Pages: 1 ... 900 901 902 [903] 904 905 906 907   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2186314 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #13530 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2024, 08:32:19 »

King's Speech today should be pretty instructive in terms of what Labour are planning to do with their massive majority. Talk of an enormous number of bills - for better or worse, it'll be a change to have a government that actually has a legislative agenda rather than just chugging along making a lot of noise and not doing very much at all.

Football regulation bill will be interesting to people of this parish. Not sure jailing Lee Power can be specifically written into law, but a man can dream.

Planning reform looks to be the big bit which will no doubt prove popular in theory and then wildly unpopular when it turns out the building will be actually be on specific sites near you. I wonder how the Shaw Tip Newts are doing?

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #13531 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2024, 09:27:59 »

Planning reform looks to be the big bit which will no doubt prove popular in theory and then wildly unpopular when it turns out the building will be actually be on specific sites near you. I wonder how the Shaw Tip Newts are doing?

They've done a fair bit on planning already in the two weeks they have been in, as for the rest if it comes to fruition as expected its going to be incredibly welcome in the sector.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #13532 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2024, 11:02:13 »

Football Regulation Bill is in then, and I would hope ready to go fairly sharpish.
Mexicano Rojo

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #13533 on: Thursday, July 18, 2024, 18:19:31 »

Thank god!!!

I got my postal vote today! big letters on the front - OPEN IMMEDIATELY - DO NOT DELAY
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #13534 on: Thursday, July 18, 2024, 18:24:30 »

Thank god!!!

I got my postal vote today! big letters on the front - OPEN IMMEDIATELY - DO NOT DELAY

That was timely! Phew!

On another note, feels like a matter of time now before Biden packs it in. Trump appears to be on course for a healthy victory if he’s again Joe, Democrats might be able to limit the damage if he drops out, it would seem.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #13535 on: Sunday, July 21, 2024, 17:59:27 »

Joe Bye-Then

Things get better but they never get good
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #13536 on: Sunday, July 21, 2024, 18:14:48 »

It's the right decision, but it must have been a very hard one to take. Pretty mad that nobody of note stood against him in the primary.

Sensational revenge on all political journalists announcing this on a Sunday afternoon though.
« Last Edit: Sunday, July 21, 2024, 18:18:47 by Nemo » Logged
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #13537 on: Sunday, July 21, 2024, 18:31:25 »

Seismic and inevitable in equal measures.

Trump pretty much a shoo-in now.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #13538 on: Sunday, July 21, 2024, 18:40:17 »

Trump pretty much a shoo-in now.

I don't know, I think Trump was a shoo-in before and this is a huge injection of chaos into the whole thing. Probably still favourite, but the narrative changes, and the narrative before was "Biden can't do the job" which is... unwinnable.
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #13539 on: Sunday, July 21, 2024, 18:47:54 »

I don't know, I think Trump was a shoo-in before and this is a huge injection of chaos into the whole thing. Probably still favourite, but the narrative changes, and the narrative before was "Biden can't do the job" which is... unwinnable.

That’s an interesting take I’d not thought of before.

Problem is, if the chaos did lead to the race being shaken up in a way that benefits the Dems, is Kamala the right person to lead the free world?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #13540 on: Sunday, July 21, 2024, 18:49:05 »

That’s an interesting take I’d not thought of before.

Problem is, if the chaos did lead to the race being shaken up in a way that benefits the Dems, is Kamala the right person to lead the free world?

I think in a three way discussion between Biden going on till he's 85 and Trump on his revenge tour, the answer is a resounding yes.

Give me the choice of anyone else and we may be may be here a while.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #13541 on: Sunday, July 21, 2024, 19:57:26 »

I can't see it being anyone bar Harris.  Nobody worthy of the nomination, outside her, is going to risk their political future on a 4 month campaign that they risk losing.  I can see them choosing Harris and convincing her to go for a long term Governor in a Republican State, to try and win an extra State that may be on the edge, like North Carolina with Roy Cooper.  He is term limited and not really at the forefront of the Party so won't overshadow her.  NC is a tight State, so it might be useful if the Democrats can't close the gap in another swing State.

Trump remains the favourite, but I can see this being very close again.
« Last Edit: Monday, July 22, 2024, 01:52:47 by RobertT » Logged
bathford

Ignore
« Reply #13542 on: Sunday, July 21, 2024, 21:33:57 »

Publicly, Trump will right off VP Harris as a non entity. Privately, he will be worried, very worried.

VP Harris is female. That will get her a lot of votes. Trump’s history with females isn’t exactly popular. His team will have to reign him in.

She is African / American. That will sway many people to vote for her.

Her age. In terms of the Presidency, she young. She will appeal to all ages.

Experience. She is a seasoned political animal. Good at her job and knows the White House way of doing things.

I’ve had the opportunity of meeting her on two occasions in both NY and Washington.
She is a charming, popular person who has kept her head down and got on with the job.

To make up time she will have to go on the attack. Trump will need to watch his P’s and Q’s. If not, she’ll rip him a new one.
« Last Edit: Sunday, July 21, 2024, 21:36:57 by bathford » Logged
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #13543 on: Monday, July 22, 2024, 08:29:32 »

You have said it exactly as I would have, Bathford. I think Trump will be flummoxed, and because he has not an ounce of diplomacy or common sense in his head, he is liable to make some big mistakes from here on in.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #13544 on: Monday, July 22, 2024, 09:27:06 »

But Trump has a whole campaign team to come up with "the message".

He will rarely be in a position where he has to think for himself on strategy. In the rallies and any one on ones he'll just lie and bluster his way through again.
Pages: 1 ... 900 901 902 [903] 904 905 906 907   Go Up
Print
Jump to: