Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 803   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New beginnings - 25% Truth, 80% Bollocks  (Read 1122334 times)
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: Thursday, July 22, 2021, 12:08:29 »

It is a very astute appointment by Clem. Good luck Rob!

Every single one of the new appointments is going to be working in sub-optimal conditions from the start, have to remember that. Good to have some optimism back, though.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: Thursday, July 22, 2021, 12:13:44 »

It will be interesting to see how long the current goodwill on social media lasts if the season starts with a sustained run of bad results.

Nothing to see here
MichaelPook
Oh stop it Mr Fatbury!

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: Thursday, July 22, 2021, 12:15:36 »

Superb appointment - we are BACK!

I used to be Fatbury
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: Thursday, July 22, 2021, 12:19:23 »

Before I retired I worked for nationwide for many years. In my role I got to know most of the executives and would be aware of issues or reputations
Rob had a great reputation. Not only for being open, friendly, approachable but also his intellect. Unlike most I never heard a bad word about him.
Although no experience about being CEO in football, this bloke will learn very quickly.  A superb appointment. STFC through and through.
If the club want reingagement with the fans then they'll get it.
This bloke is the real deal.
Give him some space to bed into the role. Allow a couple of early errors and I think he will be excellent.
Given the fucking idiots Rob has had to deal with at nationwide, hell do the relationship side really well.
Great appointment by Clem and don't forget by nature, im a miserable negative cynical old git.

Wow, colour me impressed.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: Thursday, July 22, 2021, 12:19:58 »

It will be interesting to see how long the current goodwill on social media lasts if the season starts with a sustained run of bad results.

Surely must should realise we’re going to be pretty bad until November time. After that hopefully fitness and team bonding and we can climb the league
Crackity Jones

« Reply #335 on: Thursday, July 22, 2021, 12:31:59 »

Nobody is expecting a good season. Are they? Staying in the efl and sorting the shit out left by Power is the hope I would have thought
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: Thursday, July 22, 2021, 12:35:26 »

Nobody is expecting a good season. Are they? Staying in the efl and sorting the shit out left by Power is the hope I would have thought

You're probably right, but we have until the end of August to assemble our squad.  Why not ride the feel good factor? Today it's July and sunny, so I'm optimistic.  They may change, but for now I'm looking upwards.:-)

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: Thursday, July 22, 2021, 12:37:47 »

The hasn't run a football club bit doesn't concern me.  He's a well-regarded senior Finance professional.  Background may be in FS, but his time at the Trust will have given him a great window on the football world.  He will adapt.  I've taken my own Finance skill set from one industry sector to another several times in the last 10 yrs or so, so I know it can be done.  He'll be fine.
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: Thursday, July 22, 2021, 12:40:48 »

Got a text from someone quite senior at nationwide who worked with Rob saying what a great appointment it is.
Also had a text from a rovers fan mate laughing their cock off about garner.
Time will tell.
Crackity Jones

« Reply #339 on: Thursday, July 22, 2021, 12:45:15 »

You're probably right, but we have until the end of August to assemble our squad.  Why not ride the feel good factor? Today it's July and sunny, so I'm optimistic.  They may change, but for now I'm looking upwards.:-)
Donkey - That was me in optimistic mode  Cheesy
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: Thursday, July 22, 2021, 12:46:03 »

the Rovers fans I've talked to make Garner sound very Luke Williams.

But they also had a 'director of transfers' (!) above him.

I'm sure we'll make our own mind up over time
Flashheart

« Reply #341 on: Thursday, July 22, 2021, 12:48:45 »

I doubt anybody's expecting a 'good' season.

I expect a slow start, only for things to improve once the team catches up in terms of cohesion etc. It would be unfair on the gaffer for us to expect promotion this season, but I do expect to see that he's the man for the job next season.

I've been reading the Bristol Rovers forum and a few seem to think things were starting to come together for him before whatever happened to change it all. He might just be one of those who needs time and he's fortunate here in a sense that fans are likely to be patient for a while considering the circumstances.

But that patience won't be infinite, and neither should it be. I don't know where the line should be drawn, there's too many variables, but hopefully we won't find out.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: Thursday, July 22, 2021, 12:50:53 »

The hasn't run a football club bit doesn't concern me.  He's a well-regarded senior Finance professional.  Background may be in FS, but his time at the Trust will have given him a great window on the football world.  He will adapt.  I've taken my own Finance skill set from one industry sector to another several times in the last 10 yrs or so, so I know it can be done.  He'll be fine.

You must be seething you didn't get the call.  Cheesy

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: Thursday, July 22, 2021, 12:52:34 »

Sounds very encouraging. He’s clearly a very well respected and talented individual, and have no doubt he has the skills to succeed based on his career to date

His biggest challenge may well be the fact that he is a long standing fan, and can’t let that interfere in his ability to make tough decisions. Don’t go full Jeremy Wray (although seeing as he’s an accountant I doubt he would!)

Things get better but they never get good
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: Thursday, July 22, 2021, 12:56:05 »

Donkey - That was me in optimistic mode  Cheesy

Cheesy

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 803   Go Up