Poll
Question: Would you want Wellens back next season?
Yes - 83 (79.8%)
No - 21 (20.2%)
Total Voters: 96

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Would you want Wellens back next season?  (Read 18518 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 10:29:43 »

If he walked naked from manchester road to the county ground whilst being pelted with vegetables with everyone chanting SHAME and ringing a bell. I would consider him.

until that he can swivel.   
That's one tough job interview. Not sure HR could approve that.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 10:34:44 »

Being a fascist lunatic elsewhere, rather than at SN1, thank god.

(He does TV stuff in Italy - hit the headlines this week for slagging Mourinho off)

Ah ok thanks. You would imagine he would be exactly the kind of pundit that Italian TV would employ. If Rino Gattuso hadn't gone into management he'd almost certainly be alongside him.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 10:59:48 »

The point I am making is that there are plenty of managers out there who have got teams out of Lg 2 in the last 5 years, so why is Wellens really any different, yes he knows the club but is that necessarily a good/bad thing especially when lower league clubs change season by season as much as they do these days.

I would equally happily go down the ex player/prem u23 route, albeit unless we want a manager who is going to commute from the NW every day Carrick is a non starter.
As previously posted by several people, the thing that Wellens has in his favour (over an up and coming manager) is that we know the buzz that he created off the pitch when he was here. That buzz is sorely missing and would be a quick win for the club rated bottom of fans interaction and engagement.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 11:05:51 »

13,300 at home to Exeter on a cold January day is proof of that

So, give no fucks
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 11:06:24 »

That's one tough job interview. Not sure HR could approve that.
It worked for Lena Headley (Queen Cersei) - But that's only because her body double (Rebecca Van Cleave) was perfect!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #65 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 11:34:28 »

February Wink

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 11:36:58 »

February Wink

Only because it wasn't a leap year😀

So, give no fucks
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 11:44:31 »

I think we probably need to lower our expectations when it comes to former pros dropping down. It's not the  90s.

Michael Carrick is not going to quit his assistant manager job at Man Utd to take over a basket case L2 side.

Someone mentioned Mark Hudson the other day. Solid pro, got his badges and a little bit of youth experience. If you're talking recently retired pros, someone of that calibre rather than a PL superstar is more likely.

Joe Cole’s name has come up on discussion of which I believe I was the first to mention him.

This was based on the fact I’d read an interview with him where he stated he had done his badges, done some work in the Chelsea youth set up & would love to manage the England Under 21s but felt he lacked the managerial experience so didn’t expect to be considered for it.

How that translates to how far he’d drop down the pyramid to get experience is anyone’s guess
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 12:01:57 »

What does that prove? It was a top of the league class against our nearest rivals at the time so you'd expect a big crowd regardless. You can pretty much go back through all our historical managers and find big attendances for big games... It's not like we were getting that level of attendance every game!
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 12:05:16 »

Everyone came out of the woodwork because STFC were likely to be crowned Champions*.

Nothing to see here
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #70 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 12:05:50 »

What does that prove? It was a top of the league class against our nearest rivals at the time so you'd expect a big crowd regardless. You can pretty much go back through all our historical managers and find big attendances for big games... It's not like we were getting that level of attendance every game!
It proves he was doing well, did PDC get that many in? Genuine question
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 12:08:28 »

I recall that there were some 10/11k attendances in the div 3 season with PdC

Nothing to see here
ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 12:08:31 »

I think we probably need to lower our expectations when it comes to former pros dropping down. It's not the  90s.

Michael Carrick is not going to quit his assistant manager job at Man Utd to take over a basket case L2 side.

Someone mentioned Mark Hudson the other day. Solid pro, got his badges and a little bit of youth experience. If you're talking recently retired pros, someone of that calibre rather than a PL superstar is more likely.
Hudson is a name I'd like to be considered too. His first team coach experiences at Huddersfield came under David Wagner, Jan Siewert and the Cowleys, so some really good influences from different aspects of style. He also seems a really good personality based off of podcast appearances and was a captain for most of his career.

Another I'd like to be considered is Adam Murray from Barnsley. Very keen to get back into management and has learnt from a lot of great pressing managers at Barnsley recently. Seems one who's keen on data and marginal gains based on interviews, so a more modern and progressive possibility.

Much rather we go down this approach than the standard merry-go-round appointments.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 12:08:55 »

It proves he was doing well, did PDC get that many in? Genuine question
Yep Wigan, Port Vale etc.

Even Malpas got two 13k attendances.....
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 12:10:47 »

Another I'd like to be considered is Adam Murray from Barnsley. Very keen to get back into management and has learnt from a lot of great pressing managers at Barnsley recently. Seems one who's keen on data and marginal gains based on interviews, so a more modern and progressive possibility.

Feel like Murray was heavily linked before, maybe when Wellens left?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: