Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon's best goals ever  (Read 17387 times)
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Monday, October 18, 2021, 22:02:58 »

Ian Woan?

He scored at a belter away at Wrexham, can’t remember if it was a free kick though
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Monday, October 18, 2021, 22:04:19 »

Here is another to decipher. we scored a 40 yard freekick against someone id like to say wrexham. the ball was closer to touchline and everyone was expecting a swinging cross to everyone waiting on the far side of the box. Instead the player went straight to the near post.

Thats all the info i remember! Was quite an old player.  Hmmm i keep wanting to say the name paul but just can't think who it was!

EDIT* 40 yards swindon town google search. PAUL EVANS! that was a screamer

That's the badger.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Monday, October 18, 2021, 22:05:45 »

Ahh, ignore my post.

That was the goal I was thinking of as well
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Monday, October 18, 2021, 22:13:56 »

Ian Woan?

He scored at a belter away at Wrexham, can’t remember if it was a free kick though

I remember ian woan scoring direct from a corner. wonderful player
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 10:30:50 »

Didn't Jan the Man score a tasty impossible angle goal from a free kick against Mick McCarthys Millwall?

I seem to remember him having a dead ball at the Stratton Bank end, out towards the Arkell's, very close to the goal line. he knocked it across and it beat the keeper, defenders and advancing attackers into the goal.

McCarthy was very magnanimous (NOT!) after the game claiming it was a fluke as opposed to Norwegian Air Force Magic.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #95 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 10:32:29 »

Didn't Jan the Man score a tasty impossible angle goal from a free kick against Mick McCarthys Millwall?

I seem to remember him having a dead ball at the Stratton Bank end, out towards the Arkell's, very close to the goal line. he knocked it across and it beat the keeper, defenders and advancing attackers into the goal.

McCarthy was very magnanimous (NOT!) after the game claiming it was a fluke as opposed to Norwegian Air Force Magic.

That goal is in the you tube compilation on the 1st page, it was the corner of the box but not a free kick, McCarthy said if Jan had meant it then he would bare his backside in a shop window.

He did mean it and MM did not bare his backside....

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 10:33:17 »

Ignore my last- not a free kick but a cracking strike after a Paul Bodin free kick.

The ball was close to the corner for the 16 yard box when he hit it.

Around 19:25 on the video-

Quote from Mr Magnanimous-
Millwall manager Mick McCarthy to state that he would "bare his arse in Burton's shop window" if Fjortoft had meant it.

Edit- Cross post with Mr Venkman.....

I would chant for McCarthy to show us his arse but I would probably loose my lunch.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 10:37:04 by fuzzy » Logged
Lardy Cake

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 10:41:05 »

Two more nominations for STFC.co.uk from me for Part 3. As a Midlands based fan during the eighties I was privileged to witness Colin Calderwood's goal during a 3-2 win away at Notts County - April 1987. From about the centre of the halfway line he chipped the ball over the County defenders ran on to it and whacked it in the net. A superb piece of individual skill from the Fridge. As Summerof 69 says I don't think there is any footage due to TV rights agreements ? Bobby Barnes equaliser away at Birmingham - January 1988 also features another sublime piece of individual skill.The pass that sets him up was also top drawer, I think it was from Kammy. Fortunately there is some footage of this one. Happy days !

"Still to find and still to follow. Joy in every hill and hollow. Company in solitude".
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #98 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 11:22:36 »

Two more nominations for STFC.co.uk from me for Part 3. As a Midlands based fan during the eighties I was privileged to witness Colin Calderwood's goal during a 3-2 win away at Notts County - April 1987. From about the centre of the halfway line he chipped the ball over the County defenders ran on to it and whacked it in the net. A superb piece of individual skill from the Fridge. As Summerof 69 says I don't think there is any footage due to TV rights agreements ? Bobby Barnes equaliser away at Birmingham - January 1988 also features another sublime piece of individual skill.The pass that sets him up was also top drawer, I think it was from Kammy. Fortunately there is some footage of this one. Happy days !
I do remember Calderwood doing a chip and run goal but I thought it was in a home game, the ball came out to him about 40 yards or so out and he chipped the ball forward over the defence who rushed out to play the offside trap and Colin got to his own chip and rifled in under the keeper from just inside the box.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 11:44:30 »

I do remember Calderwood doing a chip and run goal but I thought it was in a home game, the ball came out to him about 40 yards or so out and he chipped the ball forward over the defence who rushed out to play the offside trap and Colin got to his own chip and rifled in under the keeper from just inside the box.
I think you are both right. He definitely scored the one as described at Notts County but I seem to recall him trying it again on a few occasions and scoring at least once.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 15:37:04 »

That's the badger.

Paul Ince's debut game.

I recall a shout of "go on son, make a name for yourself" from Kinky Tom as Ince came on as a second half sub.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 16:03:03 »

Even now I still find it somewhat surreal that Hoddle played for us whilst he was still a decent player (as opposed to just playing a few extra games in the twilight of his career). I can't see anything like that ever happening again, could you imagine Beckham or Gerrard coming here or any lower division club?

Gerrard and Lampard badly wanted to be managers and I could have seen both of them be player-managers in the championship first but they had the option of making good money in America before taking managerial roles, that wasn't really there in the early 90s.

They kind of spent their final decent years in the US and by 2018 the player manager opportunity had passed.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 16:12:41 »

Gerrard and Lampard badly wanted to be managers and I could have seen both of them be player-managers in the championship first but they had the option of making good money in America before taking managerial roles, that wasn't really there in the early 90s.

They kind of spent their final decent years in the US and by 2018 the player manager opportunity had passed.

Not just America now. China, India and the like too.

Plus, so many more back room roles now (probably with better job security than being the actual manager) and not to mention pundit roles aplenty all over the world which probably pay better than managers at the lower levels too.

Also, no idea what (if any) qualifications you needed to be a manager in the 90s compared with now.

Not really the debate we are having - but I put the above (not solely but partially) down as to why there  are still so few black managers.
So many different post football career options these days for ex players.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 16:16:19 »

I think the USA route is getting close to being closed off now.  Most teams are looking to South America/Mexico for their Designated Players, getting in younger talent and paying for it, with a view to resale to Europe/Asia.  Almiron being a prime example from Atlanta.

Think Rooney will probably be one of the last, and Higuain to Inter Miami as they needed some instant name recognition to boost their arrival.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 17:01:48 »

Paul Ince's debut game.

I recall a shout of "go on son, make a name for yourself" from Kinky Tom as Ince came on as a second half sub.

Close, he had a shot from about 20 yards that was just wide, I exclaimed that he could have made a name for himself had he scored it.

I still think it one of my proudest moments, well, ever.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: