Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 47   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Running and General Health Thread  (Read 195225 times)
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #135 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 11:28:05 »

Good luck Batch. I assume you haven't done the course before?

If not, try joining Shin Splints on a Saturday morning, they do parts of the route so you can familiarise yourself with it.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 13:03:50 by Jimmy Glass is an Alien » Logged
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #136 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 11:34:55 »

Got a new pair of runners. Made a big difference, didn't realise how knackered the old ones were. It's like running on pillows now and less Achilles/calf pain.

This is key - 18 months / 500 miles I reckon is the max.

Good luck - I might enter too
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 19:16:06 by Bewster » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #137 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 13:41:53 »

Not done any course before Jimmy. I'm having a midlife crisis Smiley unfortunately can't do shin splints, it clashes with other things.

Yes Brewster, although relatively little used my keyano 12s were probably quite old Smiley
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 13:48:20 »

Who's Brewster?   Smiley

Which do prefer batch, cycling or running?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #139 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 16:41:36 »

Running. Only do a bit of mountain biking. Roadies are too weird.

Brewster is like Bewster but autocorrect. It's not my fault he can't spell his own user name.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #140 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 17:09:15 »

Running. Only do a bit of mountain biking. Roadies are too weird.

Brewster is like Bewster but autocorrect. It's not my fault he can't spell his own user name.

Grin
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 18:24:22 »

Didn't either Bogus Dave or Red Frog do the Paris Marathon?

Whats the course like? Worth doing?

I'm looking for my next challenge!

My mate has just finished the Paris marathon and was planning to do the London one this weekend as well. But was pushed over at the start at Paris, then bardged and pushed over again at the water station. Twisted his knee, but luckily finished. Had to pull out of the London one.

Bastard French.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 22:21:01 »

Paris was fairly flat route, go past most of the main sites and have a little jaunt along the seine. The last two miles is on a never ending straight in a park though, with little crowds. There's not masses of crowds along the way, but there are bunches in certain areas, and those who do watch tend to be quite vocal - got a few "allez David" I enjoyed it, a lot. It's fucking Paris.

Be a bit wary of people handing drinks out on the side of the road. Saw one bloke grab a cup, take a drink, spit it out and turn to his mate saying "c'est champagne".

Things get better but they never get good
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Thursday, April 10, 2014, 16:45:22 »

Be a bit wary of people handing drinks out on the side of the road. Saw one bloke grab a cup, take a drink, spit it out and turn to his mate saying "c'est champagne".

Brilliant!  How French.

Three days from my second London Marathon, and I'm starting to get a cold.  Triffic.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Thursday, April 10, 2014, 17:44:16 »

Brilliant!  How French.

Three days from my second London Marathon, and I'm starting to get a cold.  Triffic.

Bless you....
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Thursday, April 10, 2014, 19:22:48 »

What's the secret to running?  I'm of hefty proportions (not lardy) and always find running takes it out on my lungs. Cycling,  I'm fine. Walking across the lake district for miles,  up mountains etc, I'm fine. When I was a kid I was a good middle distance runner,  or cross country. If the lungs struggle am I going too quick?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Thursday, April 10, 2014, 19:37:03 »

Yup, too much to quickly I reckon.  I am lardy, but like you used to be middle distance/cross country runner many years ago.

When I started running again I could barely manage 2 miles. But I stuck at it until I could. Then upped it to 3, then when I could, 5. Then 6.5. It was MUCH easier getting from 3->10 miles than it was from 0-3. Losing 3 stone helped.

So I'm no expert, but slow, short and frequent is much better than fast and going every now and again.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: Thursday, April 10, 2014, 19:42:57 »

Thanks batch, I probably try and run like I did as a 14 year old. I must remember that beer, fags, age and weight will have made some difference  Smiley
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: Thursday, April 10, 2014, 19:43:03 »

And try and get into a routine of the days you go out.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: Thursday, April 10, 2014, 19:55:28 »

And try and get into a routine of the days you go out.

Agree with that, routine is the key. Its very easy to look out the window and think "fuck that" because there is a cloud in the sky!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 47   Go Up
Print
Jump to: