Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pointless home game against Ipswich  (Read 24436 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: Sunday, May 2, 2021, 18:39:39 »

Fair point regarding Evans but the others chose to leave because they had a better offer and I guess Wellens was no different

So, give no fucks
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Sunday, May 2, 2021, 19:18:26 »

Wellens wouldn’t have kept us up.
That squad was fucking dire.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Sunday, May 2, 2021, 19:21:04 »

What made it worse was when we briefly went top of the league giving false hope!

So, give no fucks
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Sunday, May 2, 2021, 19:25:05 »

Let’s also not forget we were actually pretty poor defensively even last season but got away with it in the shit league. This season at a higher level really highlighted that and showed the defensive deficiencies for all to see. There is no evidence to suggest he would have improved us defensively so we’d have still been easy to beat.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Sunday, May 2, 2021, 19:36:37 »

I think Wellens might have found another 10 points to have kept us up and wouldn't have ripped up the playing style to zero football like Sheridan did and excluded the loan signings.

I do think Wellens reputation has taken a dive after this season. That was the risk he took with the Salford job. Had he kept us in League One under these circumstances he could have walked into a decent league one or lower championship side.

He needs to rebuild his reputation, getting linked to a return here just gets his name out and about again.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: Sunday, May 2, 2021, 20:05:19 »

But did Wellens know more about Powers shenanigans and decide that he didn't want anything to do with it plus he knew the funds weren't there and was openly frustrated when there were no signings at the end of the first transfer window.
This 100%,  don't understand why others cannot see this.  Would you work for a cunt of a boss like Power ?.  Wellens will always know a lot more than we ever will, and what we are already told, which I'm sure is a very limited amount,  I'm sure most of us like Wellens would jump ship at the first opportunity.
Blame Power (And Kovar) they got this club on a downward spiral not Wellens.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: Sunday, May 2, 2021, 21:04:41 »

This 100%,  don't understand why others cannot see this.  Would you work for a cunt of a boss like Power ?.  Wellens will always know a lot more than we ever will, and what we are already told, which I'm sure is a very limited amount,  I'm sure most of us like Wellens would jump ship at the first opportunity.

If Wellens decision to leave was based what a cunt Power is then why did he come here in the first place? And why did he stay so long? Why didn’t he resign?

He was happy enough working for Power till he got offered another job.

No doubt the dirt will keep coming on Power but let’s not pretend Wellens was some moral crusader who left his job here to fight the good fight.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Sunday, May 2, 2021, 21:14:18 »

Wellens signed Kovar and he was 100% a Wellens signing so he initiated the downward spiral then?

And as for leaving because of Power, he seemed pretty happy here...

https://twitter.com/richiewe11ens/status/1285660163177959428?s=21
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: Sunday, May 2, 2021, 21:21:50 »

Wellens signed Kovar and he was 100% a Wellens signing so he initiated the downward spiral then?

I think you're getting a little carried away with the seriousness element. Possible "thread fatigue", we've all been there. I'm pretty certain SM was using subtle satire when bracketing Kovar.

When do you move to the floodplains* of Tewkesbury T2K?

*This is also, subtle satire.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Sunday, May 2, 2021, 21:24:58 »

If Wellens decision to leave was based what a cunt Power is then why did he come here in the first place? And why did he stay so long? Why didn’t he resign?

He was happy enough working for Power till he got offered another job.

He came to Swindon to get back into management.  His time at Oldham wasn’t successful and I doubt there were a queue of clubs looking to sign him up as a manager.  When he was announced as manager of Swindon I’m pretty sure most of our fans were uninspired. He had to take the chance to show what he believed he could do (and he completed it rather successfully by getting Town promoted).

I think their was interest from Blackpool (how strong I don’t really know). There is no benefit to Wellens of resigning from Swindon as he has a mortgage and other bills to pay and there was no guarantee that he would be able to find a new job.

I think a few fans just resent Wellens because he left Swindon for another club.  Even if someone like Sheffield Wednesday went for him people would say he is a bottler.

swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: Sunday, May 2, 2021, 21:27:31 »

Kovar was a disaster,  true Wellens signed him,  but like many others their true abilities often remain untapped until they are tried, then it's too late.  Budget, or lack of,  initiate signings such as this which is only down to one person.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: Sunday, May 2, 2021, 21:27:55 »

Nahh DV, anyone could have kept that squad up (Mesozoic one aside). They simply stopped playing for a manager/management team that was devoid of any real direction or instruction.

You could have put Mr. Benn in charge in Jan/Feb/Early March and he would have kept us up. The kits might have been interesting too  Cheesy

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: Monday, May 3, 2021, 05:24:17 »

He came to Swindon to get back into management.  His time at Oldham wasn’t successful and I doubt there were a queue of clubs looking to sign him up as a manager.  When he was announced as manager of Swindon I’m pretty sure most of our fans were uninspired. He had to take the chance to show what he believed he could do (and he completed it rather successfully by getting Town promoted).

I think their was interest from Blackpool (how strong I don’t really know). There is no benefit to Wellens of resigning from Swindon as he has a mortgage and other bills to pay and there was no guarantee that he would be able to find a new job.

I think a few fans just resent Wellens because he left Swindon for another club.  Even if someone like Sheffield Wednesday went for him people would say he is a bottler.

So from day one he was only working with Power till he was offered another job, is that the narrative you are going for?

There was no other job in football available to Wellens so he had to compromise on his principles and work for Power.

Thankfully another job came up and he could stick to Power who he never liked from day 1.

I don’t resent Wellens for leaving. He (and Jewell) built a poor squad this season and Wellens wouldn’t have lasted the season anyway. He knew he had a losing hand here - that why he moved on and that is the bit that grates that he didn’t have the stomach to try & sort his shit out.

...and what Power is like as a person has fuck all to do with any of that.
From a business point of view, sure he cut the budget but I’ll bet my left bollock that we weren’t the only club to cut the budget during a pandemic with the clubs main source of income totally removed. I’d also bet my right bollock that our budget was not the lowest in the division. Yet we will finish bottom two.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: Monday, May 3, 2021, 05:24:52 »

Nahh DV, anyone could have kept that squad up.

Absolutely not.
normy

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: Monday, May 3, 2021, 14:03:57 »

My first worry about Wellens pre-season was his failure to sign a decent keeper out of the ones we had on trial. It all went strangely quiet as he messed about with other signings and not keeper, as if he didn't care.  There's probably a lot more we don't know as is usual, but that failure cost many soft goals and defensive uncertainty.

ust be the oldest
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: