Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: County Ground redevelopment  (Read 19630 times)
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Monday, September 28, 2009, 22:14:11 »

You could easily get to 25k and keep the north and south stands, you just need to move the pitch 10-20 yards over the town end then build new stands behind the goals and fill in the corners.

A new build wouldn't mean ground sharing either, there is plenty of space to put in a new pitch and a couple of new stands before you'd have to start knocking down the current stadium. Dependent on where the new pitch is put of course.

Plus there is the problem of who we would ground share with. Bristol and Oxford won't happen as there'd likely be too much trouble. Cheltenham is too small. Reading already ground share.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 08:10:21 »

Fitton says a development plans are at an advanced stage :

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/swindontown/news/4653561.Chairman_promises_fans_Swindon_Town_stadium_plans_are_on_track/

And I know Fitton and Co. have been given a copy of the Trust plans :

http://www.truststfc.co.uk/CG_main.php

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 08:21:20 »

I'm guessing those trust ones are oldish? As they have multi colured seats in the Arkells.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 08:36:40 »

those trust ones were done in about 2006 I think.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 09:03:46 »

At least they were plans, unlike the one's in Mr Whippy's head !!!

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 09:56:49 »

If Fitton and the Board pull this off then that's fantastic work. I could see more investment on the pitch as a result too.

In the words of Paul D/The Trust, I cautiously welcome the plans.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 10:00:42 »

Jusr had a read Sie...indeed looks promising...really hope it goes through.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 10:06:50 »

Interesting that Fitton says the development would be gradual and will enable us to carry on playing at the ground, which means they'll be doing it stand by stand. He mentions a 20k capacity as well which again makes me think the north and south stand won't be touched much.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 10:09:50 »

I very much welcome the plans.

I understood that the objections about increasing the size of the Bank were no longer in place as the original complainants (which stopped the stadium increase proposals previously) had either moved out or died, I was told by someone high up at the club that it was merely the objections of 1 or 2 elderly residents that stopped the enlarging and covering of the Stratton Bank back in the 90's.

The site we are currently on can easily accept a stadium with a capacity of 30k+ if needed, there is plenty of surrounding land if they decide to move the location of the ground slightly as well as a few sides have done in the past.

Although I doubt very much that the DRS or the North stand will be relocated or extended (except the North stand possibly going cantilever as the DRS is) but I feel the expansions will be just behind the goals and possibly curving stands in the corners of the ground too.

Although I feel stands behind both goals of a similar height to the North/DRS stand would look awesome and still give the feel of an older stadium not the faceless new build feel that so many have now.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
westcountry

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 10:23:40 »

We get 6/7k most games apart from the big games, even on the big games we dont get 15k let alone 25 so i think it would make the atmosphere even worse then it has been at home recently... (apart from Saints)
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 10:27:40 »

No it wouldnt...ware heading for the championship...and every away team will bring plenty and our crowds will double...the County Ground will crackle...probably only get 8000 v Millwall but the atmosphere will be good...and in the Championship most matches will be against big clubs(ime confident aint i!)
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 10:28:03 »

Although I feel stands behind both goals of a similar height to the North/DRS stand would look awesome and still give the feel of an older stadium not the faceless new build feel that so many have now.
Couldn't agree more, although I'm not totally against the idea of corners, it just needs to be done a bit differently to the whole "bowl" approach.

We get 6/7k most games apart from the big games, even on the big games we dont get 15k let alone 25 so i think it would make the atmosphere even worse then it has been at home recently... (apart from Saints)
I think that problem can be avoided though, by keeping fans together. For example, you could avoid selling tickets in the corners, and only sell tickets from Row A to Row T or something, to avoid everybody being spread out right across the ground.
Richard4acre

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 10:35:57 »

For those who are concerned that our stadium will be empty and atmosphere-less

I think we can all safely say that this is a long term plan, and Championship football is part of said long term plan. Fitton has said completion by 2012 would be ambitious, thats 3 seasons including this one to achieve promotion.

I genuinely believe we could double our weekly gate (so 14k - 15k) off the back of a single promotion, not only would that finally bring all the stay aways home, but for those Swindonians that think our club is a bit of a joke (think demotions, relegations, administration, L2 and so on) to finally sway them round to a way of thinking that is along the lines of (1969, two play off wins at wembly and add championship football to that)!

ne day, The County Ground will be a happy place.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 10:42:35 »

Championship Average Attendances for this season so far for perusal

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/attendance?league=eng.2&seasontype=4&cc=5739

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 10:42:40 »

For those who are concerned that our stadium will be empty and atmosphere-less

Then need not worry, its already empty and atmosphere-less!

Correct me if im wrong, but I'm sure I heard somewhere that putting a roof on the bank was never about planning permission (infact I think at one point the club had planning permission) but couldnt afford to actually put the roof on?

Extending the stand upwards would be a completely different kettle of fish.

Are the trust plans still knocking about somewhere?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: