Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1995406 times)
Red and Proud

Ignore
« Reply #885 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 17:16:52 »

How did the BNP go this time round?

Give it a rest comrade Smeeton. Your lot fucked it up and lost. Save your bitter vitriol and bile for five years time.
Ironside
Wir müssen die Liberalen ausrotten

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #886 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 17:21:35 »

soapy tit wank...

Genius, Gentleman Explorer, French Cabaret Chantoose  and Small Bets Placed and someone who knows who they are changed my signature but its only know that I can be arsed to change it....and I mean all the spelling mistakes.

Was it me? It can't have been an interesting enough event for me to remember - fB.

Ignore
« Reply #887 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 17:46:03 »

Arriba and Reg can bore us to death with their tired old prejudices about the Tories but they need to remember that MOST people work for a living, pay their own way and have no problem contributing to society financially, and more often than not in other ways. They also need to remember that without money earners, it's back to subsistence farming for everyone.

Why would I have a problem with any of  that? I'm fully aware thanks. Makes no difference to my opinions.
Ironside

Ignore
« Reply #888 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 18:12:08 »

Why would I have a problem with any of  that? I'm fully aware thanks. Makes no difference to my opinions.
In which case you should, perhaps, consider the world's reality as a opposed to your silly 'ideals'?

Anyone would think that a grown man with a family and a mortgage to pay for may have a slight comprehension that someone has to pay for stuff...

Genius, Gentleman Explorer, French Cabaret Chantoose  and Small Bets Placed and someone who knows who they are changed my signature but its only know that I can be arsed to change it....and I mean all the spelling mistakes.

Was it me? It can't have been an interesting enough event for me to remember - fB.

Ignore
« Reply #889 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 18:19:08 »

why are many people not happy to "contribute" why do they search out loopholes so they can avoid "contributing to society"? Why do many big "money earners" avoid taxation? Why do many of these big "money earners" exploit people ie their staff?
That is the reality.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #890 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 18:32:01 »

Good to hear some of the Labour leader candidates coming out today and stating that it was their negative campaign that lost them the election.  Spent too much time commenting on the last 5 years of coalition failings rather than setting out their plans and talking about what they are going to do if elected. 

A bit late now mind you, even so it's good to hear them coming out and admitting it, something that they have not been good at doing since their last stint.  They still wouldn't have won with that muppet in charge but it is a positive sign that the potential new leaders might attempt to learn from their mistakes and make a fight of it in 5 years time.  I look forward to having a real choice then.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #891 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 18:32:15 »

The problem with moving from FPTP to PR is losing the connection between the MP and the constituency. Even in the best case of a mixed system, you'd end up with far bigger constituencies and a group of MP's with no real regional affiliation. Sure the link between MP and constituency is questionable at times, but I reckon we should be moving more towards that than voting simply for a party. Plus the argument that FPTP delivers more stable governments has held up again.

Whilst the smaller parties such as the Greens and UKIP might not end up with many MP's it does't mean their voters aren't heard or their views accounted for. As they receive more votes the larger parties will change their policies - such as more renewable energy and recycling, or holding a referendum on EU membership.

You would but, in all seriousness, I don't see that as much of a problem.  How many people, honestly, call on their own MP to bat for them?  Not many.  Is Robert Buckland out there now fighting for the interests of people in the southern half of Swindon, for example?  No.  He'll be doing what he's told by Conservative Party whips.

So I don't think the constituency MP link is that important.  But if it absolutely had to be retained, you could give MP's a weighted vote in the lobbies, in proportion to the votes/MP ratio.  That way for each vote of a Tory MP:

• each Labour MP would get 1.18 votes;
  • each SNP MP would have 0.76 votes;
  • each Lib Dem MP would have 8.82 votes;
  • the Green MP would have 33.80 votes; and
  • the UKIP MP would have 113.34 votes.

Sound preposterous?  Yes, it does.  But it would be more logical and fairer than the current system.
« Last Edit: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 18:34:21 by Ardiles » Logged
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #892 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 18:32:35 »

In which case you should, perhaps, consider the world's reality as a opposed to your silly 'ideals'?

Anyone would think that a grown man with a family and a mortgage to pay for may have a slight comprehension that someone has to pay for stuff...

Wow. Your cynical view of the world is thoroughly depressing (to me at least. You seem to like it).  I'd prefer to live in a society based on Arriba's "silly ideals" anyday.
Ironside

Ignore
« Reply #893 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 19:00:25 »

why are many people not happy to "contribute" why do they search out loopholes so they can avoid "contributing to society"? Why do many big "money earners" avoid taxation? Why do many of these big "money earners" exploit people ie their staff?
That is the reality.

Look, I support businesses that make a profit by doing business in the UK paying corporation tax in on profit made in this country. Who wouldn't and why wouldn't they?. Your problem there of course, lies with the EU. You can take all your profit from the biggest economy but divert it through licensing agreements and other tools through to the lowest corporation tax constituencies, perfectly legally and within EU rules. As the CEO, with a legal obligation to investors, whether they be Corporate or individual, what would you?

You have clearly not got a fucking clue about business or economics.

As for your argument about 'tax avoidance' let me say this: I pay the same percentage amount as everyone else, you can fuck off if you think you have the right to take any more off me. We're all equal, after all...

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #894 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 19:05:01 »

You would but, in all seriousness, I don't see that as much of a problem.  How many people, honestly, call on their own MP to bat for them?  Not many.  Is Robert Buckland out there now fighting for the interests of people in the southern half of Swindon, for example?  No.  He'll be doing what he's told by Conservative Party whips.

So I don't think the constituency MP link is that important.  But if it absolutely had to be retained, you could give MP's a weighted vote in the lobbies, in proportion to the votes/MP ratio.  That way for each vote of a Tory MP:

• each Labour MP would get 1.18 votes;
  • each SNP MP would have 0.76 votes;
  • each Lib Dem MP would have 8.82 votes;
  • the Green MP would have 33.80 votes; and
  • the UKIP MP would have 113.34 votes.

Sound preposterous?  Yes, it does.  But it would be more logical and fairer than the current system.

Talking of fractions of votes, the Lib Dem constitution states that a new leader must secure at least a 10% vote of the Parliamentary MP's......in their case now 0.8% of an MP  Smiley
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #895 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 19:06:08 »

We're all equal, after all...

But some are more equal than others ...
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #896 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 19:11:59 »

I do regret the Lib Dem wipe out.  They have been punished far more (in my view, anyway) than was warranted for going in to government.  Did the Lib Dem voters of 2010 honestly want them to remain a party of protest for all time?  Really?  For the first time in years, they have actually enacted their some of their policies - the increasing of the income tax threshold being a good example.  And in exchange, yes, they have had to give some ground on others.  The tuition fees-related punishment being meted out is, for me, way overdone.

I've never been closer to actually joining a political party than I am right now.  Liberalism needs a champion more than ever.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #897 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 19:13:55 »

I don't expect many to share that view, by the way.  Just the way I feel.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #898 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 19:17:13 »

I do regret the Lib Dem wipe out.  They have been punished far more (in my view, anyway) than was warranted for going in to government.  Did the Lib Dem voters of 2010 honestly want them to remain a party of protest for all time?  Really?  For the first time in years, they have actually enacted their some of their policies - the increasing of the income tax threshold being a good example.  And in exchange, yes, they have had to give some ground on others.  The tuition fees-related punishment being meted out is, for me, way overdone.

I've never been closer to actually joining a political party than I am right now.  Liberalism needs a champion more than ever.

Do it.  It's fun to see democracy operating at its grassroots. 

Ironside

Ignore
« Reply #899 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 19:25:38 »

Like most people who earn their own money, the tuition fee fuck up they made actually means fuck all. Most importantly for me was smarmy, patronising way Clegg spoke, combined with the fact that their economic policy was fucking shit.

That and the fact that they were, almost to a man, complete fucking wazzock's. The women were even worse. Having said that, Danny Alexander was almost convincing. Apart from the shite he spoke of course...

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: