Pages: 1 ... 331 332 333 [334] 335 336 337 ... 444   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (currently serving 2021-22)  (Read 1626756 times)
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #4995 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 08:49:09 »

Last night's team was the first time I felt we had a terrible team on paper (not just on the pitch).

For much of the season, I felt we've had the players to get results, but not the management capable of getting a tune out of them.

Until the management (ownership and coaching staff) is sorted then who the players are is irrelevant
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 08:54:51 by Boeta » Logged
Panda Paws

« Reply #4996 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 09:01:53 »

Talking of ‘injuries’ what’s the deal with Odimayo?

Travelled with the squad yesterday and then didn't feature, which seems yet another weird decision.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #4997 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 09:37:33 »

I hope we sign Camp on a longer deal with Wollacott or similar as backup.

Whichever division we are in hes going to be in for a busy season and he has shown he is capable of stopping most things thrown at him when the defence opens like the Red Sea in front of him.

Up to 2 games ago I thought we had some decent players at the club, but whether its incompetant tactics, motivation or just plain effort the number of players that I consider good enough has eroded considerably.

The management must take the bulk of the blame for team selection and tactics but these players must take a long hard look at themselves and decide that even if we want (or can afford) them next season if they want to be part of the club because on that evidence most obviously don't want to be here.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
jevs

Ignore
« Reply #4998 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 09:49:23 »

Last night's team was the first time I felt we had a terrible team on paper (not just on the pitch).

For much of the season, I felt we've had the players to get results, but not the management capable of getting a tune out of them.

Until the management (ownership and coaching staff) is sorted then who the players are is irrelevant

I admire some posters optimism, but I agree with the first sentence. Better management may have made this team less awful, and we may have picked up more points but this is a dire squad with an awful defence, ineffective midfield utterly lacking in creativity, and woeful options up front. Being honest, in the most part we have the players we do as no one else wants them, if they did, they'd have been sold like Freeman and Jaiyesimi.

Camp and Grant are capable but at the tail end of long careers, Brett, Brett, Brett, Brett Pitman, Brett Pitman hasn't got to double figures in goals scored since 18/19 (plus that is ALL he does) and has the mobility of an iceberg. Conroy may have the ability, but is injured more than he's available, see also Lyden and Baudrieu; we definitely cannot afford this type of player as they mean you need a bigger squad and lower quality overall. J Grant's barely got a game even with our lack of strikers. I'm going to shut up, I'm depressing myself.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 09:51:15 by jevs » Logged
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #4999 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 09:53:34 »

Whichever division we are in hes going to be in for a busy season and he has shown he is capable of stopping most things thrown at him when the defence opens like the Red Sea in front of him.

Up to 2 games ago I thought we had some decent players at the club, but whether its incompetant tactics, motivation or just plain effort the number of players that I consider good enough has eroded considerably.

The management must take the bulk of the blame for team selection and tactics but these players must take a long hard look at themselves and decide that even if we want (or can afford) them next season if they want to be part of the club because on that evidence most obviously don't want to be here.
I'd imagine most are just going through the motions now and just looking forward to getting out in the summer, must be embarrassing to be a part of the club at the moment with all the off field crap. Doubt its escaped any of their radars that even if we did enough to stay up there's a strong possibility it wouldn't be enough so even if it is just subconsciously I doubt they are all at 100% effort.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #5000 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 10:03:25 »

I put a lot of it down to mentality.
They haven’t got the balls for a scrap. They aren’t interested and know they’ll live to fight another day, even if the club doesn’t.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #5001 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 10:03:55 »

Same thing happened under Wilson.
Decent players, poor mentality
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #5002 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 10:03:58 »

In this respect, we really need the FA probe and sanctions to move quickly. Given that Power is having trouble funding costs until the end of this season, you'd have to think he's either actively involved in trying to sell the club, or holding out to cash in on a couple of players for one last payday to staunch his losses.

If we go into the summer without a change in ownership and a potential points penalty, then next year's campaign's going to make this one look like the Champions League.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #5003 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 10:07:03 »

In this respect, we really need the FA probe and sanctions to move quickly. Given that Power is having trouble funding costs until the end of this season, you'd have to think he's either actively involved in trying to sell the club, or holding out to cash in on a couple of players for one last payday to staunch his losses.

If we go into the summer without a change in ownership and a potential points penalty, then next year's campaign's going to make this one look like the Champions League.
There's also the question of when wages start becoming an issue or he just stops paying people.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #5004 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 10:11:58 »

Indeed, wins do breed confidence and visa versa. I just think several don't have the bottle for a relegation fight, at least consistantly.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Crackity Jones

« Reply #5005 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 10:16:30 »

It's difficult to judge the squad in the current environment. Looking at it from the perspective of an employee of a business:

They are employed by a company with a radio silent owner that is under investigation by the relevant authorities.

The owner has failed to acknowledge or address the incompetence of one of his direct reports; their manager.

They are working for a manager who is putting them in roles that they don't have the necessary skills for. They are not being effectively trained in those roles.

Their manager doesnt treat all his employees the same. He appears to instill a blame culture for some and not others.

I could go on and on but it's not surprising the squad are not performing.  
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #5006 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 10:18:24 »

I was saying this the other day although that team would absolutely hammer this one i think
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #5007 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 10:22:00 »

It's difficult to judge the squad in the current environment. Looking at it from the perspective of an employee of a business:

They are employed by a company with a radio silent owner that is under investigation by the relevant authorities.

The owner has failed to acknowledge or address the incompetence of one of his direct reports; their manager.

They are working for a manager who is putting them in roles that they don't have the necessary skills for. They are not being effectively trained in those roles.

Their manager doesnt treat all his employees the same. He appears to instill a blame culture for some and not others.

I could go on and on but it's not surprising the squad are not performing.  

I'm in this boat as well to be honest. The working conditions are just not up to anything like an acceptable standard. I'm amazed half the players can even be arsed to play at the moment. I am sure nearly all of them are counting down to their contracts being up so they can get a contract at somewhere functioning remotely like a football club.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 10:27:22 by Bob's Orange » Logged

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
jevs

Ignore
« Reply #5008 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 10:24:00 »

I was saying this the other day although that team would absolutely hammer this one i think

Doesn't look that decent looking back, especially once you take Austin out. What that season does prove is how much more popular a CE/owner is if they communicate, even when they're crap. Broadly speaking I'd say that Fitton is looked on positively by Town fans despite that season's unnecessary relegation, selling and not replacing Austin, and appointing both Malpas and Hart

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Squad.asp?Current=YES&Season=2010-2011
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #5009 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 10:31:09 »

I’d take Lucas or Smith - Amankwaah, Cuthert, Flint, Kennedy over every defence we’ve put out this season.
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 333 [334] 335 336 337 ... 444   Go Up
Print
Jump to: