Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2010937 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #900 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 19:25:39 »

Thank you, Reg.  That's the nudge I needed.  I just have.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #901 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 19:25:49 »

I don't expect many to share that view, by the way.  Just the way I feel.

I'm in a similar position. I didn't vote for my local lib dem candidate as he was running a very negative campaign which annoyed me no end. I also didn't particularly like Clegg, although not purely on the grounds of the tuition fee fiasco as many did. But at the end of it all, they're probably closest aligned to my personal views on most issues, and, after a few years of a conservative majority, people may have more sympathy for the job they did in government.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #902 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 19:29:03 »

Like most people who earn their own money, the tuition fee fuck up they made actually means fuck all. Most importantly for me was smarmy, patronising way Clegg spoke, combined with the fact that their economic policy was fucking shit.

That and the fact that they were, almost to a man, complete fucking wazzock's. The women were even worse. Having said that, Danny Alexander was almost convincing. Apart from the shite he spoke of course...

Socially, I'm quite liberal.  But what made feel able to vote for them again this time was that their fiscal policies were actually quite sensible.  They would have been more fiscally prudent than Labour or the SNP, which - for the next 5 years or so, anyway - I personally believe is going to be necessary.

Ignore
« Reply #903 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 19:34:07 »

Look, I support businesses that make a profit by doing business in the UK paying corporation tax in on profit made in this country. Who wouldn't and why wouldn't they?. Your problem there of course, lies with the EU. You can take all your profit from the biggest economy but divert it through licensing agreements and other tools through to the lowest corporation tax constituencies, perfectly legally and within EU rules. As the CEO, with a legal obligation to investors, whether they be Corporate or individual, what would you?

You have clearly not got a fucking clue about business or economics.

As for your argument about 'tax avoidance' let me say this: I pay the same percentage amount as everyone else, you can fuck off if you think you have the right to take any more off me. We're all equal, after all...

But you said people are happy to pay for it when in reality there is plenty of evidence that they are not. They are avoiding paying regardless of the reasons how. That contradicts your original comment directed at Reg and myself.
Why anyone who voted Labour would have had a problem with people paying their way is beyond me. I think that is the way it should be.
Ironside
Wir müssen die Liberalen ausrotten

Ignore
« Reply #904 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 19:58:42 »

But you said people are happy to pay for it when in reality there is plenty of evidence that they are not. They are avoiding paying regardless of the reasons how. That contradicts your original comment directed at Reg and myself.
Why anyone who voted Labour would have had a problem with people paying their way is beyond me. I think that is the way it should be.

I said most people are prepared to contribute. Most people don't have a problem chipping in for those that can't. They get pissed of off chipping in for those that won't.

If I could avoid paying for someone who can't be arsed I would, anyone who pays even the smallest percentage of tax would.

People like you however, seem to equate, rather stupidly in my opinion, a reduction in free money to be an attack on 'the most vulnerable in our society' when it's actually nothing of the sort.

How did your reduction in taxpayers money because you have a house bigger than you need go down? It went down like a sack of shit because the people that pay for it realised that it wasn't a fucking 'tax', it was a reduction in free money paid for people who pay taxes.

Give it up. Your beliefs bear no relation to reality and if you continue down this road, you will be consigned to sharing seats with the minor parties for decades

Genius, Gentleman Explorer, French Cabaret Chantoose  and Small Bets Placed and someone who knows who they are changed my signature but its only know that I can be arsed to change it....and I mean all the spelling mistakes.

Was it me? It can't have been an interesting enough event for me to remember - fB.
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #905 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 20:03:52 »

Give it up. Your beliefs bear no relation to reality and if you continue down this road, you will be consigned to sharing seats with the minor parties for decades

Im not sure Arriba is actually in charge of setting Labour Party policy is he? Shame though, he'd get my vote

Ignore
« Reply #906 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 20:12:43 »

I said most people are prepared to contribute. Most people don't have a problem chipping in for those that can't. They get pissed of off chipping in for those that won't.

If I could avoid paying for someone who can't be arsed I would, anyone who pays even the smallest percentage of tax would.

People like you however, seem to equate, rather stupidly in my opinion, a reduction in free money to be an attack on 'the most vulnerable in our society' when it's actually nothing of the sort.

How did your reduction in taxpayers money because you have a house bigger than you need go down? It went down like a sack of shit because the people that pay for it realised that it wasn't a fucking 'tax', it was a reduction in free money paid for people who pay taxes.

In your haste to insult me you attribute opinions and views that I don't have. You assume too much.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #907 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 20:28:10 »

I do regret the Lib Dem wipe out.  They have been punished far more (in my view, anyway) than was warranted for going in to government.  Did the Lib Dem voters of 2010 honestly want them to remain a party of protest for all time?  Really?  For the first time in years, they have actually enacted their some of their policies - the increasing of the income tax threshold being a good example.  And in exchange, yes, they have had to give some ground on others.  The tuition fees-related punishment being meted out is, for me, way overdone.

I've never been closer to actually joining a political party than I am right now.  Liberalism needs a champion more than ever.

I feel the same. I hate myself for switching my vote from them to the Tories, nothing to do with them - just the Lab/SNP risk. I'm not convinced they did anything wrong in most people's eyes, they just got caught in the crossfire.

I've been thinking of joining for a while and decided today is the day. Except their website won't accept my bank details.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #908 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 21:04:15 »

I feel the same. I hate myself for switching my vote from them to the Tories, nothing to do with them - just the Lab/SNP risk. I'm not convinced they did anything wrong in most people's eyes, they just got caught in the crossfire.

I've been thinking of joining for a while and decided today is the day. Except their website won't accept my bank details.
Bloody hell we are a little Lib Dem enclave as I have been thinking same... not sure about the minimum or recommended membership fee?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #909 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 21:12:52 »

When I joined earlier this evening, there were a range of payment amounts on offer - but £25 was pre-populated...so I went with that.  Only afterwards did I see that £70 was the 'recommended amount'.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #910 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 21:34:28 »

They don't explain the membership fee very well, £12 minimum, £70 recommended. I'm sure that recommended figure is new as I don't recall seeing it on their website before.

Apparently their membership is up 5k since the election, about a 10% increase.
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #911 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 21:45:46 »

My wife and I will also be joining....but I will be hoping for a thorough review of what the party is about. It is not enough just to say that you will be the moderating influence on left or right.....there has to be a distinctive and, I would hope, courageous vision of what 'liberal values' actually are.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #912 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 21:56:03 »

And Ive joined the labour party.

Im not going to stand by and watch again.  Its time to get active.

Mind you I live in Chippenham so Ive not got a chance in hell of ever seeing a labour mp but its what I believe in.  Me and the other 3 lefties in town will have a lovely time.  Until we end up fighting over the one copy of the guardian that comes into the town and start splinter groups.

Never knowingly overstated.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #913 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 23:12:34 »

I don't expect many to share that view, by the way.  Just the way I feel.

Reflects my view entirely. I'd do the same if I had a vote in the UK.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #914 on: Monday, May 11, 2015, 06:57:25 »

Reflects my view entirely. I'd do the same if I had a vote in the UK.

When do/did you lose the right to vote in the UK?
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: