Pages: 1 ... 2359 2360 2361 [2362] 2363 2364 2365 ... 2655   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5046690 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #35415 on: Monday, September 13, 2021, 08:30:16 »

I somehow, without being asked, became the appointed fixer of computers of the house years ago. (I'm far from an expert and have never claimed to be)

Then I get moaned at for saying I can't fix a BSOD.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #35416 on: Monday, September 13, 2021, 09:30:26 »

Such a great way to piss people off on a monday morning.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-58543603

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #35417 on: Monday, September 13, 2021, 09:38:31 »

Reminded me of this...

AMayesIng

Ignore
« Reply #35418 on: Monday, September 13, 2021, 16:08:09 »

Mixed views on this. On the one hand; they aren't going to make many friends. OTOH; they are all over the news, so maybe the tactics are spot on. Reckon we should sit down on the Magic Rdbt next time we need a protest about owners (hope it never happens of course!). Also 'Insulation' seems a fairly obscure subject to get worked up about enough to get arrested.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #35419 on: Monday, September 13, 2021, 16:21:18 »

Mixed views on this. On the one hand; they aren't going to make many friends. OTOH; they are all over the news, so maybe the tactics are spot on.

Exactly.

Also 'Insulation' seems a fairly obscure subject to get worked up about enough to get arrested.

Its a big issue in energy wastage and thus preventing climate change, in many ways its possibly the biggest change the average man in the street can make.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #35420 on: Tuesday, September 14, 2021, 08:00:56 »

Its a big issue in energy wastage and thus preventing climate change, in many ways its possibly the biggest change the average man in the street can make.
[/quote]but blocking a motorway and wasting up to four hours of commuters time isn't exactly going to help their cause.
How much pollution was caused by petrol/diesel fumes from stationary vehicles ??,  Should have got the water cannons out.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #35421 on: Tuesday, September 14, 2021, 08:11:50 »

Exactly.

Perhaps they should go and protest in the country that is the biggest polluter. We create 1% of the World's co2 emissions, 17th in the world in 2018. Aren't we aiming to be carbon neutral by 2050?
« Last Edit: Tuesday, September 14, 2021, 08:16:38 by 4D » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #35422 on: Tuesday, September 14, 2021, 08:57:34 »

On the one hand; they aren't going to make many friends. OTOH; they are all over the news, so maybe the tactics are spot on.

You barely hear a peep about it otherwise.

I don't really agree with people blocking roads etc, but it's drawing attention to a problem FAR more important. Things are starting to happen just as they were predicted to, but people would still rather moan about roads being blocked.

I moan about the press focusing on the dickheads and the weirdos because it then causes people to tar all the protestors with the same brush. But they make for better coverage because it gets people annoyed and sells papers and what not, and if it wasn't for the dicks and weirdos, XR and other similar groups would barely get any coverage at all. Perhaps if the press did spend some time coverage the overall message then the road blockers etc wouldn't have the need to get attention.

« Last Edit: Tuesday, September 14, 2021, 09:05:51 by Flashheart » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #35423 on: Tuesday, September 14, 2021, 09:04:23 »

but blocking a motorway and wasting up to four hours of commuters time isn't exactly going to help their cause.

And without wanting to single anybody out, I think this is a bollocks excuse.

One can be pissed off that roads are blocked and simultaneously acknowledge that their cause is a good one. How many people think "Well, I did agree that we need to stop global warming but changed my mind because I got to work late"?

Really?

It's weak.

Shrivvy Road

« Reply #35424 on: Tuesday, September 14, 2021, 09:46:43 »

You barely hear a peep about it otherwise.

I don't really agree with people blocking roads etc, but it's drawing attention to a problem FAR more important. Things are starting to happen just as they were predicted to, but people would still rather moan about roads being blocked.

I moan about the press focusing on the dickheads and the weirdos because it then causes people to tar all the protestors with the same brush. But they make for better coverage because it gets people annoyed and sells papers and what not, and if it wasn't for the dicks and weirdos, XR and other similar groups would barely get any coverage at all. Perhaps if the press did spend some time coverage the overall message then the road blockers etc wouldn't have the need to get attention.

There are so many other ways they can get their message across. There were people who missed cancer treatment yesterday because of their actions. yesterday. People will now concentrate on that and not the message they are making in my opinion
Flashheart

« Reply #35425 on: Tuesday, September 14, 2021, 09:49:30 »

There are so many other ways they can get their message across.

How?

In a way that actually gets attention from the press.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #35426 on: Tuesday, September 14, 2021, 10:14:44 »

And without wanting to single anybody out, I think this is a bollocks excuse.

One can be pissed off that roads are blocked and simultaneously acknowledge that their cause is a good one. How many people think "Well, I did agree that we need to stop global warming but changed my mind because I got to work late"?

Really?

It's weak.

So you can't see any case where the specific groups doing this will be branded as assholes and ignored?

That isn't the same as saying the cause is wrong/shit. That's saying they are going about it the wrong way.

To flip your argument on the head ""Well, I got to work late, so I better take these protestors seriously"?

Really?

Its equally as weak.
-------------

And to answer the inevitable "what should they do" - IMO man is doomed until the effects are more obvious, by which time its probably too late.

Thunberg did more for the cause than these knob rots. She's getting to the younger generation. Most old dogs won't learn new tricks.
Flashheart

« Reply #35427 on: Tuesday, September 14, 2021, 10:21:12 »

So you can't see any case where the specific groups doing this will be branded as assholes and ignored?

I didn't say otherwise, did I?

I'm sure that many will be branded as assholes and ignored. I'm not exactly keen on them myself. What I am addressing is the notion that it 'doesn't help the cause' which suggests that it's bad for the cause.

If they are being ignored - by people who were going to ignore them anyway - then it makes no difference to 'the cause'. In the meantime, it does get plenty of attention.

It's just an excuse by most people (not all) to carry on as they were regardless. How many people are going to suddenly start paying attention if protestors took the more 'reasonable' approach? We've been trying that since the 60s.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, September 14, 2021, 10:31:14 by Flashheart » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #35428 on: Tuesday, September 14, 2021, 10:26:27 »

And to answer the inevitable "what should they do" - IMO man is doomed until the effects are more obvious, by which time its probably too late.

And on that I agree with.

And you'll notice in my previous comments that I have pointed the finger firmly at the press. They control of the minds of the sheep, but they don't seem interested. It's probably just not profitable enough for them (and I suspect are close with rich people/companies that have a vested interest in keeping the status quo).

They'd rather focus on a bunch of hippies doing silly dances. "Ha ha, look at them idiots everybody". Never mind countries *literally* being on fire and severe hurricanes getting worse, etc.

Oh, and to add to that, you even get channel 4 broadcasting documentaries claiming it's all a hoax with barely any effort to challenge it.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, September 14, 2021, 10:30:37 by Flashheart » Logged
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #35429 on: Tuesday, September 14, 2021, 10:28:03 »

Population and 'progress' are the key problem, yet nothing will get done about it. So yes, we are fucked, just a matter of when.
Pages: 1 ... 2359 2360 2361 [2362] 2363 2364 2365 ... 2655   Go Up
Print
Jump to: