Pages: 1 ... 775 776 777 [778] 779 780 781 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1995704 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #11655 on: Thursday, September 30, 2021, 11:30:05 »

You've been listening to a party political broadcast by the Legends Party  Smiley
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #11656 on: Thursday, September 30, 2021, 11:40:51 »

Some interesting points, many I disagree with, but sets out why you'd end up voting for your least worse option.  I've never voted - so technically people will likely say my opinion carries little weight, but I'll offer it anyway.

Labour's current issue is twofold for me - first, they stuck a toe in the EU waters without ever really jumping in.  Everyone knew Corbyn was all for getting out, if they'd gone full Brexit they would probably be in power now.  I say that as a pro-EU person who leans left on more things than I do right.  The Country was clearly never properly for the EU if it truly considered the end game.

Their second issue is the change in politics which has left them a bit stranded.  They are caught between the old school looking out for the working man Union stuff (which in times gone by would have hated the EU, freedom of movement that creates more competition for those at the bottom) and the new wave Social Justice/Progressive stuff that the more London focused part of the party is interested in.  Again, the UK population that would go after their old school politics isn't really with them on the new school stuff.

The Tories, who have always been a bit cuntish to those not on their side, have identified that opportunity with the electorate and the British electoral system and gone fully in on the cultural war stuff, like the Republicans over here.  It will never get more than about 40% in total because much of it is actually against the sensibilities of modern people, but there enough crusties in the right places, with enough recent venom towards the Labour party to win elections.

What is odd is how the Libs have not been able to go full 1990's on the Tories in the South.  The student fees issue probably has damaged them for a generation and they seem to have gone after the same pocket of people Labour is fighting itself over.  They'd be better served be the Party that reacts to local issues like they used to be.  A bit left of centre, but agile enough to tackle either party in a location if necessary.

Labour should also consider, in a post EU world, if offering the Scots a path to Independence is something worth supporting.  Not going full Nationalist, just agreeing to give them a vote, be independent in said vote and offer up some more Regionalisation  even if they don't take the full out card.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #11657 on: Thursday, September 30, 2021, 11:53:20 »

You've been listening to a party political broadcast by the Legends Party  Smiley

Reading, it’s reading.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #11658 on: Thursday, September 30, 2021, 12:26:13 »

When it's read out loud, then I'm listening.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #11659 on: Thursday, September 30, 2021, 12:52:39 »

When it's read out loud, then I'm listening.

Nah, you’re reading it.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #11660 on: Thursday, September 30, 2021, 18:54:15 »

I’ll be honest I haven’t heard Starmers conference speech, though I will acknowledge that media seems to feel it was not bad in spite of the Far left heckling him he managed it reasonably well. Shame for him then that he tripped over his shoelaces when he was on TV this morning. Female James Bond 🤣🤣

Reminds me of a desperate William Hague wearing a baseball cap to look cool when he was leader of the rudderless conservatives while Blair swept all before him.
« Last Edit: Thursday, September 30, 2021, 19:20:52 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
jevs

Ignore
« Reply #11661 on: Friday, October 1, 2021, 09:36:27 »

I’ll be honest I haven’t heard Starmers conference speech, though I will acknowledge that media seems to feel it was not bad in spite of the Far left heckling him he managed it reasonably well. Shame for him then that he tripped over his shoelaces when he was on TV this morning. Female James Bond 🤣🤣

Reminds me of a desperate William Hague wearing a baseball cap to look cool when he was leader of the rudderless conservatives while Blair swept all before him.

Starmer and Labour is like Solskjar at Utd for me, both are moving their organisations in the right direction so you'd stick with them until someone who might actually win something turns up.

In most elections it strikes me that the more positive seeming character generally wins, this seems to appeal to the decisive uncommitted middle ground voters who decide elections. I can't see Starmer making much headway against Johnson unless some mud from one of his indiscretions sticks with the public, or Johnson walks away to make much more cash elsewhere.

The Conservatives ability to morph from one thing to another is impressive if cynical, but that's politics & they're so much better at limiting public bitching. Pro EU Cameron wins elections brings in austerity but still grow the debt hugely, now they're virtually UKIP spending eye watering amounts of public money that even Corbyn wouldn't have spent...in the words of the late great Jimmy Greaves, it's a funny old game.
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #11662 on: Friday, October 1, 2021, 10:44:28 »

The best starmer can do is a Neil Kinnock. Sort out the left wing and make them electable again and pass the baton on. This may take years.. I've always thought Kinnock was underrated.
It's common for governments to lose elections rather than opposition win but despite the current Tories being a total bunch of cunts, labour will not win the next election, not even close.
jevs

Ignore
« Reply #11663 on: Friday, October 1, 2021, 16:34:26 »

The best starmer can do is a Neil Kinnock. Sort out the left wing and make them electable again and pass the baton on. This may take years.. I've always thought Kinnock was underrated.
It's common for governments to lose elections rather than opposition win but despite the current Tories being a total bunch of cunts, labour will not win the next election, not even close.

I think you're right, but Kinnock did not have the issue of the membership that Starmer does - Kinnock had the support of the unions to make Labour electable. Starmer has 1 member 1 vote, and loads of momentum types signed up on a cheap deal under Corbyn I believe so it's not going to be easy for him to boot people out. In the past Labour had a majority in Scotland, can they win an election without it?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #11664 on: Saturday, October 2, 2021, 15:18:25 »

Guardian: Mixed Messages for Political Leaders from Election Bellwether Town of Swindon
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #11665 on: Saturday, October 2, 2021, 15:40:08 »

Fuck off. It is Saturday FFS.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #11666 on: Saturday, October 2, 2021, 17:06:46 »

OK, sweetie.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #11667 on: Saturday, October 2, 2021, 18:31:28 »

OK, sweetie.

Nonce 😃 😘
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #11668 on: Wednesday, October 6, 2021, 15:04:08 »

Just to be clear, I am not coming at this in a left vs right or vice versa angle.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-58804607

If "levelling Up" was actually a Policy and not just a throw away marketing slogan, wouldn't the trend towards Home and Hybrid working be something that would actually help that?  If the aim is to make the Regions more competitive and reduce the strain on the South East, to reduce the Country's carbon footprint and so on, well, wouldn't investment in home and hybrid be a way to achieve that?

People being able to, mostly, work from anywhere (in roles that enable that) reduces the need for travel, reduces the concentration of demand on housing, improves the work life balance and on and on.

It does create some huge challenges, the sort a Government comes in handy in helping to solve.  The collapse of the High Street as we once knew it is likely going to speed up without some sort of investment and support for a switch of use.  Local infrastructure may need improvements - Broadband speeds and reach for example, do you insist on it for new housing (it was absurd that North Swindon expanded without it).  Which roads need improving could change, plenty of legacy business models will fall apart, business located near large Business Parks/Office locations will change much like the High Street did.  Surely that should be the Policy focus for the coming years, not demanding everyone go back to doing what they did at some arbitrary point in the past.

Get those teens back in the Chimneys!
jevs

Ignore
« Reply #11669 on: Wednesday, October 6, 2021, 15:14:28 »

Just to be clear, I am not coming at this in a left vs right or vice versa angle.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-58804607

If "levelling Up" was actually a Policy and not just a throw away marketing slogan, wouldn't the trend towards Home and Hybrid working be something that would actually help that?  If the aim is to make the Regions more competitive and reduce the strain on the South East, to reduce the Country's carbon footprint and so on, well, wouldn't investment in home and hybrid be a way to achieve that?

People being able to, mostly, work from anywhere (in roles that enable that) reduces the need for travel, reduces the concentration of demand on housing, improves the work life balance and on and on.

It does create some huge challenges, the sort a Government comes in handy in helping to solve.  The collapse of the High Street as we once knew it is likely going to speed up without some sort of investment and support for a switch of use.  Local infrastructure may need improvements - Broadband speeds and reach for example, do you insist on it for new housing (it was absurd that North Swindon expanded without it).  Which roads need improving could change, plenty of legacy business models will fall apart, business located near large Business Parks/Office locations will change much like the High Street did.  Surely that should be the Policy focus for the coming years, not demanding everyone go back to doing what they did at some arbitrary point in the past.

Get those teens back in the Chimneys!

Isn't there a massive danger to the future workforce in that? If your job can be done at home, then how long before cheapskate employers work out it can be done much cheaper in a home in India, or somewhere else massively cheaper. Brexit may have changed the supply of cheap labour, but if employers get the option of another route to cheap labour you can guarantee some will take it.
Pages: 1 ... 775 776 777 [778] 779 780 781 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: