Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pointless home game against Ipswich  (Read 24602 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #240 on: Sunday, May 2, 2021, 17:41:19 »

Macari, Ardilies, Hoddle, Todd, Evans, Wise.....they all left once there was a better offer on the table.

If they bottled then they are also bottlers, so I'm not sure of what point you're trying to make.

The circumstances were somewhat different, however. They were mostly moving on to further their careers - which I get. I don't think they necessarily bottled it because things got difficult which is what I think of Wellens.

Hoddle left to manage Chelsea FFS!
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: Sunday, May 2, 2021, 17:45:28 »

Plus most of them left us with a better squad than when they joined.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: Sunday, May 2, 2021, 17:47:41 »

Hoddle could have stayed for another season but chose to jump ship as soon as Chelsea came calling. He was only 38/39 so the opportunity would have still have been there next time around and it's not as if it was his beloved Spurs that came calling.
Either way Wellens going to Salford and Hoddle to Chelsea both thought it was a better career move.
« Last Edit: Sunday, May 2, 2021, 17:52:15 by Jimmy Quinn » Logged

So, give no fucks
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Sunday, May 2, 2021, 17:52:25 »

Hoddle was signed to Chelsea after his injury at Monaco, it's was always on the cards that he would go back after his success with Swindon
Flashheart

« Reply #244 on: Sunday, May 2, 2021, 17:59:33 »

Either way Wellens going to Salford and Hoddle to Chelsea both thought it was a better career move.

And, again, I think Wellens just bottled it as soon as things got tough. Which is why I' don't want him back - I think he'd do the same again.

I might be wrong to think that, but it is the reason behind me not wanting him back (despite what others might claim), and what Hoddle or any other manager has done in the past doesn't change that.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Sunday, May 2, 2021, 18:02:13 »

Macari, Ardilies, Hoddle.....they all left once there was a better offer on the table.
Comparing Wellens to those 3 is laughable, all left to manage big clubs and challenge themselves further, even Wise left for Leeds who are a massive club.
Wellens went backwards to what he thought was his comfort blanket and another easy promotion and it failed miserably, he just cared about his ‘CV’. I’m with Flash, he bottled it didn’t fancy the hard work of sorting out the mess he helped create.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Sunday, May 2, 2021, 18:08:33 »

But did Wellens know more about Powers shenanigans and decide that he didn't want anything to do with it plus he knew the funds weren't there and was openly frustrated when there were no signings at the end of the first transfer window.

So, give no fucks
Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: Sunday, May 2, 2021, 18:09:17 »

If they bottled then they are also bottlers, so I'm not sure of what point you're trying to make.

The circumstances were somewhat different, however. They were mostly moving on to further their careers - which I get. I don't think they necessarily bottled it because things got difficult which is what I think of Wellens.

Hoddle left to manage Chelsea FFS!

Wellens didn’t bottle it. He simply went to a club with more financial clout and who in the short term at least have better prospects then Swindon to progress up the EFL (mainly due to their owners).

If Wellens stayed at Swindon we would have comfortably stayed up this season. Whilst defensively we looked bad during his time as manager in league 1, at least we attacked with purpose and looked like scoring in most matches.  We would have taken the lead on far more matches this season and then held on for wins or get draws.

Wellens was always honest and upfront with the fans and knew what it would take for Swindon to get promoted out of league 1. He managed to get us out of league 2 when no one expected us to do anything.

Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Sunday, May 2, 2021, 18:12:13 »

Comparing Wellens to those 3 is laughable, all left to manage big clubs and challenge themselves further, even Wise left for Leeds who are a massive club.
Wellens went backwards to what he thought was his comfort blanket and another easy promotion and it failed miserably, he just cared about his ‘CV’. I’m with Flash, he bottled it didn’t fancy the hard work of sorting out the mess he helped create.

If you ask managers from the championship to league 2 if they would prefer to manage Salford or Swindon with a view to a long term project then I would be surprised if more then 5% of the managers would want to manage Swindon. Absolute no brainier to manage Salford. Really don’t understand why our fans don’t get that.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Sunday, May 2, 2021, 18:14:03 »

Exactly that plus at the time he knew the club he was joining had plenty of money and was stable.

So, give no fucks
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: Sunday, May 2, 2021, 18:14:17 »

If Wellens stayed at Swindon we would have comfortably stayed up this season. Whilst defensively we looked bad during his time as manager in league 1, at least we attacked with purpose and looked like scoring in most matches.  We would have taken the lead on far more matches this season and then held on for wins or get draws.

Wellens was always honest and upfront with the fans and knew what it would take for Swindon to get promoted out of league 1. He managed to get us out of league 2 when no one expected us to do anything.

We’ll never know whether he’d of kept us up as he bottled it rather than proving himself in hope of an easy job.

As for honest and upfront do me a favour he was literally stringing us along towards the end spouting crap about loyalty whilst engineering his exit.
« Last Edit: Sunday, May 2, 2021, 18:16:01 by theakston2k » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #251 on: Sunday, May 2, 2021, 18:25:33 »

Wellens didn’t bottle it.

I don't agree.

But I'm not going to try and convince anybody I'm right. I responded to point out that I think he did bottle and THAT is my reason for not wanting him back. Again, I might be wrong to hold that opinion but it is the opinion that I hold.

To be absolutely clear: I don't want him back because I think he's a bottler and I think he would bottle again.

I know I'm repeating myself, but I've made my opinion quite clear in the past (as have others) only to get snide digs about being 'precious', or 'jilted lovers', and other such comments that have been bandied about since he's gone. Perhaps if I repeat it enough then more people will realise that myself and others genuinely hold the opinions we claim to hold and that perhaps, maybe, we know what our thoughts are better than other people do?

Otherwise, those people can just fuck right off.

Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: Sunday, May 2, 2021, 18:36:03 »

I don't agree.

But I'm not going to try and convince anybody I'm right. I responded to point out that I think he did bottle and THAT is my reason for not wanting him back. Again, I might be wrong to hold that opinion but it is the opinion that I hold.

To be absolutely clear: I don't want him back because I think he's a bottler and I think he would bottle again.

I know I'm repeating myself, but I've made my opinion quite clear in the past (as have others) only to get snide digs about being 'precious', or 'jilted lovers', and other such comments that have been bandied about since he's gone. Perhaps if I repeat it enough then more people will realise that myself and others genuinely hold the opinions we claim to hold and that perhaps, maybe, we know what our thoughts are better than other people do?

Fair enough. I personally would love to have Wellens back. At least we played good football and I think he would give it a right go at getting us promoted again. He engaged with the fans and is the complete opposite of Sheridan. He knows what it takes to get a team promoted from this league and just needs time to build a squad.

If he does well for Swindon again then it’s likely a club with a more attractive long term plan will come and swoop for him. That is part and parcel of football and if other teams are interested in our manager then it means we are doing well as a club.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: Sunday, May 2, 2021, 18:36:59 »

Macari, Ardilies, Hoddle, Todd, Evans, Wise.....they all left once there was a better offer on the table.
Assume by Evans you mean Roy Evans? He didn't leave because there was a better offer on the table, he left because he had been brought in by Donnegan and Blatchley and when they were forced out by legal action by SSW, Carson et al, the new board informed Evans that the club was hugely in debt and he would have no money to work with, so he resigned as he didn't believe he could take the club forward and didn't want his own wages to be part of the problem. Unlike Ruddock who continued to draw a wage nearly as large as his shorts
Cowley38

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: Sunday, May 2, 2021, 18:39:27 »

I don't agree.

Does Constable Flashheart not like anyone making snide comments or digs at him when they don't agree or believe posts he makes..

Isn't that a bit hypercritical of you baring in mind the snide digs you  have made to anyone not in the clique that has posted anything you don't believe or agree with....

Smug Fuck Off
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: