Pages: 1 ... 299 300 301 [302] 303 304 305 ... 340   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 'Who's snuffed it now?'  (Read 1368920 times)
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #4515 on: Thursday, March 2, 2023, 21:36:39 »

Weller was one of the most disappointing gigs I've been to. Only one Jam track. Not a fan of his later stuff.

I've seen him four times I think. Swindon Oasis twice, Gloucester in a similar sports hall type place and Brixton Academy.

Only place he did a significant number of pre solo stuff was Brixton. Did Eaton Rifles, Butterfly Collector, Town Called Malice, Shout To The Top and I think That's Entertainment as well as maybe one other.

That last Swindon gig he seemed committed to doing as little as possible. Such a big back catelog, he needs to use the full range of it.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #4516 on: Thursday, March 2, 2023, 22:52:07 »

Weller was one of the most disappointing gigs I've been to. Only one Jam track. Not a fan of his later stuff.

If you went to see Weller expecting him to do a Jam tribute act you would be disappointed. He's had a hugely influential 30 year solo career of 15 or 16 albums.Why the fuck would be play a set of songs he wrote as a teenager and in his very early twenties and released with a band he split up when I was at school?

..never go back.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #4517 on: Thursday, March 2, 2023, 22:57:38 »

If you went to see Weller expecting him to do a Jam tribute act you would be disappointed. He's had a hugely influential 30 year solo career of 15 or 16 albums.Why the fuck would be play a set of songs he wrote as a teenager and in his very early twenties and released with a band he split up when I was at school?

Yeah, you need to expect it to be mostly solo stuff, but it's a shame not to use such a long back catelog.

I was just as buzzing for The Butterfly Collector as any if the bigger hits.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #4518 on: Friday, March 3, 2023, 11:13:20 »

I've seen him four times I think. Swindon Oasis twice, Gloucester in a similar sports hall type place and Brixton Academy.

Only place he did a significant number of pre solo stuff was Brixton. Did Eaton Rifles, Butterfly Collector, Town Called Malice, Shout To The Top and I think That's Entertainment as well as maybe one other.

That last Swindon gig he seemed committed to doing as little as possible. Such a big back catelog, he needs to use the full range of it.
Yeah,was at the Brixton gig but saw him a few years later at Hyde Park where the only Jam song was That's Entertainment

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #4519 on: Friday, March 3, 2023, 11:27:50 »

Agreed.

Its all about expectations.

When i saw The Specials in Reading, i said i wouldnt go again.

They had reinvented themselves with new stuff etc....i wanted the old.

Misd off some classics to play new songs and covers.

Its not their fault and not mine....its the way it was...so i decided not to go again.

Clems Army!
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #4520 on: Friday, March 3, 2023, 11:41:09 »

Agreed.

Its all about expectations.

When i saw The Specials in Reading, i said i wouldnt go again.

They had reinvented themselves with new stuff etc....i wanted the old.

Misd off some classics to play new songs and covers.

Its not their fault and not mine....its the way it was...so i decided not to go again.

Saw The Specials when they first got back together in like 2008 or 09 or whatever it was in Brixton and was one of the best gigs I've ever been to. Crazy.

Saw them in Cardiff a few years later and was decent, but never like the first which will always be one of my most memorable gigs.

Someone might want to migrate some of these posts over to the gigs thread.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #4521 on: Friday, March 3, 2023, 12:43:21 »

Indeed...Having said that, when I first saw Weller solo in the 90's he was playing strictly solo stuff and nothing else. Over the years though I think he's mellowed a lot and is more reflective and has opened up the back catalogue somewhat and you get a fair sprinkling of Jam and Style Council tracks and in fact 'Town Called Malice' has been his go to final encore song for years now.

Anyone who wants to see Jam songs performed live by an original member of the band should go and see From The Jam with Bruce Foxton and Russell Hastings. They play 95% Jam stuff along with a little bit of their own material which is also very good (see below). I saw them a couple of times last year, one was an acoustic set and the other one was mainly them playing every track from Sound Affects.

ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #4522 on: Friday, March 3, 2023, 12:52:16 »

Indeed...Having said that, when I first saw Weller solo in the 90's he was playing strictly solo stuff and nothing else. Over the years though I think he's mellowed a lot and is more reflective and has opened up the back catalogue somewhat and you get a fair sprinkling of Jam and Style Council tracks and in fact 'Town Called Malice' has been his go to final encore song for years now.

Anyone who wants to see Jam songs performed live by an original member of the band should go and see From The Jam with Bruce Foxton and Russell Hastings. They play 95% Jam stuff along with a little bit of their own material which is also very good (see below). I saw them a couple of times last year, one was an acoustic set and the other one was mainly them playing every track from Sound Affects.

Saw them at the MECA a few years back. Class. One of the only times MECA has actually had a gig for anyone I was interested in.

Such a waste of a venue.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #4523 on: Friday, March 3, 2023, 14:02:05 »

Nothing left to say when Weller snuffs it now!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #4524 on: Friday, March 3, 2023, 14:14:09 »

Perhaps because there are still a lot of people who love his Jam era work and would love to hear it from him?
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #4525 on: Friday, March 3, 2023, 14:15:23 »

The thing that winds me up with Weller is he's such a miserable cunt with reunions and all that. Sees it as selling out, etc. Don't sit there and tell me it would be cringe to reunite as The Jam for gigs, because it wouldn't be, it would be brilliant. You could sell out stadiums just to people not even born when you split up that never got to see you.

If you don't want to do it, that's fine, but his negativity seems to have spread to his mate Noel.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #4526 on: Friday, March 3, 2023, 16:55:26 »

I think they actually could get back together at some point in some shape or form (not necessarily in some huge stadium type venue)

People change over the years, they mellow, their views change...from bits and pieces I've read it looks like Buckler could be the main stumbling block these days.

Not saying I think it will definitely happen, just...never say never.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #4527 on: Friday, March 3, 2023, 16:59:51 »

I think they actually could get back together at some point in some shape or form (not necessarily in some huge stadium type venue)

People change over the years, they mellow, their views change...from bits and pieces I've read it looks like Buckler could be the main stumbling block these days.

Not saying I think it will definitely happen, just...never say never.

What happened all those years ago did they actually fall out?

So, give no fucks
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #4528 on: Friday, March 3, 2023, 17:01:59 »

The thing that winds me up with Weller is he's such a miserable cunt with reunions and all that. Sees it as selling out, etc. Don't sit there and tell me it would be cringe to reunite as The Jam for gigs, because it wouldn't be, it would be brilliant. You could sell out stadiums just to people not even born when you split up that never got to see you.

If you don't want to do it, that's fine, but his negativity seems to have spread to his mate Noel.

Are you saying that he needs to start apologising for the things he's never done?
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #4529 on: Friday, March 3, 2023, 17:05:39 »

I used to work for Paul Weller 30 years ago, he's far from miserable. Bloke's hilarious.

He is constantly being creative and writing and releasing music and pushing himself. He's not short of a few bob so why bother doing something from 40 plus years ago? If he was just sitting around not producing new music then id get it. But he doesnt fucking stop writing and releasing stuff.

I stayed at his house a few times and i remember a few of us all pissed up talking to him about getting the jam back together one night and he swore he'd never do it. I remember walking to the shop in the morning and buying a daily mirror and reading how the jam were getting back together. fucking idiots.
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 301 [302] 303 304 305 ... 340   Go Up
Print
Jump to: