Pages: 1 ... 196 197 198 [199] 200 201 202 ... 821   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New beginnings - 25% Truth, 80% Bollocks  (Read 1164083 times)
DMC

« Reply #2970 on: Thursday, March 23, 2023, 10:25:05 »

That would finish me off 😂
This season has for me already
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2971 on: Thursday, March 23, 2023, 10:53:12 »

This season has for me already

Hope you come back to it, football is cyclic and we must be due an upturn by now.

Us pessimists aren't always right Smiley
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #2972 on: Thursday, March 23, 2023, 12:07:28 »

National League as embarrassing as it would be and how we'd lose something huge we laugh at Oxford over....the actual experience would be great looking at the likes of Notts County.

If you're looking at cheaper tickets and winning, that pulls the fans in, irrespective of level.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #2973 on: Thursday, March 23, 2023, 12:13:50 »

National League as embarrassing as it would be and how we'd lose something huge we laugh at Oxford over....the actual experience would be great looking at the likes of Notts County.

If you're looking at cheaper tickets and winning, that pulls the fans in, irrespective of level.

Tbh (and I don’t think I’ve ever looked at the NL table) it would at least throw up some new teams to play.

I get why people want out of L2 because football clubs should always be looking to progress but for me L1 is not going to be a much better standard and it’s filled with teams we’ve played countless times over the last 20 years.

Like, I’m not exactly salivating at the idea of getting promoted to play teams like Port Vale, Accrington, Peterborough, Shrewsbury and mother fucking Cheltenham
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2974 on: Thursday, March 23, 2023, 12:25:35 »

Tbh (and I don’t think I’ve ever looked at the NL table) it would at least throw up some new teams to play.

I get why people want out of L2 because football clubs should always be looking to progress but for me L1 is not going to be a much better standard and it’s filled with teams we’ve played countless times over the last 20 years.

Looking at it, it would bring a fair range of games nearer to home that L2 does.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022%E2%80%9323_National_League

I think mid L1 is probably our natural level (would actually be interesting to know if anyone has ever done analysis of our history to know where our level sits), but as you say it all gets very samey in the bottom two divisions.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #2975 on: Thursday, March 23, 2023, 12:32:58 »

I don't mind being in L2 as long as our football isn't tripe. The Paolo year was great, the Wellens year was great, the Sturrock year was exciting enough. I'm sure we played some garbage clubs in those seasons but the footballing fare was good enough that I didn't care and can't remember. Obviously the medium term goal is L1 and beyond but L2 doesn't have to be a hellscape, as long as we are going about it the right way.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #2976 on: Thursday, March 23, 2023, 12:33:49 »

Yeah and we travel well already, but we know our fans love a new ground to go to.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2977 on: Thursday, March 23, 2023, 13:23:45 »

I don't mind being in L2 as long as our football isn't tripe. The Paolo year was great, the Wellens year was great, the Sturrock year was exciting enough.

Promoted,
Promoted,
Promoted.

I don't mind being in League 2 if we get promoted Smiley

In all honesty,. and it doesn't need spelling out explicitly, league 1 is a must for so many reasons.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #2978 on: Thursday, March 23, 2023, 13:29:04 »

Promoted,
Promoted,
Promoted.

I don't mind being in League 2 if we get promoted Smiley

In all honesty,. and it doesn't need spelling out explicitly, league 1 is a must for so many reasons.

Until recently that was the only experience of it that we had!
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #2979 on: Thursday, March 23, 2023, 14:15:40 »

Looking at it, it would bring a fair range of games nearer to home that L2 does.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022%E2%80%9323_National_League

I think mid L1 is probably our natural level (would actually be interesting to know if anyone has ever done analysis of our history to know where our level sits), but as you say it all gets very samey in the bottom two divisions.

It was done some time ago and was around the mid 50s, so mid level league one is about right.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #2980 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 15:20:02 »

Another one! Got to be the main success story of the season.

https://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/news/2023/march/town-agree-big-sponsorship-deal-with-cellular-fitness/
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #2981 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 16:13:32 »

Indeed, Revenue generation is one of the areas we certainly seem to have improved in the past 2 years.  That's with some significant pieces of the off field jigsaw puzzle still missing as well.  Shows what a club can do with a decent fanbase if they start to put their mind to it.  It creates a frustration for me because I wonder why they try and run so thin on everything else - like the shop/merchandise angle for example (which always seems a bit jumble sale to me still).
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #2982 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 18:38:56 »

This is effectively what got Leeds into financial difficulties, the difference was they borrowed against their future Champions League income, and then didn’t qualify.

The only issue I could see with us is that the clubs we are due to get that money from can’t (or won’t) pay
It wasn't like Leeds.   They gambled on champions league income and set a playing budget accordingly.  The Bank didnt loan them money on contracted income, and do their own risk assessment.

Clem is also personally liable for any default as he's used one of his properties as security.   It's a perfectly normal facility, I've set many up like this.  In addition it doesn't have to be used it's just there if you need it.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2983 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 19:42:34 »

Active know how much we make of such deals? Must be relatively little given the sheer number of them.

I think building links is worth more than the cash mind. Though every pound counts
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #2984 on: Wednesday, March 29, 2023, 13:16:23 »

Brentford have made it work well.

‘ Brentford publish 22 accounts. 🔑figures
Turnover £141m, more than the previous 15 seasons added together
Wages £68m, lowest in PL
Profits £30m
Transfer spend £40m
Borrowings down to £39m’
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 198 [199] 200 201 202 ... 821   Go Up