Pages: 1 ... 417 418 419 [420] 421 422 423 ... 444   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (currently serving 2021-22)  (Read 1626130 times)
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #6285 on: Monday, May 23, 2022, 19:23:30 »

Other than Payne, I am honestly not bothered about any of the old LP players.

Baudry - stepped up in the last 6 week weeks but injury prone
Conroy - Good on his day, but not captain material and replaceable
Hunt - consistent, but the way we play requires attacking full backs
Lyden - good player but too injury prone

Shrivvy Road

« Reply #6286 on: Monday, May 23, 2022, 19:31:16 »

I’m talking contracts from the LP era that are higher than the “new” era.

For me all about the quality we bring in to replace the experience outgoing.
Not convinced a team of kids is the solution but all about what unfolds and hope it all comes together.

My concern is whether we are competing with “smaller” clubs in our division.
We should be, however all about quality and strength in depth that has been lacking.
Ah got ya, yes know what you mean. Part of me is glad we are getting rid of a few of the old guard as such. Like you say, what we add to it is key
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #6287 on: Monday, May 23, 2022, 21:08:03 »

...I feel he will go abroad to a top flight club in Belgium, Holland or such like where hes playing at a better level...

I reckon he may end up at somewhere like Emmen or Go Ahead Eagles

Possible he "does a Knoyle" though and goes to somewhere like Sutton or Salford, claiming it's an ambitious move to a bigger club....really it'll just be that he'll be closer to two large international airports - handy when departing for International duty ey Wink

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #6288 on: Monday, May 23, 2022, 21:22:12 »

Other than Payne, I am honestly not bothered about any of the old LP players.

Baudry - stepped up in the last 6 week weeks but injury prone
Conroy - Good on his day, but not captain material and replaceable
Hunt - consistent, but the way we play requires attacking full backs
Lyden - good player but too injury prone

This.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #6289 on: Monday, May 23, 2022, 22:17:52 »

I’m talking contracts from the LP era that are higher than the “new” era.

Right I’m really confused now. So you’re now saying we aren’t going to able the same level of contract we did under Power? Wasn’t the main criticism of Power that we didn’t offer decent contracts, didn’t spend money and overly relied on loan players. If you’re saying we are now going to be operating below the level Lee Power had us operating then Clem best have his exit strategy planned as fans will turn on him quicker than you can say ‘disgruntled’.

Next season is a big season for Clem, any perceived reduction in squad quality or lack of an obvious increase of squad strength/spending is going to result in questions being asked and rightly so due to the embargo this season. He must know this so I’d like to think he would be short sighted enough to undo all the goodwill that has been restored towards the backend of this season.

How much of what you are saying is based on factual stuff you’ve heard and how much is just based on Conroy not being offered a new deal?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #6290 on: Monday, May 23, 2022, 22:27:16 »

I assume the point is we offered the big contracts and were able to pay them via loans from Lee Power*

*Standing / Barry you know blah blah the rest
ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #6291 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2022, 05:39:20 »

While DOB's statement can seem kind of worrying in isolation....being completely honest I feel it's the complete opposite and sensible management instead. It applies to players brought in pre Summer 2021, of which:
-Payne - well know Lincoln were covering a proportion of his wages still, based upon an original top end L1 deal. It was always unlikely we'd be able to then cover his full wage expectations in full.
-Conroy - signed his original deal when we were trying to fend off L1 interest, it's clear from recruitment Garner would prefer different CBs, not worth retaining on similar wages.
-Lyden - crocked
-Hunt - Key player under Wellens but as doesn't directly fit Garners style, justifies a squad player wage now.
-Baudry - Justifies a squad player wage now, despite his Indian summer.

The only one who'd justify the same wages would be Payne, but we already know that is unlikely for all non-moneybags clubs in League Two
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #6292 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2022, 06:32:26 »

It's the old question of small squad with more expensive proven players or larger squad with fewer.

Desperately struggled with numbers this so do expect more this time around.

It's an educated guess that the budget will go up, but with Salford, Stockport and possibly Wrexham in the league we won't be competing financially with these so called smaller clubs but will be top 6.   
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6293 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2022, 07:33:44 »

I guess every club has a wage structure. Based on the above we are leveling ours. We've no idea if that's to L2 average, or above, or below

As DRS says, we'll have to see what the replacements are before judging.

as ever it's going to be a few weeks before we see. Will players accept new offers, will we get kids or men in to the core of the team, etc
Hyabb17

Ignore
« Reply #6294 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2022, 07:43:56 »

The thing with the wage bill being reduced (or rumoured to be) is that the club have asked the fans to back it. They want 6000 season ticket holders, crowds of 10,000+. If they club do not show the right ambition then how can you expect fans to put in their hard cash. I understand living within your means but after the season we've had, money coming in over what was expected (IMO) it could backfire drastically.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #6295 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2022, 08:05:35 »

There will be plenty of decent players available this season as Clubs look to recover from Covid cost impact and through expiring longer term deals.

No issue with the players leaving the club whatsoever but not replacing experience could cost us.
Low cost, kids on loan if in isolation is a risky business.
I will judge on intent but I am sceptical and nothing will change my view until I see the intent. Can only hope we are not reducing the budget this season and we nail some of the transfer targets.
After all we are a big club in this awful division.
If we are not competing with clubs that bring in half of our attendances then questions need to be asked, even more so who ultimately is making the decisions at the very top.

TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #6296 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2022, 08:06:31 »

The thing with the wage bill being reduced (or rumoured to be) is that the club have asked the fans to back it. They want 6000 season ticket holders, crowds of 10,000+. If they club do not show the right ambition then how can you expect fans to put in their hard cash. I understand living within your means but after the season we've had, money coming in over what was expected (IMO) it could backfire drastically.

This spot on.
Miles Mayhem

Ignore
« Reply #6297 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2022, 08:41:46 »

One positive is that we have a settled management team that have an established style of playing. They should be able to identify the types of players required now to play Bens tactics. The fan base are no longer complaining about slow sideways passing or Ben is out of his depth. I think next season could be massive for us and autos should be the target. I hope the budget is in line with that and Clem pushes on from this season.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #6298 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2022, 09:06:31 »

The fan base are no longer complaining about slow sideways passing or Ben is out of his depth.

Because we actually played with a decent tempo during the run in. I'm hoping he doesn't reset back to default in the summer.
Hyabb17

Ignore
« Reply #6299 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2022, 09:25:17 »

Because we actually played with a decent tempo during the run in. I'm hoping he doesn't reset back to default in the summer.

100% this.
Pages: 1 ... 417 418 419 [420] 421 422 423 ... 444   Go Up
Print
Jump to: