Pages: 1 ... 333 334 335 [336] 337 338 339 ... 444   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (currently serving 2021-22)  (Read 1620886 times)
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #5025 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 11:44:30 »

No chance is he capable of doing a decent job in league two.
He is finished and has been a poor signing.
Compounded by comparing him to Yates a few games back, the gulf in class frightening.
A few non league players would do a far better job stepping up a level in my opinion.
Would be one player I would peddle at the end of this season, offers nothing.

I'm not sure what he would be like with a partner alongside him, at times he looks like he has goals in him but he needs to be fit and lose weight, I think it would depend what sort of wage he commands, if he is one of the higher earners then I'd bin him, if he was middle of the road then maybe give him a go in L2 where he has to fight for his place in the team.
Flashheart

« Reply #5026 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 11:54:37 »

No chance is he capable of doing a decent job in league two.
He is finished and has been a poor signing.
Compounded by comparing him to Yates a few games back, the gulf in class frightening.
A few non league players would do a far better job stepping up a level in my opinion.
Would be one player I would peddle at the end of this season, offers nothing.

I know I keep on banging on about it but I think it's a tad short-sighted to be judging players under this manager. It honestly surprises me that so many people do it. Pitman has a very good scoring record overall in the bottom 2 leagues. His age is a consideration, but other than that...
jevs

Ignore
« Reply #5027 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 12:03:18 »

I know I keep on banging on about it but I think it's a tad short-sighted to be judging players under this manager. It honestly surprises me that so many people do it. Brett, Brett, Brett, Brett Pitman, Brett Pitman has a very good scoring record overall in the bottom 2 leagues. His age is a consideration, but other than that...

For a player that immobile to be worth carrying he'd need to be scoring what 15 + a season. He's only done that once in a decade.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5028 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 12:13:46 »

What, before he loses his pace and mobility?
That's an extremely good point. I look forward to continuing to enjoy watching him well into the 2030s
Formerly Drummer Boy

Ignore
« Reply #5029 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 12:16:04 »

Average league one player in a white team with interest from championship clubs. I'll let you work that out.

soapy tit wank. Do you honestly believe Championship teams are actually actively interested or was it more of an agent doing a bit of marketing for his client?

I used to be that kid with the drum in the Nationwide and Town End - Be nice to me or I'll tell my Mum Smiley
Formerly Drummer Boy

Ignore
« Reply #5030 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 12:20:54 »

I'm not sure what he would be like with a partner alongside him, at times he looks like he has goals in him but he needs to be fit and lose weight, I think it would depend what sort of wage he commands, if he is one of the higher earners then I'd bin him, if he was middle of the road then maybe give him a go in L2 where he has to fight for his place in the team.

Does anyone remember Doyle running? He looked like a penguin running through treacle at times but with the right service, banged in a fair few. Moneyball logic here.. Pitman has started 22 league games and scored 8 with fuck all service in League One, League Two with someone who can actually cross or play the ball with half decent accuracy.. He easily stands a chance of 20+ goals IMO

I used to be that kid with the drum in the Nationwide and Town End - Be nice to me or I'll tell my Mum Smiley
jevs

Ignore
« Reply #5031 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 12:31:40 »

I know I keep on banging on about it but I think it's a tad short-sighted to be judging players under this manager. It honestly surprises me that so many people do it. Brett, Brett, Brett, Brett Pitman, Brett Pitman has a very good scoring record overall in the bottom 2 leagues. His age is a consideration, but other than that...

Not wising to be argumentative, but (some) of these players were also shit under Wellens this season, and I recall the FA Cup game under Hunt. Although Sheridan was a rank bad appointment he's soaking up everyone's blame here, and there's plenty to spread around. I don't think he was responsible for Caddis and Pitman both starting the season visibly overweight for example.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #5032 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 12:37:19 »

Does anyone remember Doyle running? He looked like a penguin running through treacle at times but with the right service, banged in a fair few. Moneyball logic here.. Brett, Brett, Brett, Brett Pitman, Brett Pitman has started 22 league games and scored 8 with fuck all service in League One, League Two with someone who can actually cross or play the ball with half decent accuracy.. He easily stands a chance of 20+ goals IMO

Doyle ran his nuts off all game, harsh to say he didn’t run much. Also he made movements to the front post frequently, which is a big reason why he scored so many. Pitman hides at the back post
Crackity Jones

« Reply #5033 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 12:39:29 »

Not wising to be argumentative, but (some) of these players were also shit under Wellens this season, and I recall the FA Cup game under Hunt. Although Sheridan was a rank bad appointment he's soaking up everyone's blame here, and there's plenty to spread around. I don't think he was responsible for Caddis and Brett, Brett, Brett, Brett Pitman, Brett Pitman both starting the season visibly overweight for example.
Brett Pitman was in the Pompey bomb squad and hadn't trained with the first team or played a run of competitive games for an age.  To expect him to hit the ground running (no pun intended) was never going to happen. I agree with a few others - he knows where the goal is if he is played to his strengths- like wellens did with Doyle.  

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #5034 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 12:53:02 »

All our debate matters not a jot - Curran is contracted for next season.  That single fact underlines the situation we find ourselves in as a club.  That needs sorting and fast, which requires someone to apply pressure to Power, and I see that as tough.  He has two very big reasons to cling on - first, he has a football club as an emotional/community Trojan Horse to get the horse grounds and housing money he needs.  Second, he can't sell right now without giving some of the money directly to Standing, who would otherwise object.  If he holds out for the Court Case, he might win and Standing would have no say in a sale.  Power gets the cash upfront and can decide to stiff Standing over the deal they have around % of proceeds.  Standing merely becomes a creditor, or Barry.

He is going nowhere.

Standing will have known his Court case would prompt FA scrutiny, so he clearly thinks it is worth it financially to stitch us and Power up anyway.

Despite Flashearts optimism, I see no good news coming before next season unless one of those two facts changes considerably.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #5035 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 12:55:40 »

Does anyone remember Doyle running? He looked like a penguin running through treacle at times but with the right service, banged in a fair few. Moneyball logic here.. Brett, Brett, Brett, Brett Pitman, Brett Pitman has started 22 league games and scored 8 with fuck all service in League One, League Two with someone who can actually cross or play the ball with half decent accuracy.. He easily stands a chance of 20+ goals IMO

Doyle could run, Pitman struggles to run.
jevs

Ignore
« Reply #5036 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 12:59:53 »

Brett Brett, Brett, Brett, Brett Pitman, Brett Pitman was in the Pompey bomb squad and hadn't trained with the first team or played a run of competitive games for an age.  To expect him to hit the ground running (no pun intended) was never going to happen. I agree with a few others - he knows where the goal is if he is played to his strengths- like wellens did with Doyle.  

No idea whose responsible, but a player has some responsibility for their own fitness & I recall Wellens saying that he might have made a mistake with Pitman. If he had some life left in him he would have gone to a club with more ambition - by the time we signed him we were scratching around for strikers after anyone worth signing had gone. Yep, he scored a few, 8 is it? Hallam Hope has also scored 6 in 20 (that was Wilki so could be bollocks!) and I doubt many want him kept.

He's a natural finisher, and should have been played as part of a 2 up front but he's not a player at this stage of his career to build your team around - and that's what you'd have to do to make a success of it. If you want a high press for example, how is that going to work? Nor is he capable of running channels, or onto a through ball, or to beat someone for pace etc etc.

I don't agree with the comparison to Doyle's movement, which was & is far, far better. I imagine (though don't have stats) that he covers far more ground, far more quickly than Pitman.
Crackity Jones

« Reply #5037 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 13:04:29 »

I don't agree with the comparison to Doyle's movement, which was & is far, far better. I imagine (though don't have stats) that he covers far more ground, far more quickly than Brett, Brett, Brett, Brett Pitman, Brett Pitman.
[/quote] I am not making any comparison with Doyle's movement. I am saying play to BPs strengths - like wellens played to Doyles strengths.  BP has never run in his entire career so we can't expect him to start now he's at the arse end of it.
jevs

Ignore
« Reply #5038 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 13:12:08 »

I don't agree with the comparison to Doyle's movement, which was & is far, far better. I imagine (though don't have stats) that he covers far more ground, far more quickly than Brett, Brett, Brett, Brett Brett, Brett, Brett, Brett Pitman, Brett Pitman, Brett Brett, Brett, Brett, Brett Pitman, Brett Pitman.
 I am not making any comparison with Doyle's movement. I am saying play to BPs strengths - like wellens played to Doyles strengths.  BP has never run in his entire career so we can't expect him to start now he's at the arse end of it.

That wasn't directed at you - I think someone made a comparison between the two earlier & for me Doyle's movement was fine, he put a shift in.

While we had/have Pitman on the pitch, I agree we should play to his strengths. My issue, such as it is, is that as he's 33 and has got over 15 goals a season once in the last decade so isn't worth basing your set up on, which would be what's needed.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #5039 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 13:51:51 »

All our debate matters not a jot - Curran is contracted for next season. 

And the season after that!
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 335 [336] 337 338 339 ... 444   Go Up
Print
Jump to: