Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: County Ground redevelopment  (Read 19578 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 10:44:29 »

Interesting to see that Donny Rovers are averaging 10k in the Championship. Worth remembering they were non-league not that long ago playing in front of crowds of less than 2k.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
flammableBen

« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 10:45:29 »

If there was a problem with adding height to the stratton bank, couldn't they just lower the pitch instead? You could add a tier onto all the grounds then.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 11:46:35 by flammableBen » Logged
ahounsell

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 10:50:21 »

Are the trust plans still knocking about somewhere?

They are still knocking about on our web site

http://www.truststfc.co.uk/CG_main.php

Things have oviously moved on a bit since then, but the basic premise that you make intelligent use of what is already present at the CG to keep costs and disruption to a minimum is perfectly sound in my view.

A lot depends on finances of course. The Trust proposals were intended to be self financing in a similar way to how Orient financed the rebuilding of three sides of Brisbane Road. That was pre credit crunch though so not so simple right now.

Our new owners do have plenty of money themselves though, so they could finance it from their own resources either entirely or in part.
grubby

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 11:13:06 »

I haven't read it anywhere but I wonder if we will have to leave and play elsewhere while the CG is being redeveloped? Or we will just close 1 stand at a time and keep the others open?
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 11:22:04 »

I haven't read it anywhere but I wonder if we will have to leave and play elsewhere while the CG is being redeveloped? Or we will just close 1 stand at a time and keep the others open?

Fitton said the work would be gradual and would enable us to keep playing at the CG.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 11:28:06 »

Things have oviously moved on a bit since then, but the basic premise that you make intelligent use of what is already present at the CG to keep costs and disruption to a minimum is perfectly sound in my view.
I think that's the way most fans want it done. If we were able to keep the DRS and Arkells open throughout the work we'd keep a capacity of 11,000 even with the work going on. Obviously the practicalities of this would depend on what the plans were for the existing stands.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #66 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 11:54:15 »

Interesting to see that Donny Rovers are averaging 10k in the Championship. Worth remembering they were non-league not that long ago playing in front of crowds of less than 2k.
and when they went out of the league their gates were sub 1,000. Doncaster deserve respect, they play good football and don't spend above their means. Good management on and off the pitch.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 11:59:03 »

There was an article in one of the papers over the weekend, saying that if they overspend the directors put their own hands in their pockets to cover the deficit.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 12:13:20 »

The Arkells is a relic and needs to be replaced. I'd imagine the only stand to survive would the DRS. They start by taking down the town end, and rebuild that whilst continuing to play, moving it back into the car park and being the new hub for corporate facilities and changing rooms etc, with a tunnel in the corner of the pitch. The idea that the stand would hold 5k. Allowing the arkells fans and functions to be rehoused while play continues, allowing that to be done next. Followed by the Stratton and then anything they need to do to the DRS, in term of filling in corners etc.
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 12:29:38 »

I've long said that sustainment in the Championship alongside a well planned and executed ground redevelopment are the height of my ambitions as a fan. In my view, this is a well timed release of information from the board, whether deliberately or by accident on the back of the announcement in support of the Bristol 2018 plan; we're doing well off the pitch and we're (currently) doing OK on the pitch. Publicity like this can only be positive for the club.

Now, specifically, so long as any ground redevelopments meet the following three objectives, I and I'm sure many other fans, will be more than satisfied.

1. Redevelopment MUST take place on the existing County Ground footprint and NOT a new out of town development.
2. Redevelopment, if that is the chosen option, should take into consideration input from supporters groups (e.g. Trust, official supporters club) with regards to the facilities required inside and outside of the ground. The ground needs to be CAPABLE of generating atmosphere. Its then up to us, as fans, to generate that atmosphere.
3. Non matchday revenue streams are maximised as much as possible that benefit the club and Swindon as a whole.

Achieve those three objectives and I'll be a happy camper.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #70 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 12:52:19 »

Dave's right about the Stratton Bank, it was a money issue.

As this news progresses I expect to see loads and loads of posts about safe standing which unfortunately I don't think will happen. Imagine the publicity it would generate if we could get it though - first stadium in England to have it and it would be a sure fire way to get the vocal fans all in one place.

Sadly my dreams for a safe standing kop end are just that and to put things into perspective, it doesn't sound like any formal plans have been drawn up yet anyway.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 12:55:20 »

I'd love to see the new Town End a safe standing one. Would be quality.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 15:57:20 »

Obviously corporate boxes will be incorporated into the new stands, the idea I would imagine is to purchase the cricket ground and athletics ground so that land can be used for other non matchday facilities.

I would imagine that the best way of doing it would be to rotate the ground 360 degrees but not sure that can actually be done in situ though.

Ref AGM - Fitton has said previously that he is happy for non shareholders to also attend if they so wish.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 16:01:56 »

I would imagine that the best way of doing it would be to rotate the ground 360 degrees
Erm, I'm pretty sure that would be even more pointless than rotating it 180 degrees. Unless you just want to make everyone a bit dizzy
penhill red

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 16:05:50 »

I hope we keep the floodlights, the County Ground looks like a proper football ground and would hate for it to lose all of it's character. If we could cover the bank fill in the corners and add some boxes to the DR (it was built with future boxes being installed in mind wasn't it?) i would also leave the Town End pretty much the same, maybe add more rows but keep the roof the same if possible. It keeps the noise in and raises the atmosphere pretty well.

If "Practice makes perfect" and "nobody is perfect" why bother waste time practicing when there is beer to be drank.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: