Poll
Question: Would you want Wellens back next season?
Yes - 83 (79.8%)
No - 21 (20.2%)
Total Voters: 96

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Would you want Wellens back next season?  (Read 18552 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 12:11:21 »

It proves he was doing well, did PDC get that many in? Genuine question

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Results.asp?Season=2011-2012

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 12:13:13 »

So, win some games and they will come, regardless of the manager.

Nothing to see here
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #77 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 12:19:33 »

Joe Cole’s name has come up on discussion of which I believe I was the first to mention him.

This was based on the fact I’d read an interview with him where he stated he had done his badges, done some work in the Chelsea youth set up & would love to manage the England Under 21s but felt he lacked the managerial experience so didn’t expect to be considered for it.

How that translates to how far he’d drop down the pyramid to get experience is anyone’s guess
I guess because wages are so large now in the Premier League especially, that many players coming to the end of long top level careers have little interest in going into management and coaching and would rather retire and go on to become a football agent which is far more lucrative without the stress of being in an aggressive results based industry.

Joe Cole seems ideal even if he isn't the brightest firework in the box, the same could be said of Scott Parker at Fulham who is obviously not a man of great intelligence but has done well there.

Other than them in the last 5 to 10 years I can only think of Lampard, Rooney, Gerrard and Terry that have gone on to manage/assist at clubs in recent years after retiring from playing in the top flight for most of their careers and with several international caps each.

Kewell and Rooney have proven that even with a great careers its a big gamble but fair play to them for trying to carry on a career in football, which with top level players seems all too rare now.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 12:25:19 »

Feel like Murray was heavily linked before, maybe when Wellens left?
Yeah there was a link from Pete O'Rourke whose usually on the money, but guess it may have been an agent just getting his client out there
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 12:45:19 »

I would take Wellens back in a snap for next season.

Every appointment is a gamble and few pay off, but we know that Wellens knows how to get out of league two. I like the way he speaks and the way he sets up the team.

Some of the players still here next season are those that worked very well for him in Hunt, Baudry, Fryers, Lyden, even Payne.

Do i see it happening? Not really. But better a manager we know that can do it, as opposed to a gamble on a failure somewhere else.
Panda Paws

« Reply #80 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 13:21:06 »

Joe Cole seems ideal even if he isn't the brightest firework in the box, the same could be said of Scott Parker at Fulham who is obviously not a man of great intelligence but has done well there.

Comments like this make me laugh. What makes you think Scott Parker is thick? How well do you know him, beyond token soundbites in post-match pressers?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 13:25:02 »

Comments like this make me laugh. What makes you think Scott Parker is thick? How well do you know him, beyond token soundbites in post-match pressers?

I think it's fair to say that if you review all his interviews, he doesn't exactly help the perception issue.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 14:13:28 »

All Londoners sound thick. Doesn't mean that they are.

Wellens. A bit of a weasel but it's a yes for me.
Did some good work here before, no reason why he couldn't do it again (with the right backing).

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 14:20:38 »

Wellens did a great job here. Most enjoyable season  since PDC...

And yet, can't quite shake  nagging doubts
Hunk

« Reply #84 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 14:24:25 »

Yup, I'd have him back
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 14:28:17 »

I've gone yes mainly because it really seems to annoy DV
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 14:33:19 »

I would have Wellens back, but the fear is that next big job he is offered he walks away again, I would like something voluntarily from him in his contract that makes it difficult for him to walk away and it shows his commitment.

Wellens also made the comment about living so far away from home and missing the family, so will this be an issue in future for him ?

It would not surprise me if he returns, I had a feeling when he was watching the last couple of games there may be a reason, perhaps he was scouting the current crop of players, but that should not mean a return for Tommy Wright, I think he has burnt his bridges here with his steadfast backing of Sheridan and some of his comments

I'm sure Wellens would be interested if he had a decent competitive budget for L2 and could see a plan to take the club forward.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 14:51:46 »

I'm not sure why people would be worried about appointing Wellens because he might take another job again - that is the case for any Manager we appoint.  Fans really are a bit odd, we seem to think employees of our clubs will behave just like us.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 14:53:51 »

I would have Wellens back, but the fear is that next big job he is offered he walks away again, I would like something voluntarily from him in his contract that makes it difficult for him to walk away and it shows his commitment.

Wellens also made the comment about living so far away from home and missing the family, so will this be an issue in future for him ?

It would not surprise me if he returns, I had a feeling when he was watching the last couple of games there may be a reason, perhaps he was scouting the current crop of players, but that should not mean a return for Tommy Wright, I think he has burnt his bridges here with his steadfast backing of Sheridan and some of his comments

I'm sure Wellens would be interested if he had a decent competitive budget for L2 and could see a plan to take the club forward.

You could say this about any Manager we hire - if we are going to lose our managers to bigger clubs, then that is what we want, because it means they are doing a great job for us.  People have reservations about Wellens because of the club he went to and the way he went - but in that scenario you have to take a big pinch of Covid salt and add a massive pinch of Power pepper to go with it.

If you didn't hire any manager that might be off when a bigger club comes knocking, then you have to hire an over the hill hasbeen or a non-league chancer with no experience - everyone else in between will be off to a bigger club if they do well.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 15:19:51 »

You could say this about any Manager we hire - if we are going to lose our managers to bigger clubs, then that is what we want, because it means they are doing a great job for us.  People have reservations about Wellens because of the club he went to and the way he went - but in that scenario you have to take a big pinch of Covid salt and add a massive pinch of Power pepper to go with it.

If you didn't hire any manager that might be off when a bigger club comes knocking, then you have to hire an over the hill hasbeen or a non-league chancer with no experience - everyone else in between will be off to a bigger club if they do well.
Excellent post, just this.
Only thing we need to do is to cover our ass's,  i.e. to make sure that there is a decent sized 'getaway ' compensation clause in the contract should any future manager prove to be another Hoddle/PDC.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: