Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 2014 Fifa World Cup  (Read 37785 times)
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Friday, March 7, 2014, 19:27:03 »

Rooney is one of the most overrated players of all time.
agreed, been saying this for years
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Friday, March 7, 2014, 19:29:02 »

What I find amazing, is that impressive numbers still turn out at Wembley, to support the side.

Last night I watched Spain v Italy, fascinating game, between the last two winners of the WC. Spain will probably leave behind at least a dozen players who'd walk into the England squad, but the Vincente Calderon, which holds around 40,000 was at best 3/4 full.
spain could make a 3rd team that would beat england.
Baggins

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Friday, March 7, 2014, 19:35:41 »

This debate, in a way, goes to the very heart of what sport (or perhaps team sport) is all about.  If we went with the theory that if you have no chance of winning a tournament, don't take players who won't be around in a couple of years time, only three or four nations would take their strongest squads - and then where would we be?  I understand the temptation to go with that theory, but surely in the end it devalues the tournament itself?  The world cup is supposed to be a tournament pitting the best in the world against each other - we all know FIFA and our mate Sepp is trying to ruin it, but if we take this selection policy surely we are complicit in the demise of the tournament as well. 

Take our best 23 and do as well as we can.  That's what the tournament is for.  Otherwise, what exactly is the point?
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Friday, March 7, 2014, 20:22:18 »

What other nation has blooded youngsters at a major tournament in the effort to build experience? As Baggins says, it just doesn't happen.

The problem lies in the lack of English players gaining experience at the top of the English league pyramid or in European competitions.

Spain have profited from Barcelona's youth policy. Likewise with Germany.

Leaving the 'golden' pros at home will do fuck all for the youth experience when we get knocked out in the groups stages after suffering three humiliating defeats.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Friday, March 7, 2014, 20:36:03 »

agreed, been saying this for years

Yes, for a player to be on target to finish his career as leading scorers for England and Man utd would be pretty shit as things go. Let's take grant holt
Empathy Sloth

« Reply #110 on: Friday, March 7, 2014, 20:48:46 »

Would he get in the Germany/Argentina/Spain/Brazil first 11? I don't think he would.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Friday, March 7, 2014, 21:26:38 »

Yes, for a player to be on target to finish his career as leading scorers for England and Man utd would be pretty shit as things go. Let's take grant holt
overrated does not mean shit.

He just isn't in that "World Class" bracket a lot of people put him in.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Friday, March 7, 2014, 21:29:32 »

Would he get in the Germany/Argentina/Spain/Brazil first 11? I don't think he would.
I'd say he's better than Podolski so he'd probably get into Germany's squad at the mo.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Friday, March 7, 2014, 21:47:57 »

The real question is can Wayne Rooney play well 'on a sweltering night in Manaus'?

Stay tuned...
« Last Edit: Friday, March 7, 2014, 21:50:57 by Costanza » Logged
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Friday, March 7, 2014, 22:01:49 »

Take people on form, and play them in their correct position - it should be that simple. If they are in form but their position is filled, they sit on the bench - don't squeeze them in just because.

Re. the 'old guard' there is absolutely no need to take Lampard... he rarely plays well when he does feature these days. I'd be 50/50 on Cole - we could go Baines and Shaw instead.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Saturday, March 8, 2014, 00:27:37 »

He probably wouldn't but there are numerous people in this thread that think he shouldnt get in our squad which is laughable
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Saturday, March 8, 2014, 00:42:35 »

spain could make a 3rd team that would beat england.

Like their first team that has always put England to the sword  Roll Eyes

England W13, D2 , L8
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 8, 2014, 00:45:52 by 4D » Logged
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Saturday, March 8, 2014, 18:36:13 »

Like their first team that has always put England to the sword  Roll Eyes

England W13, D2 , L8

Superb.

If only current football and quality of squads was decided on historic head-to-head records.

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Saturday, March 8, 2014, 20:31:53 »

Some excellent points made and I kept changing my mind as I read them.
I think it comes back to going with what is seen as the best available side to try to go as far as possible, or gambling with youth to gain experience for the future when the chance of glory is more realistic. Me, I'd go with the latter.
The only old head who would nail a start on form is Gerrard anyway.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #119 on: Sunday, March 9, 2014, 14:20:20 »

Superb.

If only current football and quality of squads was decided on historic head-to-head records.

Shall we just base it on the most recent game between the sides then? We last played them on the 12th November 2011. I'll let you check the result.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: