikers are….
« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 17, 2021, 22:38:38 by Frigby Daser » Logged
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Tuesday, August 17, 2021, 22:48:28 »

Very happy to be able to watch another live match in a matter of days and I was pleasantly surprised by the attendance figure. 

I discerned two cries of ffffooooorrrwwwaaardddd this evening.

Nothing to see here
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Wednesday, August 18, 2021, 01:36:18 »

Great attendance. Good match. Worth the torturous journey. Left at 5, got home at 1.30. We all know the problem is lack of strikers. Interested to know what people honestly think of Mckirdy. He strikes me as a pretty good non league player. At this level he overplays, lacks end product etc. No composure in front of goal. Always seems to be about to fall over when he shoots. Strangely compelling and frustrating to watch in equal measure!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: