Pages: 1 ... 197 198 199 [200] 201 202 203 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1205962 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2985 on: Friday, May 1, 2020, 11:26:39 »

most sensible post I've read on this in ages.   This 100%,  let's just get through this,  argue the wrongs and rights afterwards.
If we'd done that, we'd still be following "herd immunity without a vaccine" which the govt's own advisers said would lead to 250,000 deaths. And there'd be no pressure on getting PPE, tests etc for health workers and care workers. And afterwards, no-one would know what had happened, so we'd just have to take the govt's word for it that they'd done a splendid job. The crisis makes scrutiny more important, not less.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2986 on: Friday, May 1, 2020, 11:49:17 »

The crisis makes scrutiny more important, not less.

Bet you haven't even congratulated Boris on having a baby, you lefty heartless bastard!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2987 on: Friday, May 1, 2020, 11:59:19 »

Bet you haven't even congratulated Boris on having a baby, you lefty heartless bastard!
It's not like it's his first time. Although tbf, I'll give him some credit, it's 2 days in and he hasn't abandoned this one yet. As far as we know.
Flashheart

« Reply #2988 on: Friday, May 1, 2020, 12:22:15 »

This thing is such a mind fuck that both the better half and I forgot it's our boy's birthday today - cake incoming.

But they have decided to life the booze ban on Sunday - Result.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #2989 on: Friday, May 1, 2020, 12:31:20 »

most sensible post I've read on this in ages.   This 100%,  let's just get through this,  argue the wrongs and rights afterwards.

‘Getting through this’ might take 2 years. It will require a host of decisions that will improve or worsen our lives. It needs more scrutiny than anything that has come before in our lives.
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #2990 on: Friday, May 1, 2020, 12:55:40 »

If we'd done that, we'd still be following "herd immunity without a vaccine" which the govt's own advisers said would lead to 250,000 deaths. And there'd be no pressure on getting PPE, tests etc for health workers and care workers. And afterwards, no-one would know what had happened, so we'd just have to take the govt's word for it that they'd done a splendid job. The crisis makes scrutiny more important, not less.

I'm sure the change in strategy was down to a change in advise. If it wasn't then they deserve to be crucified. I agree in regards to ppe and testing.

At the risk of being drawn back in I'll try one last time to clarify what I've been saying. Government inaction at the start has caused the increased spread of the virus. This may inadvertently help us avoid a second wave, but right now it seems a huge mistake. If we'd have followed exactly what Germany did, would we have followed their rate of infection and mortality? We have no way to sure, there appear to be far to many variables in place. Is there an effect due to climate/different strains/environmental differences/genetic differences/population density/demographics etc. etc. etc. The countries that aren't badly hit, yet haven't followed strict lockdowns or contact tracing, show at least some of this must be the case. When we know these effects, then we can compare numbers(provided everyone is reporting in the same way, which is another reason not to do it currently!)
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #2991 on: Friday, May 1, 2020, 13:23:05 »

Don't think we'll ever know the true extent of  the numbers or what has really happened behind the scenes no matter how much it is scrutinised. Do agree it was a fuck up with the PPE, and that someone should take responsibility for that, although no one probably will.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2992 on: Friday, May 1, 2020, 14:25:44 »

I'm sure the change in strategy was down to a change in advise. If it wasn't then they deserve to be crucified. I agree in regards to ppe and testing.

At the risk of being drawn back in I'll try one last time to clarify what I've been saying. Government inaction at the start has caused the increased spread of the virus. This may inadvertently help us avoid a second wave, but right now it seems a huge mistake. If we'd have followed exactly what Germany did, would we have followed their rate of infection and mortality? We have no way to sure, there appear to be far to many variables in place. Is there an effect due to climate/different strains/environmental differences/genetic differences/population density/demographics etc. etc. etc. The countries that aren't badly hit, yet haven't followed strict lockdowns or contact tracing, show at least some of this must be the case. When we know these effects, then we can compare numbers(provided everyone is reporting in the same way, which is another reason not to do it currently!)
Again, I think we're agreeing with each other here.
Flashheart

« Reply #2993 on: Friday, May 1, 2020, 14:30:06 »

You two are crap at arguing with each other.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2994 on: Friday, May 1, 2020, 14:30:44 »

Don't think we'll ever know the true extent of  the numbers
That's why I've been banging on about the overall excess deaths stats that the FT have been working out as it's the only reliable method of working out what the impact of Covid19 has been in terms of deaths. Not my words, that's according to Chris Whitty and Iain Vallance, the Chief Medical Officer and Chief Scientific Officer. That figure, overall excess deaths, is currently at just over 48k deaths.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2995 on: Friday, May 1, 2020, 14:31:05 »

You two are crap at arguing with each other.
Fuck off and have a drink Smiley
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2996 on: Friday, May 1, 2020, 14:31:36 »

Post lockdown masks available.

https://twitter.com/Official_STFC/status/1256226420982001664?s=20
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #2997 on: Friday, May 1, 2020, 15:25:59 »

Fuck off and have a drink Smiley

Completely agree with this  Smiley
4D