Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adver News: Apologise or get out  (Read 55221 times)
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Monday, September 3, 2012, 11:50:04 »

It was handled badly by both parties, I just hope they kiss and make up, and move on.

Rash decision to substitute Wes after 20 minutes, he should've given it until half-time, then have a chat with him, a bollocking if need be. But to haul him off after 20 minutes was unnecessary in my opinion, I can understand why Wes was fuming, it must've been humiliating.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Monday, September 3, 2012, 11:51:25 »

Whilst I don't like pauld's constant trashing of all things PDC, I do feel he has a point there.
I've tried not to comment on PDC at all actually since his appointment, until yesterday. But thanks for the back-handed ack

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Monday, September 3, 2012, 11:57:06 »

It was handled badly by both parties, I just hope they kiss and make up, and move on.

Rash decision to substitute Wes after 20 minutes, he should've given it until half-time, then have a chat with him, a bollocking if need be. But to haul him off after 20 minutes was unnecessary in my opinion, I can understand why Wes was fuming, it must've been humiliating.

I was going to say this but you beat me to it. If he'd have done it at half time it would have been better for everybody.
kerry red

« Reply #48 on: Monday, September 3, 2012, 12:00:03 »

He obviously had a problem with Wes before the game - why start with him?

Deliberately humiliate him in public? I'd hate to think that was the case
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Monday, September 3, 2012, 12:01:37 »

I agree with this but equally what was he supposed to do - the way they were playing we could have been 4 or 5 down by half time if he didnt make a change as they were like bloody strangers at the back. Not saying it was right to take Wes off but something had to change and why should it be any differenmt to taking an outfield player off.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Monday, September 3, 2012, 12:05:40 »

He obviously had a problem with Wes before the game - why start with him?

Deliberately humiliate him in public? I'd hate to think that was the case

Nah I don't buy that he set out to humiliate him.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Monday, September 3, 2012, 12:06:02 »

Who will Di Canio take advice from?

Not that he would, but Roberto Mancini might be someone he'd listen to for a chat....Played for and managed Lazio, and jhas been known to have the odd truculent player....Mancini's favoured method is allegedly to fight them.
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Monday, September 3, 2012, 12:26:05 »

There's speaking the truth and there's having a self-indulgent tantrum. It was toe-curlingly embarrassing, grossly unprofessional and has almost certainly (again) cost the club hundreds of thousands in trashing the value of one of our most valuable playing assets.

And for anyone who missed it, it's being repeatedly replayed on SSN who are calling it another classic Di Canio rant and revelling in the latest 'Di Canio and player fallout'. 

The next clip shown was Di Canio being substitued and reacting in an extremely similar manner to Wes to which the comment 'maybe he needs to practice what he preaches' was made by one of the presenters. 
STFC4LIFE
Fence Fucker

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Monday, September 3, 2012, 12:35:14 »

Good to see he trained today as normal.
luckyluke699

5 league goals and counting...

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Monday, September 3, 2012, 12:36:11 »

And for anyone who missed it, it's being repeatedly replayed on SSN who are calling it another classic Di Canio rant and revelling in the latest 'Di Canio and player fallout'. 

The next clip shown was Di Canio being substitued and reacting in an extremely similar manner to Wes to which the comment 'maybe he needs to practice what he preaches' was made by one of the presenters. 

A couple of helpful youtube links (god bless the internet!)...

Mainly on Paolo's interview:                
The match stuff (shaky camerawork):  

thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Monday, September 3, 2012, 12:40:06 »

I do kind of feel a bit for Wes on this front though. It's about as humilating as it gets for a keeper to be subbed early like that. However that doesn't excuse his reaction when coming off as mentioned above.

But a goalkeeper is not above being dropped if he makes a mistake (or series of).
Only Me

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Monday, September 3, 2012, 12:42:24 »

Nah I don't buy that he set out to humiliate him.

Maybe he didn't have a choice but to play Wes (instead of a youngster) and gave Wes a chance after rollicking him then saw no improvement in Wes's attitude / play so thought fk it, you are off.

All my assumptions I must add.
kerry red

« Reply #57 on: Monday, September 3, 2012, 12:42:49 »

But he wasn't dropped was he - he was subbed
Langers

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Monday, September 3, 2012, 12:45:05 »

So in different ways, they're both to blame for the fuckfest the club is now embroiled in.  Until both parties recognise this - and both parties apologise for their part in it - we'll get a Mexican stand off, nothing will get resolved, and Wes will be gone.  Just like Caddis.

We've seen this before.  Unless someone gets them in a room - and Jeremy Wray is probably the only person who can do that - bangs some heads together and gets a genuine apology from both sides, then I'm not optimistic.

And one final thing.  Who benefits from all of this being trailed on live radio?

The players?  No.
The manager?  No.  (Media thinks he's a figure of fun at the moment.)
The fans?  No.  (One thing we all seem to be united on is that these conversations would be so much more productive and motivational if they happened in private.)
The club?  No.

I'm struggling here.  Actually, no I'm not.

The opposition?  Yes.
Any of our regular detractors (Oxford etc.) or anyone who fancies having a pop at STFC?  Yes.

If there is one lesson learned from this, please let it be that PDC should not have sole discretion about what gets said to the media.  He needs support and advice in this area.

Spot on as usual, Ardiles.
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Monday, September 3, 2012, 12:47:19 »

But a goalkeeper is not above being dropped if he makes a mistake (or series of).

Not disputing that at all. However it isn't the same as subbing an outfield player, Keepers do get a bit more leeway in terms of getting subbed in a game. All good keepers have the odd howler, but in the 19-odd years I've been watching football very rarely do top keepers get brought off because of it.

Basically I'm not saying it wasn't within Paolo's rights to make the change, but I can understand why Foderingham would have been annoyed, embarrassed, etc for it to happen.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: