Pages: 1 ... 797 798 799 [800] 801 802 803 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2011321 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #11985 on: Wednesday, April 6, 2022, 22:03:37 »

stop oil. XR, insulate Britain. all cunts.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #11986 on: Thursday, April 7, 2022, 05:33:54 »

Going back to Channel 4- although it doesn’t cost the taxpayer anything (funded by advertising)- I think it is in its best interest to be privatised otherwise it won’t be able to compete in the future with the streaming services now available like Amazon and Netflix.

The BBC is going to have to change its model too. I don’t feel comfortable with pensioners/ the poor being prosecuted for not having a TV licence to an organisation paying Gary Lineker £1.75m a year to present one programme for 1.5 hours once a week. That is not effective use of public funds.

More people subscribe to All 4 than they do to Netflix in this country.

Things get better but they never get good
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #11987 on: Thursday, April 7, 2022, 07:08:55 »

all 4 is free

all 4+ costs, . never even heard of it other than Google. is it still a thing?
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #11988 on: Thursday, April 7, 2022, 07:42:26 »

stop oil. XR, insulate Britain. all cunts.

I guess they all walk and cycle everywhere? Holiday in the UK and never been abroad? At least they may not be impacted by the energy price rises.  Smiley
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #11989 on: Thursday, April 7, 2022, 08:48:42 »

Going back to Channel 4- although it doesn’t cost the taxpayer anything (funded by advertising)- I think it is in its best interest to be privatised otherwise it won’t be able to compete in the future with the streaming services now available like Amazon and Netflix.

The BBC is going to have to change its model too. I don’t feel comfortable with pensioners/ the poor being prosecuted for not having a TV licence to an organisation paying Gary Lineker £1.75m a year to present one programme for 1.5 hours once a week. That is not effective use of public funds.

Netflix lost five billion dollars last year, Amazon and Disney Plus are loss leaders for massive conglomerates. TV streaming doesn't make money and it never will.

This is not aimed at you, more a general comment but the people complaining about the BBC because of its licence fee, also wanting to kill C4 without any licence fee, says a lot about what their problem really is. It wasn't the licence fee all along.

The Tories seem to be like the Russian Army? They know they’ve fucked it so they’re just looting and destroying all they can before their potential ousting,, knowing that it will take decades to get the country back to where it was economically and socially. What do you call a country where the government is bringing in extreme powers for the police, massively increasing surveillance of social media, and selling off the key critical broadcaster to private hands of their choice?
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #11990 on: Thursday, April 7, 2022, 08:53:14 »

I don't understand this sale. Why do c4 need to compete with Netflix etc. They have their own niche and doing very well with it given the number of Oscar nominations etc. There would appear to be no desperate need for change so why?
Not everything is better by being bigger. Sometimes it's enough to offer something a little bit different.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #11991 on: Thursday, April 7, 2022, 10:03:57 »

Privatisation is good thought right?
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #11992 on: Thursday, April 7, 2022, 10:07:49 »

On another note- Millibland getting all righteous about the foreign wife of an opposing politician paying her taxes on foreign income to the exchequer where that income is earned? So fucking what?

What she is doing is neither illegal or wrong so fuck off.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #11993 on: Thursday, April 7, 2022, 10:24:26 »

On another note- Millibland getting all righteous about the foreign wife of an opposing politician paying her taxes on foreign income to the exchequer where that income is earned? So fucking what?

What she is doing is neither illegal or wrong so fuck off.

Probably so albeit I’m not sure how politically sustainable it is for a member of the Chancellor’s family to live in the Downing Street flat but to say she doesn’t for tax reasons.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #11994 on: Thursday, April 7, 2022, 10:49:39 »

My understanding is that she holds a passport for the country of her birth, pays taxes on money earned abroad at the place where it is earned and pays her taxes to the UK exchequer on anything she earns within the UK.

All this was declared by her husband to the Cabinet Office and to the Treasury when he was appointed as a minister to ensure there was no conflict of interest.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #11995 on: Thursday, April 7, 2022, 11:22:42 »

Tax domicile is meant to be around where your long term base is meant to be.  It was once described to me as 'where you intend to die'.  So the implication here is that the family of the Chancellor of the Exchequer doesn't intend to be in the UK long term.  Just visiting.  It doesn't quite feel right to me that the current occupants of 11 Downing Street think they'll be off to India at some point.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #11996 on: Thursday, April 7, 2022, 12:09:02 »

Tax domicile is meant to be around where your long term base is meant to be.  It was once described to me as 'where you intend to die'.  So the implication here is that the family of the Chancellor of the Exchequer doesn't intend to be in the UK long term.  Just visiting.  It doesn't quite feel right to me that the current occupants of 11 Downing Street think they'll be off to India at some point.

I think there are a fair few takes on it, this from a Accounting Professor seems as good as any. https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1511964400978214912.html

I don't think she is doing anything illegal, the difficulty and embarrassment arises when her husband is ramping taxes up.

For me the main question is who is leaking all this to the press and why now, the conclusion being someone who doesn't want Sunak to be in No.10. 
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #11997 on: Thursday, April 7, 2022, 12:10:21 »

For me the main question is who is leaking all this to the press and why now, the conclusion being someone who doesn't want Sunak to be in No.10. 

His next-door neighbour, perhaps.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #11998 on: Thursday, April 7, 2022, 12:13:56 »

Or 'Pork Markets for PM!'
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #11999 on: Thursday, April 7, 2022, 12:34:55 »

Countries like the USA tax their citizens wherever they live in the world, which I find odd given their history.  I suppose they always retain the right to vote, so that covers the no tax without representation.  ON the other hand, I pay local, States and Federal Tax and can't vote.  They also tax me on gains in the UK, even if the source of that income is the UK, but they do allow me to offset tax paid in the UK.
Pages: 1 ... 797 798 799 [800] 801 802 803 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: