Poll
Question: Would you want Wellens back next season?
Yes - 83 (79.8%)
No - 21 (20.2%)
Total Voters: 96

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Would you want Wellens back next season?  (Read 18610 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 09:30:54 »

The point I am making is that there are plenty of managers out there who have got teams out of Lg 2 in the last 5 years, so why is Wellens really any different, yes he knows the club but is that necessarily a good/bad thing especially when lower league clubs change season by season as much as they do these days.

I would equally happily go down the ex player/prem u23 route, albeit unless we want a manager who is going to commute from the NW every day Carrick is a non starter.

I absolutely agree that there are other managers that have the ability to take clubs out of league 2 although in the current managerial market, who realistically can we call on? I suggested Kenny Jackett recently and most people thought he was probably out of our league. (which I agree with)

The thing you do get with RW is his willingness to engage with the STFC fans, be it via phone ins, podcasts, community engagement etc. That has really been missing this season and under new chairmanship (making huge assumptions it will be Clem) we need that back.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Panda Paws

« Reply #46 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 09:40:26 »

I think we probably need to lower our expectations when it comes to former pros dropping down. It's not the  90s.

Michael Carrick is not going to quit his assistant manager job at Man Utd to take over a basket case L2 side.

Someone mentioned Mark Hudson the other day. Solid pro, got his badges and a little bit of youth experience. If you're talking recently retired pros, someone of that calibre rather than a PL superstar is more likely.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 09:43:23 »

I think it was acknowledged that the ex PL players mentioned were fantasy football selections rather than realistic prospects

Nothing to see here
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 09:45:32 »

If Wellens & Evans are being talked about might as well throw coopers name into the hat😀

So, give no fucks
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 09:47:14 »

If Wellens & Evans are being talked about might as well throw coopers name into the hat😀

lets not go down that route!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 09:47:54 »

lets not go down that route!

😀😀😀

So, give no fucks
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 09:48:52 »

I’m sure at least one ITKer claimed it at least partially due to a falling out between the two.
Although my memory might doing be wrong here.
No, I remember reading that too. Equally I also remember it being widely dismissed, most seemed to accept the stated reasons which BO set out.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 09:50:33 »

No, I remember reading that too. Equally I also remember it being widely dismissed, most seemed to accept the stated reasons which BO set out.

Lets be honest though, Its more of a soap opera down STFC than Walford these days so who the fuck knows what is going on!

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 09:51:22 »

Lets be honest though, Its more of a soap opera down STFC than Walford these days so who the fuck knows what is going on!
Get aaaahhhttt of my (p)(cl)ub you slaaaaggg!
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 09:52:53 »

If he walked naked from manchester road to the county ground whilst being pelted with vegetables with everyone chanting SHAME and ringing a bell. I would consider him.

until that he can swivel.  
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 09:58:50 »

Thing is knowing what a prickly bloke Wellens could be the 'words' on the training ground could be something like 'I'm retiring boss, I don't feel it any more and I don't need the cash' 'OK piss off you rich prick'!
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 10:02:10 »

although what is PDC up to these days?

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 10:07:40 »

No idea if he's still in the U.K. or back in Italy Bob

So, give no fucks
Panda Paws

« Reply #58 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 10:09:01 »

although what is PDC up to these days?

Being a fascist lunatic elsewhere, rather than at SN1, thank god.

(He does TV stuff in Italy - hit the headlines this week for slagging Mourinho off)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #59 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 10:26:46 »

I really don't know what to think about Wellens coming back.

As several posters have noted previous he jumped ship quite quickly and would I trust him to not do it again if we got off to a good start?

He had a few falling outs with some players who suggest he was less than sympathetic to their problems and his man management at times seemed a bit dodgy. Although he was National League in that respect compared to Premier League Sheridan for upsetting players.

He was very very economical with the truth concerning all things Swindon related, on and off the pitch and he always liked to distort the truth to take the blame from himself.

But he did get us playing some good football, entertaining and attacking and actually had a plan b in games, he was tactically aware unlike Sheridan and knew how to get the best from the players available.

His signing of Kovar and Fryer seemed huge minus points and not heaping the blame on one or two individuals, I think, IMO, Kovar himself contributed massively to the clubs demise this season as he was just nowhere near good enough at all and cost us many goals through individual errors even though he was sat behind an underachieving defence.

Still sitting on the fence on his return if it is even on the cards.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: