Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 47   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Running and General Health Thread  (Read 196507 times)
fatbasher

« Reply #120 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 21:03:25 »

Had a small run down Shanklin Esplanade last night. Ships lights at anchor off shore one side and closed shops and cafes the other, well except the amusment arcades,they were open. Really refreshing, sea air, fine drizzle and the promise of a few pints and a lover supper in the Village inn in old Shanklin.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 21:06:16 »

I'm currently wearing Asics Gel Cumulus 15 which were recommended to me, they have made a slight difference, but nothing major.
Cheers for the replys thought chaps, I will have a bit of a stretch before I go out tomorrow and see if that helps.

I'd also recommend the sis rego powder shake. Mix with half milk and water. Helps your body recover quicker from your run.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 21:07:56 »

If you're not doing 90mins+ of cardio those recovery drinks are pointless. You'll be pissing money away, quite literally.
WR5

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 21:15:21 »

I'm currently wearing Asics Gel Cumulus 15 which were recommended to me, they have made a slight difference, but nothing major.
Cheers for the replys thought chaps, I will have a bit of a stretch before I go out tomorrow and see if that helps.

There is a school of thought that says don't stretch before a run as your muscles are cold, just go out for the first mile really slowly. However after run/cycle/whatever. Stretching is good also have half an hour with the injured area raised and icepacked, it works wonders ( RICE )
After long runs I also put some compression tights on for a hour or two  :gay:

Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 21:23:36 »

If you're not doing 90mins+ of cardio those recovery drinks are pointless. You'll be pissing money away, quite literally.

I'd disagree. I tend to go out running every other day for approx 40 to 50 mins at around 6 miles currently and it does help.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 21:32:26 »

Does anyone have a recommendation for an energy gel or something to give me a boost over the last couple of miles of my half-marathon in 10 days' time?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 21:33:57 »

I'm sorry, but for that level of exercise there's nothing more needed than a glass or two of water and a decent meal.

You won't have depleted your natural glucose/glycogen reserves sufficiently to warrant the carb intake the powder provides. Your muscles won't have gone into glycogen depletion, therefore minimal muscle will have been damaged and you don't need the protein provided in the 'recovery' drink either.

Edit: in reply to Sippo, not Red Frog.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 21:46:55 »

I used to just drink water, but it was recommended to me and it helps my body recover. I am looking at adding biking when I don't run on a day so that will help as well.

Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 23:22:43 »

I'd disagree. I tend to go out running every other day for approx 40 to 50 mins at around 6 miles currently and it does help.

I'd agree with Sippo that if you are exercising every day or every other day then you need something to replace lost electrolytes. If you are only doing one or two bits a week then normal eating would replace nutrients after a few days.

Red Frog - look at torque gels or SIS

WRS - compression socks/tights are hugely beneficial if exercising regularly. They helped me massively with tight calf muscles and helped me recover quicker.

I always have a small stretch before running, or do some gentle pilates exercises to ensure the running muscles are working. ok.

I also use kinesio tape on muscles that cause me grief.
« Last Edit: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 23:26:47 by Bewster » Logged
Essexred

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Friday, February 21, 2014, 17:06:26 »

I just bought a pair of Asics Nimbus 15 which were recommended to me after gait analysis. After my first run I had a sore achilles and slight soreness in my calf, which I tore in the summer. However, no problems today- I'm sure it's just about getting used to a new pair of runners. As others have said, stretching is essential after running, a lesson I have only learnt late in life. I try to walk before and after for 5 minutes or so to warm up and down as well.
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #130 on: Friday, February 28, 2014, 14:44:23 »

Anyone running the Reading Half this weekend and want to car share?
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Friday, February 28, 2014, 15:20:58 »

You'll probably break the record doing it that way
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #132 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 11:10:11 »

Didn't either Bogus Dave or Red Frog do the Paris Marathon?

Whats the course like? Worth doing?

I'm looking for my next challenge!
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #133 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 11:16:06 »

Bogus Dave
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #134 on: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 11:17:18 »

I've entered the Swindon  half. Aim is to do it in under 2 hours. That's 9.09 miles average but it's a hilly course.

Currently can do 10 miles at 9.25 ish on relatively flat run. But I have until October to improve.

Got a new pair of runners. Made a big difference, didn't realise how knackered the old ones were. It's like running on pillows now and less Achilles/calf pain.

Intervals today. But at least they are better than hills.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 47   Go Up
Print
Jump to: