Pages: 1 ... 901 902 903 [904]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2158698 times)
TailBetweenLegs

Ignore
« Reply #13545 on: Monday, July 22, 2024, 09:35:20 »

But Trump has a whole campaign team to come up with "the message".

He will rarely be in a position where he has to think for himself on strategy. In the rallies and any one on ones he'll just lie and bluster his way through again.
I think the difference will be this time around that he will likely be up against someone who is quicker on their feet to call him out when he does these things. Last time out when Biden was healthier he did these things and it worked but this time around he has just not been able to make any valid points or even reply  to Trump.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #13546 on: Monday, July 22, 2024, 09:37:31 »

But when is he doing to have to think on his feet?

Hopefully there's a head to head. I think that's the only time it's coming into play
bathford

Ignore
« Reply #13547 on: Monday, July 22, 2024, 11:02:32 »

Trump’s team have had him on message so far. That being attack an old man confuse him and he’ll be an easy target.

Now his team will quickly have to change tac. Can they trust that he cannot think for himself, stay inline and win?

I doubt it, VP Harris will be looking to wind him up so he starts to think for himself. That’s when he will screw it up.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #13548 on: Monday, July 22, 2024, 11:32:21 »

If you listen to Trump's rhetoric, he is so sharpe that he tipped his head to avoid a bullet, so a few words won't harm him, from either an old man or a woman.  He has super powers don't you know..  Surprised he hasn't dressed up as Homelander so far the way he is talking..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #13549 on: Monday, July 22, 2024, 11:37:09 »

He took a bullet for democracy.

Downright disrespectful to the poor bastard that did actually take a bullet trying to protect his family
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #13550 on: Monday, July 22, 2024, 12:36:50 »

He took a bullet for democracy.

Downright disrespectful to the poor bastard that did actually take a bullet trying to protect his family

Surprised? Moi?

The man is a narcisistic psychopath.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #13551 on: Monday, July 22, 2024, 13:57:17 »

It will now be slightly ironic that Trump will be the oldest person ever to formally run for President of the USA, given their messaging around Biden.  I was surprised by how quickly the Democrats rallied around Harris yesterday and as this will be a vote of enthusiasm (nobody is switching sides), that may just make this a lot tighter than the Republicans thought it would be.  She appeals to the Progressive side of their party but is still relatively unknown to avoid frightening off any middle ground voters I think.
bathford

Ignore
« Reply #13552 on: Monday, July 22, 2024, 15:58:07 »

I’ve just watched VP Harris at the White House with the collegiate athletes.

Whilst she didn’t mention her candidacy, she knew damn well that this speech was going global.

She came across well, professional in her manor and respectful of the occasion. There was no campaign undertones or suggestions.

She is a confident, successful person who NATO, and the west can work with.   Trump, just because he is THE Trump wouldn’t be able to project that kind of persona. He’s brash, in your face and clearly has the attitude to go with it.

With regard to NATO and the west, he is the last thing we need.
bathford

Ignore
« Reply #13553 on: Monday, July 22, 2024, 16:18:21 »

If you look at the financial markets in the US, the believe is that Trump would initially bolster share values across the nation.

However, his victory could easily cause turmoil on the European Markets. Apart from causing problems between the US and Europe. It would also force a rethink by many leaders in Europe. If the US goes ‘rogue’ over Ukraine and its commitment to NATO. European leaders will be forced to form a closer bond with each other.

Alternative solutions to defence and procurement of equipment may see long standing agreements with US suppliers faulter. This could have a marked effect on the $, € and £ we don’t need any percentage point uncertainty affecting interest rates.

With a new Government in Downing Street, we need stability not uncertainty, as do the Eurozone.
« Last Edit: Monday, July 22, 2024, 21:48:46 by bathford » Logged
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #13554 on: Monday, July 22, 2024, 22:04:17 »

But Trump has a whole campaign team to come up with "the message".

He will rarely be in a position where he has to think for himself on strategy. In the rallies and any one on ones he'll just lie and bluster his way through again.

Will it be the classic billboard type ''message'' he has like;

''I have friends in Nebraska. Good people. Nebraska friends. Very good friends''

''I love Milwaukee. I have great friends in Milwaukee''

I mean, if that's enough to turn the heads of the American floating voter then they deserve what they {and the senate} vote for.

I did enjoy though, the billboards which actually quoted Trump, that popped up around Milwaukee as well;

''Milwaukee, where we are having our convention, is a horrible city''

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #13555 on: Monday, July 22, 2024, 22:33:36 »

It will now be slightly ironic that Trump will be the oldest person ever to formally run for President of the USA, given their messaging around Biden.  I was surprised by how quickly the Democrats rallied around Harris yesterday and as this will be a vote of enthusiasm (nobody is switching sides), that may just make this a lot tighter than the Republicans thought it would be.  She appeals to the Progressive side of their party but is still relatively unknown to avoid frightening off any middle ground voters I think.

We had a conversation about Harris a while back and I stated at the time she would be an ideal candidate to run for President and take the mantle {and Burden} from Biden. Something that I thought may have happened during Biden's term. So a VP but President in situ . It was back then that they should have been convincing Biden to step aside and let Harris be the lead candidate.

It was never really rocket science to figure out that she would be the next best thing {likely better than Biden} to take on that campaign. Especially having many things in her favour in today's world, she's a progressive black woman in short which would definitely bring her a lot of votes automatically {a bit like how Trump automatically gets votes from misogynistic bigots but in an absolutely much more wholesome and genuine type of way}.

Anyway, at the time I seem to remember you rebuffed the suggestion that she should run for presidency but I felt that she should have been the main choice all along. You gave some good reasoning {as usual} which had a stronger lean to it than now. Now it feels a smidge of revisionism has filtered in. No shame in that and it's right that our opinions can shift slightly of course from time to time.

If America actually wants to come into the Twenty First Century though, then it has to make a bold move and elect a President that actually reflects a more modern dynamic. Holding onto the coattails of a crusty, racist, misogynist bigoted criminal hamberder that is Trump will be like asking the public to revert to ''dial up'' after having used fibre {fiber} for some time.

NB: I'm not saying Harris is the ultimate answer the USA's problems but I think she would represent a political calm in what has been some pretty stormy {no pun} weather in the last two terms. It will be a start and would at least see some kind of return to a more ''normal'' political landscape. The world and within its leaders, really does need some footing towards stability right now. Politics is not entertainment and it'll never succeed with continued entertainment woven into it. Leave that to the satirists. I think many of us want leaders who take their job seriously. They are at the end of the day representing their respective nations. Much like in the UK, now has something that seems a bit closer to ''normality'' of traditional politics, rather than soundbites, gimmicks and childish guffaws. I think Harris can also bring that steadying of the ship -  some normality, professionalism and genuineness that America so greatly needs.

Hopefully, it sets up the USA for the term after this and some more genuine candidates come to the fore once Trump is finally out of the picture. If Harris does go on to win, I think she would grow into the role quite well and maybe after the first term, she might even be stronger than when she started. America needs to be ready to give her a chance. The parting question is...Is America ready to give her a chance to lead their country?

'Incessant Nonsense'

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #13556 on: Monday, July 22, 2024, 22:43:26 »

Don't mistake my commentary on the current situation as some sort of support for Harris being the Democratic nominee.  I still do not think she is the best, or even a great candidate - in fact, the short time frame probably leans into her being the best for this situation, rather than best overall.  Less time to target her.  She had some very strong performances when running for the Democratic nominee back in 2020, but was really not that strong once the initial story and campaign slogans ran stale, and she got riled in some debates, something she will have to avoid with Trump.

Both parties chose badly, the Democrats have a bit of a do over, but she is probably the only choice this close.  Start of the year, they could have gone through a proper process of vetting a group of candidates.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #13557 on: Monday, July 22, 2024, 22:58:25 »

Don't mistake my commentary on the current situation as some sort of support for Harris being the Democratic nominee.  I still do not think she is the best, or even a great candidate - in fact, the short time frame probably leans into her being the best for this situation, rather than best overall.  Less time to target her.  She had some very strong performances when running for the Democratic nominee back in 2020, but was really not that strong once the initial story and campaign slogans ran stale, and she got riled in some debates, something she will have to avoid with Trump.

Both parties chose badly, the Democrats have a bit of a do over, but she is probably the only choice this close.  Start of the year, they could have gone through a proper process of vetting a group of candidates.

Oh absolutely, I wasn't so much expecting or thinking that. It just felt that you had shifted your opinion a smidge, which appeared a little more favourable towards Harris. I completely accept your opinion {and you may well be much better placed than I to comment on the American political landscape; it's why I also asked you about the bizarre {to me} scenario of convicted criminals being allowed to stand for Presidency} that she isn't necessarily the best but might be best in this scenario.

I think in some ways, that might be where my line of thought was trying to go. Like having Harris as an ''interim'' President if you must. She can come in, steady the ship a little and then make way for an even stronger Democrat, once the Dems have chosen carefully. I stand by though, that if she were to win, she may well grow into the Presidential role.

I think we can probably all agree {well any of us with any morsel of sanity left} that an America with Trump is a weaker America. It's almost a case of anyone but him....again  Roll Eyes

'Incessant Nonsense'

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #13558 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2024, 01:10:47 »

I think Harris has more chance than my previous assessment, mostly because of the way it has come about, more than her political skill.  The Republicans should tie her in knots with the Southern Border, but they seem to have started by going after the fact she is a Black Woman (well, Indian/Black).  Not sure that is a great strategy, and has almost helped jettison her first 24 hours.  The trick with her is whether or not anything can be sustained after a few slogans run dry, she did very badly 4 years ago, and does not have a great public profile here.  That latter fact may benefit her a little, as she can try and strike a slightly different agenda than Biden would have gone for.  I still think Trump wins, but it has surprised me how likely places like Georgia become again.  She might just pull in enough people who now see a way of keeping Trump out of office, likely for the last time, who were probably staying at home with Biden.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #13559 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2024, 07:32:50 »

Lets hope she's learnt from and improved on 2020
Pages: 1 ... 901 902 903 [904]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: