Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 31   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lets all laugh at oxford.  (Read 59433 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Friday, August 28, 2009, 16:55:36 »

Too right.  I also don't buy the 'hating Oxford is part & parcel of being a Swindon fan' argument.  Bollocks is it.  Oxford didn't even exist until the 1950s.  We were playing City, Rovers and Reading years before then.

Just read Dick Mattick's book.  (Not you, Reg.  You probably know more than he does.)  These were our real derbies.  Oxford are nothing more than interlopers who briefly popped up in to the League for 50 years and then ####ed off back to where they came from (ie non-League oblivion).  They're irrelevant now.
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Friday, August 28, 2009, 16:57:26 »

I took a kicking in the alleyways around the Manor Ground in the early eighties. My hatred of the cunts will never die
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #107 on: Friday, August 28, 2009, 17:05:33 »

I will always fucking hate the wankers too due to football violence against myself and mates in the 80's.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Friday, August 28, 2009, 19:10:12 »

I will always hate the bastards regardless of what league they are in. Maybe cos I grew up with some of their tosser fans. I cannot just forget about them.

Mainly because of the shit I got at school when we were beat 3-0 at the Manor and that prick Beauchamp scored. The next day at school was fucking shit.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Friday, August 28, 2009, 20:22:57 »

I took a kicking in the alleyways around the Manor Ground in the early eighties. My hatred of the cunts will never die

I agree and what a cunting hole of a ground that was too.

Hating Poxford is like supporting Swindon you don't just turn it on and off when you feel like it, just because they're no longer in the same league. Otherwise you might as well just close your eyes every season and stick a pin in the league one table (a la pin the tail on the donkey style) to choose your next 'rivals'.

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Friday, August 28, 2009, 20:38:00 »

Hating Poxford is like supporting Swindon you don't just turn it on and off when you feel like it...

You sort of do, though.  No one hated Oxford until the 1960s/1970s.  Our fans had no reason to...they were a new club.  The rivalry grew as we played more and more games against them.

In just the same way, I think the rivalry will die (slowly) if we fail to meet them again soon.  It's been the best part of a decade since we last met them in the League.  If we go another 10 years without meeting them, there will be hardly anyone under the age of 40 with a story to tell/reason to hate them like Ralphy's.  The kids won't care.  Hating Oxford will make about as much sense as hating Forest Green Rovers or Gloucester City.

Don't worry though...we won't have to resort to sticking pins in maps to choose our fiercest rivals.  They will choose themselves.  They will be those clubs who are (a) relatively local and (b) who we have a recent history of playing.  Simple as that.
« Last Edit: Friday, August 28, 2009, 20:41:35 by Ardiles » Logged
Hammer

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Friday, August 28, 2009, 21:46:23 »

I strongly disagree with you Ardiles. In another thread you state that you originated from outside the area and didn't start supporting Town until at least 1986. Could I suggest that you are unaware of the rivalry of the 70's. Yes, City and Reading were rivals but with Oxford there existed pure hatred. In 1979, after coming off the train from Liverpool (after a 5-0 thrashing) I was arrested on circumstantial evidence for alledgedly petrol-bombing Oxford fans a few weeks previously. Suffice it to say I was totally innocent, yet, this had also occurred on a previous occasion. Such was the level of hatred. OK we are no longer football rivals, yet, when that level of hatred is so engrained, there is no doubt it will re-emerge should circumstances allow it.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #112 on: Friday, August 28, 2009, 22:17:33 »

I strongly disagree with you Ardiles. In another thread you state that you originated from outside the area and didn't start supporting Town until at least 1986. Could I suggest that you are unaware of the rivalry of the 70's. Yes, City and Reading were rivals but with Oxford there existed pure hatred. In 1979, after coming off the train from Liverpool (after a 5-0 thrashing) I was arrested on circumstantial evidence for alledgedly petrol-bombing Oxford fans a few weeks previously. Suffice it to say I was totally innocent, yet, this had also occurred on a previous occasion. Such was the level of hatred. OK we are no longer football rivals, yet, when that level of hatred is so engrained, there is no doubt it will re-emerge should circumstances allow it.

Funny you should say about the petrol bombing, that was kept from the news. If memory serves me right this was after an evening match and petrol bombs were thrown at their train. . I was with a few friends "innocently" in the vicinity of Swindon station when I heard about it. That evening the Scummers got a serious shoing - even we got jumped by Town that evening. Not pleasant but soon corrected and apologies accepted.
I couldn't care less about pre 50 - they are complete and utter cunts. Fucking vermin that need sorting.  It is pure hatred for me and my mates. I've never had a kicking from them but I still despise the fuckers and I hope that never goes even when I'm curling up my toes.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Friday, August 28, 2009, 22:25:50 »

I have to say I am a town fan from the Bristol side of Swindon, with Oxford being about as far away from where I live as Newport (Wales). I've seen Swindon play Oxford home and away on many occasions, and I always enjoy it when we beat them, but I always see the Bristol clubs as our main rivals basically because of the region I live in. I know that geographical distance accounts for many football rivalries, but there must be something more to this. Reading is a couple of miles closer to Oxford than Swindon is, for example, but who do Oxford see as their main rivals?....us. Does anybody really know why?
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #114 on: Friday, August 28, 2009, 22:28:24 »

I lived and worked in Slave Trade Central for 10 years, my next door neighbour was a Slave Trader and even so the Scummers are my rivals. The Slave Traders and the Shirt Batterers are way, way behind the Scum despite the shit I took.
Hammer

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Friday, August 28, 2009, 22:59:10 »

Funny you should say about the petrol bombing, that was kept from the news. If memory serves me right this was after an evening match and petrol bombs were thrown at their train. . I was with a few friends "innocently" in the vicinity of Swindon station when I heard about it. That evening the Scummers got a serious shoing - even we got jumped by Town that evening. Not pleasant but soon corrected and apologies accepted.
I couldn't care less about pre 50 - they are complete and utter cunts. Fucking vermin that need sorting.  It is pure hatred for me and my mates. I've never had a kicking from them but I still despise the fuckers and I hope that never goes even when I'm curling up my toes.
   Good chap. You are quite correct - yes, it was an evening match. It was reported by the media, but didn't achieve headline status. I still have the cutting from the Adver. It actually occurred in a terraced street about half a mile from the CG. As I recall, a pint of bitter cost about 26p and petrol, about 31p per gallon...but hey ho ! Unfortunately, an old fella (Town fan) was caught up in the middle of it : strangely, he was also present at the previous incident. Such bad luck !
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Friday, August 28, 2009, 23:14:29 »

No one hated Oxford until the 1960s/1970s. 

Why should that make any difference? Before the sixties rivalries must have been different anyway. I don't think in the 1920s people were singing songs about players having VD or wanting to kick the shit out of each other.

One reason why Oxford are our main rivals is because we are each others most hated club. Obviously the Bristol clubs main rivalry is with each other.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Saturday, August 29, 2009, 01:44:12 »

Why should that make any difference? Before the sixties rivalries must have been different anyway. I don't think in the 1920s people were singing songs about players having VD or wanting to kick the shit out of each other.

One reason why Oxford are our main rivals is because we are each others most hated club. Obviously the Bristol clubs main rivalry is with each other.

Ardiles speaks good common sense..but don't let that get in the way of your prejudices.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Saturday, August 29, 2009, 01:51:05 »

I fucking hate the cunts, i grew up in south oxfordshire and it was a battleground, plus i got a kicking by six of the fuckers at the bottom of eastcott hill one year and ended up in hospital, fucking bring them on i say.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Saturday, August 29, 2009, 01:58:44 »

I fucking hate the cunts, i grew up in south oxfordshire and it was a battleground, plus i got a kicking by six of the fuckers at the bottom of eastcott hill one year and ended up in hospital, fucking bring them on i say.

All you need is love...Mex....love is all you  need.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 31   Go Up
Print
Jump to: