Poll
Question: Would you want Wellens back next season?
Yes - 83 (79.8%)
No - 21 (20.2%)
Total Voters: 96

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Would you want Wellens back next season?  (Read 18328 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 08:25:57 »

Obviously when Wellens left and everyone was bitter he was the reason Doughty retired.
Now most have a hard on for him coming back I’ve no doubt the story (which may not have been true in the first place) will be that Doughty retire due to Power

My memory isn't as good as it was and so I am probably wrong here, but I don't recall anyone blaming Wellens for Doughty retiring did they? I thought it was widely accepted that it was nobodies 'fault'. Doughty chose to finish football for family reasons and his new startup was the impression I was under?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 08:29:28 »

I'd love to have him back, we know what he can do with a reasonable budget in League Two.
Not only that he engaged with the fans, community and gave his time to the Supporters Club & Loathed Strangers live events/podcasts,etc.

I know he left under somewhat of a cloud, however had circumstances been different he would probably still be here.
At the time, with what was unravelling here, to be offered a job closer to home it was a no brainer, and most of us would've done the same i'm sure.

If not him, then a young & recently retired ex player with all the coaching qualifications.
We don't want another Brown, Flitcroft or Sheridan.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 08:29:44 »

My memory isn't as good as it was and so I am probably wrong here, but I don't recall anyone blaming Wellens for Doughty retiring did they? I thought it was widely accepted that it was nobodies 'fault'. Doughty chose to finish football for family reasons and his new startup was the impression I was under?

I’m sure at least one ITKer claimed it at least partially due to a falling out between the two.
Although my memory might doing be wrong here.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 08:32:40 »

Yeah, that's my recollection too, although there were rumours of a training ground bust up between Wellens and Doughty, but i'm sure it wasn't serious enough for Doughty to quit football in a huff Cheesy
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 08:33:58 »

Alternatively we could go down the route that Blackpool did with Critchley. Obviously cut his coaching teeth at Liverpool under 23s and is not an exciting name, but clearly is a talented coach who probably has a good managerial career ahead of him.

Clearly Blackpool have been backed financially and so its difficult to know how he would do under more extreme circumstances but I think this is possibly more likely than someone like Carrick or Joe Cole coming here. That's not to say I think its out of the question given how we have started the managerial careers of some big names historically.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 08:35:16 »

I’m sure at least one ITKer claimed it at least partially due to a falling out between the two.
Although my memory might doing be wrong here.

Gotta love an ITKer! Smiley

Flashheart

« Reply #36 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 08:48:04 »

Yeah, that's my recollection too, although there were rumours of a training ground bust up between Wellens and Doughty, but i'm sure it wasn't serious enough for Doughty to quit football in a huff Cheesy

I'm led to believe he did leave in a bit of a huff and stormed out of training.

I don't know the reason, though.
Panda Paws

« Reply #37 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 08:53:45 »

Doughty retired because of Michael Doughty.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 08:55:45 »

I think our fan base needs to get over the Wellens obsession, many seem to be acting like a divorced bloke sat in his pants eating beans out of a can in a bedsit whilst trawling through his ex's photos on Facebook.

If he came back I would approach it with an open mind, but he would have to do a great deal before I trusted the fucker not to piss off at the earliest opportunity.
china red

« Reply #39 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 09:09:20 »

My favourite manager since Hoddle.  He left a basket case of a club to join another basket case of a club and had his fingers burnt because he kept to his principles of wanting to play proper football.

Would it work, who knows.  But given the potential alternatives I’d rather try something which worked the first time as we know what we are getting, although it could end up with him being fired six months down the line.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 09:12:56 »

I think our fan base needs to get over the Wellens obsession, many seem to be acting like a divorced bloke sat in his pants eating beans out of a can in a bedsit whilst trawling through his ex's photos on Facebook.

If he came back I would approach it with an open mind, but he would have to do a great deal before I trusted the fucker not to piss off at the earliest opportunity.

You are the second Town fan to use the word 'obsession' when it comes down Wellens. Speaking as someone who is open to him coming back I personally am not obsessed with our next manager being Richie Wellens and I doubt the other 50 or so that have stated the same are more 'obsessed' than I am.

I'm equally as open to an ex-premiership footballer cutting his teeth here, or a talented coach at a premiership under 23 side being given an opportunity. The way I see it is that at the moment, we are in a shit position off the pitch, others may disagree but I can't see too many managers seeing us as particularly desirable in the current guise, we are on a severe downward spiral. My openness to Wellens returning is purely based on his performance in league 2. He talked the talk and walked the walk and won us the league, (albeit Covid had a hand but we amassed the points to get promoted) and for that, for me, he has credit in the bank.

I get why fans don't want Wellens back, and fully accept that. But please don't be so patronising just because others might have a differing view.

Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 09:15:18 »

My favourite manager since Hoddle.  He left a basket case of a club to join another basket case of a club and had his fingers burnt because he kept to his principles of wanting to play proper football.

Would it work, who knows.  But given the potential alternatives I’d rather try something which worked the first time as we know what we are getting, although it could end up with him being fired six months down the line.

Pretty much my way of thinking. Although that said, there are never any guarantees it will work second time around.

Flashheart

« Reply #42 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 09:19:12 »

You are the second Town fan to use the word 'obsession' when it comes down Wellens. Speaking as someone who is open to him coming back I personally am not obsessed with our next manager being Richie Wellens and I doubt the other 50 or so that have stated the same are more 'obsessed' than I am.

I'm equally as open to an ex-premiership footballer cutting his teeth here, or a talented coach at a premiership under 23 side being given an opportunity. The way I see it is that at the moment, we are in a shit position off the pitch, others may disagree but I can't see too many managers seeing us as particularly desirable in the current guise, we are on a severe downward spiral. My openness to Wellens returning is purely based on his performance in league 2. He talked the talk and walked the walk and won us the league, (albeit Covid had a hand but we amassed the points to get promoted) and for that, for me, he has credit in the bank.

I get why fans don't want Wellens back, and fully accept that. But please don't be so patronising just because others might have a differing view.

Funnily enough, I found myself saying the same thing a few days back.

Only in reverse.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 09:23:30 »

The point I am making is that there are plenty of managers out there who have got teams out of Lg 2 in the last 5 years, so why is Wellens really any different, yes he knows the club but is that necessarily a good/bad thing especially when lower league clubs change season by season as much as they do these days.

I would equally happily go down the ex player/prem u23 route, albeit unless we want a manager who is going to commute from the NW every day Carrick is a non starter.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 09:24:21 »

Funnily enough, I found myself saying the same thing a few days back.

Only in reverse.

I think this season as well as Covid etc has taken its toll on a lot of people and its been quite noticeable how 'narky' a lot of the threads have become. (ignoring the political thread, that's always been a smoking gun)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: