Pages: 1 ... 899 900 901 [902] 903 904 905 ... 907   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2204877 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #13515 on: Monday, July 8, 2024, 20:29:57 »

I can absolutely get someone not supporting any of the parties, I don't.  I have always struggled in finding a political home, not least because the parties do shift themselves over time, in both directions.  The Conservative Party took on many aspects of policy that would have been considered more left leaning in history.  Their position on immigration for example, is one that has always had a hint of fear, but happily brought in labour from abroad to keep wages down.  Labour, driven by the Unions, being very much the opposite until the EU began pushing a Social Agenda (not knocking it, just stating Labour very much changed sides once they saw the benefits).  After which they became a party that was very pro-immigration.

Then you have the weird recent change where social concepts have become woven in the Party policies.

The Lib Dems seem to bounce between being centrist to be very left, socially especially.

The Greens are sort of well meaning, but are a little too purist for my liking.

I am not able to find a home.  Financially I am probably right of centre in UK politics, but I would Nationalise the Water Industry and Rail in a heart beat.  The NHS is a shining beacon - trust me, I may get plush rooms with private healthcare over here, but you are fucked if you don't work for a large company or get paid a wedge.

I'd have near open borders (a lot of complexity needs solving to make that work).

I think it is absolutely fucking weird for people to be so obsessed with whether someone else wants to wear a skirt or trousers, or give a fuck who other people choose to love.

I hate the notion that our Culture (speaking as a Brit) is something set in stone, as if it has always been one way.  We spoke French as our National language for a while - grow the fuck up.  Humans move around, it's what we have always done.  Our culture is a mish-mash of the past 50 years and the people who now make up the populace, regardless of where they came from or language they speak.  I hate religion, but everyone should be free to worship whoever they want.

I think public employees, most of whom are well meaning and probably want to do well for people, are a financial waste of space most of the time.  I believe in the welfare state - there should be a civic duty to ensure a minimum for all, but I'm also not going to froth at the mouth that anyone asking for support be able to show they deserve it.  I am fine with my open border stance being offset by people moving into the Country being told they have to support themselves for a period first or risk being on a much more basic level.  That said, they should be free to work.

And so on.  I am all over the shop.
« Last Edit: Monday, July 8, 2024, 20:32:16 by RobertT » Logged
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #13516 on: Monday, July 8, 2024, 20:44:58 »

I support RobT, that made sense. I can't wait for him to flip flop when he gets into power

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Moss

Ignore
« Reply #13517 on: Tuesday, July 9, 2024, 15:33:26 »

I can absolutely get someone not supporting any of the parties, I don't.  I have always struggled in finding a political home, not least because the parties do shift themselves over time, in both directions.  The Conservative Party took on many aspects of policy that would have been considered more left leaning in history.  Their position on immigration for example, is one that has always had a hint of fear, but happily brought in labour from abroad to keep wages down.  Labour, driven by the Unions, being very much the opposite until the EU began pushing a Social Agenda (not knocking it, just stating Labour very much changed sides once they saw the benefits).  After which they became a party that was very pro-immigration.

Then you have the weird recent change where social concepts have become woven in the Party policies.

The Lib Dems seem to bounce between being centrist to be very left, socially especially.

The Greens are sort of well meaning, but are a little too purist for my liking.

I am not able to find a home.  Financially I am probably right of centre in UK politics, but I would Nationalise the Water Industry and Rail in a heart beat.  The NHS is a shining beacon - trust me, I may get plush rooms with private healthcare over here, but you are fucked if you don't work for a large company or get paid a wedge.

I'd have near open borders (a lot of complexity needs solving to make that work).

I think it is absolutely fucking weird for people to be so obsessed with whether someone else wants to wear a skirt or trousers, or give a fuck who other people choose to love.

I hate the notion that our Culture (speaking as a Brit) is something set in stone, as if it has always been one way.  We spoke French as our National language for a while - grow the fuck up.  Humans move around, it's what we have always done.  Our culture is a mish-mash of the past 50 years and the people who now make up the populace, regardless of where they came from or language they speak.  I hate religion, but everyone should be free to worship whoever they want.

I think public employees, most of whom are well meaning and probably want to do well for people, are a financial waste of space most of the time.  I believe in the welfare state - there should be a civic duty to ensure a minimum for all, but I'm also not going to froth at the mouth that anyone asking for support be able to show they deserve it.  I am fine with my open border stance being offset by people moving into the Country being told they have to support themselves for a period first or risk being on a much more basic level.  That said, they should be free to work.

And so on.  I am all over the shop.

Can't disagree with any of that - I guess I am partisan but also a pragmatist. Don't understand all the people not voting for Starmer because he got rid of Corbyn (who did have some great ideas - free wifi before the pandemic would have been very helpful)

Bottom line is the Tories are looking to feather their own nests and put money before anything else.

I don't want my kids to be paying their university loans till they are 60, that's just outrageous when the generation that imposed all that got their education for free. Public services require taxation but I  believe in the free market but also have a social conscience. The Tories want to get rid of the NHS and let the poor die, rather than them having to pay tax for it. Tories are basically selfish cunts - that sums it up for me.
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #13518 on: Tuesday, July 9, 2024, 20:52:05 »

when it was free only 10% did degrees, can we afford 5 times that now?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #13519 on: Tuesday, July 9, 2024, 23:04:54 »

when it was free only 10% did degrees, can we afford 5 times that now?
Exactly that. No we can't. All because Blair wanted everyone to have a degree
4D
That was definately my last game, honest

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #13520 on: Wednesday, July 10, 2024, 08:52:38 »

It's amazing the amount of people who get degrees which don't represent what they end up doing as a career. Better off learning a trade.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #13521 on: Wednesday, July 10, 2024, 09:25:51 »

It's amazing the amount of people who get degrees which don't represent what they end up doing as a career. Better off learning a trade.

This was always the case though.  I worked in IT and had two guys in the team I worked in early in my career that had degrees in Chemical Engineering.

The problem with now is that some of the degrees that people get are of virtually no use once they leave university.

I would have a list of degrees that are useful to society/industry, and those degrees would be free, as long as the people being funded remain in the UK for the next 10 years. If you want to do a degree in something useless then you can pay for it yourself.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #13522 on: Wednesday, July 10, 2024, 12:05:16 »

That’s pretty much what it has been for years so I’m led to understand. When DNA senior graduated from Reading with two language degrees he said only he and one other would be entering the work place using their degrees. My nieces ex got a degree in marine biology but ended up as GSK in London. The Jnr DNA, I have no idea what he’ll be doing this time next year. I guess there is a limit to the amount of professions directly linked to specific degree courses.
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #13523 on: Friday, July 12, 2024, 07:58:20 »

Biden.

I don’t really think it matters upon which side of the political fence you reside, he’s an embarrassment. On a human level, watching him talk is, as the yoof would say, ‘cringey’. He didn’t even realise he referred to Kamala Harris as Vice President Trump. Are he and Donald really the best America can muster?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #13524 on: Friday, July 12, 2024, 08:58:21 »

Can understand a million briefings going through his head and long long days not helping. Trump does it as well TBF.

But after the debate fiasco, he needed to be perfect. The horse has bolted and there's no going back now I fear.
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #13525 on: Friday, July 12, 2024, 09:06:48 »

Can understand a million briefings going through his head and long long days not helping. Trump does it as well TBF.

But after the debate fiasco, he needed to be perfect. The horse has bolted and there's no going back now I fear.

Completely agree it must be very hard. I think though that when Trump does it he manages to sound coherent around the nonsense he spouts. The lack of slurring and the confidence with which he delivers words he’s just made up also helps.

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #13526 on: Friday, July 12, 2024, 09:11:14 »

It's an expectations thing I guess, Trump has always talked absolute rambly crap, Biden just looks like a normal person getting old.

I know from personal (if somewhat less important) experience how hard it is for an older person to accept they aren't as capable as they used to be. But President of the US isn't a job someone can keep out of stubbornness and people not wanting to upset them.
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #13527 on: Friday, July 12, 2024, 09:18:04 »

It's an expectations thing I guess, Trump has always talked absolute rambly crap, Biden just looks like a normal person getting old.

I know from personal (if somewhat less important) experience how hard it is for an older person to accept they aren't as capable as they used to be. But President of the US isn't a job someone can keep out of stubbornness and people not wanting to upset them.

I agree with this. Trump just doesn’t look like he’s suffering from his age half as much as Biden is. In fact, from the debate highlights, he looked like a man happy to let his opponent dig his own hole, which was clever.

Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #13528 on: Friday, July 12, 2024, 09:32:19 »

Biden.

I don’t really think it matters upon which side of the political fence you reside, he’s an embarrassment. On a human level, watching him talk is, as the yoof would say, ‘cringey’. He didn’t even realise he referred to Kamala Harris as Vice President Trump. Are he and Donald really the best America can muster?

Worse than the VP Trump statement, was calling Zelenskiy "President Putin".

It reminds you of the time that Ronald Reagan called Princess Diana, "Princess David" when welcoming her & Charlie to the White House.

Surely this must lead to him stepping sown
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #13529 on: Friday, July 12, 2024, 16:16:14 »

I don't think all the noise that Democrats are creating can end in any other outcome than someone like Harris taking over the ticket, as much as Biden seems intent on battling through.  If it was just a case of a bad performance and looking bit old right now, then maybe he could get away with it, but it's the fact he'd be sitting in the top seat for four more years.  That will give independent voters, and those with lacking enthusiasm, all the evidence they need to stay at home.  I doubt Trump wins anyone over, but Biden can lose a lot of votes.
Pages: 1 ... 899 900 901 [902] 903 904 905 ... 907   Go Up
Print
Jump to: