Poll
Question: Would you want Wellens back next season?
Yes - 83 (79.8%)
No - 21 (20.2%)
Total Voters: 96

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Would you want Wellens back next season?  (Read 18327 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, May 9, 2021, 18:17:11 »

If he has love for the club, then yes.
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, May 9, 2021, 18:53:31 »

I've said yes. I know the general rule is 'never go back' but there are exceptions to the rule.

I think in the hierarchy of blame for how this season has panned out, obviously Wellens has to take some of it, but I wouldn't be opposed to giving him another crack at the whip, considering the promotion he earned us. Given he's been at the last few games, it wouldn't surprise me if Clem is lining him up as the next manager, providing he manages to gain control of the club.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, May 9, 2021, 18:57:22 »

Currently yes.

JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, May 9, 2021, 18:58:15 »

Only by default our form was dipping towards the end of the season

4 wins, 1 loss and 1 draw after Doyle came back. Wouldn’t say that’s dipping
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, May 9, 2021, 18:59:49 »

Nope. No evidence he is capable of managing higher than league 2 and even that is questionable looking at his Salford ‘performance’ so his stock is right down now. The fact this poll is even needed shows why he isn’t the right person, would mean a divided fanbase and we need to be looking forwards rather than backwards. Would be interesting to see whose signings were his and whose were Jewell’s as for every Doyle, Benda, Yates, Hunt and Grant we had a Hope, Kovar, Palmer, Tyler Reid and Adam May.

Would still be interesting to hear how much of an influence Wellens was on Doughty leaving as listening to people on here that know these things there was some ill feeling between the two. Doughty was a huge loss IMO.
welshred

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, May 9, 2021, 20:53:29 »

I’m really surprised by the people who say they wouldn’t welcome Wellens back to the club. He gave us one of the best seasons we’ve had in years playing some really exciting football at the same time. It was a disappointment when he left but we don’t know the circumstances behind the scenes and he left for a club nearer his home who in theory have a good chance for success in the next few years considering their owners and the cash they have.

I don’t really buy the “he can only manage in league 2” argument. The team that was put together last season would have comfortably survived this season in League 1. We can only assume that because of budget cuts we weren’t able to keep that team together. In the early part of this season we were hit hard with injuries, especially at the back. I feel like we’d have comfortably stayed up if he didn’t leave.

Even if Wellens isn’t your first choice, we have to consider who the alternative might be. Wellens has proved he can take us out of League 2. Surely that’s preferable to someone who has never done that, like an untried young manager?
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, May 9, 2021, 22:15:47 »

I thought he brought a buzz back to the fan base. Said And did all the right things on that front.

Told blatant lies when interviewed. Often said one thing then did another. Still, that's the same as many other managers.

The Doughty bit is the worry I have. Not sure who Doughty fell out with. But, midfielders like him don't come around often for teams like ours.

Not sure if Wellens or Jewell were the recruiters of people like Hope.

Not sure whether his departure was forced by his ambition or by Power wanting the cash. If the latter, then that endears him more to me.

I think he would create a passionate buzz. So, better him than an unproven coach or a journeyman.
« Last Edit: Sunday, May 9, 2021, 22:45:14 by Nomoreheroes » Logged

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Crackity Jones

« Reply #22 on: Sunday, May 9, 2021, 22:30:10 »

Yep, on balance I would have him back. I think we played some of the best football I have seen since the Ardiles/Hoddle years; and in league 2!  That said, I cant disagree with the arguments against. But the positives outweigh the negatives for me.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 05:34:12 »

Obviously when Wellens left and everyone was bitter he was the reason Doughty retired.
Now most have a hard on for him coming back I’ve no doubt the story (which may not have been true in the first place) will be that Doughty retire due to Power
jevs

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 06:01:24 »

I thought he brought a buzz back to the fan base. Said And did all the right things on that front.

Told blatant lies when interviewed. Often said one thing then did another. Still, that's the same as many other managers.

The Doughty bit is the worry I have. Not sure who Doughty fell out with. But, midfielders like him don't come around often for teams like ours.

Not sure if Wellens or Jewell were the recruiters of people like Hope.

Not sure whether his departure was forced by his ambition or by Power wanting the cash. If the latter, then that endears him more to me.

I think he would create a passionate buzz. So, better him than an unproven coach or a journeyman.

I'm very much not an ITK poster, but did hear a rumour that Doughty was 'on' £4k per week (exact phrase was 'costing the club 4k' a week so no idea if that includes other expenses). If that was indeed true I can imagine that there weren't massive efforts to encourage him to stay given our finances.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 06:36:03 »

Obviously when Wellens left and everyone was bitter he was the reason Doughty retired.
Now most have a hard on for him coming back I’ve no doubt the story (which may not have been true in the first place) will be that Doughty retire due to Power
Why would a player retire at 27 because of a chairman?

He's explained himself and said he left because he played one game without a crowd and it wasn't for him.   He had a new baby, lived in London and the draw of playing to empty stadiums wasn't enough.
« Last Edit: Monday, May 10, 2021, 06:42:00 by Pookemon » Logged
Walthams

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 07:11:07 »

I havent changed my mind it is a definite NO THANKS.
He would only piss off again when the going gets tough.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 08:05:24 »

Why would a player retire at 27 because of a chairman?

He's explained himself and said he left because he played one game without a crowd and it wasn't for him.   He had a new baby, lived in London and the draw of playing to empty stadiums wasn't enough.

He wouldn’t....but....the current rhetoric is Power is at fault for everything and Wellens is blameless.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 08:11:01 »

In a heartbeat

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #29 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 08:18:12 »

Not for me. Move forwards, not backwards.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: