Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Histon..  (Read 28233 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« on: Monday, November 3, 2008, 14:05:53 »

...coached by John Beck, of Cambridge fame.  Long ball merchants extraordinaire.  Very well organised on set plays etc, probably make Stoke look cultured.

Anyone remember when Cambridge beat us about 91/92...never seen anything like it, before or since, they had Dublin who was of course very good. The defenders pumped the ball up vertically as high as they could get it, so they could press up the space behind, occasionally a long punt found its way  in the space behind teh full backs, allowing them to squeeze up for a long throw etc.

They did play two wingers, one Lee Philpott, we were to meet again in our last fixture v Leicester, another Heaney, they had on loan from Arsenal, he scored as did Dublin, but didn't seem to do much in his career.

Hoddle seemed to take it as an insult to the game, when we played them in the cup at the Shabby Stadium a few weeks later, we beat them 3-0...it seemed to mean a lot to the players.

I wonder if MM has any real knowledge what we're in for....I note he mentioned the pitch not being too great...typical old Cambridge way.

I'm just pleased it's not on the box, if the TV people had any knowledge of teh game, they'd know that Histon start clear favourites to win this one.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, November 3, 2008, 14:15:26 »

I went away to Cambridge in 92 (?)  When Micky Hazard missed a pen and we lost one nil.  Cambridge Utd (at that time) played the worst football I have ever seen.  I'm so glad that they fell short of reaching the top flight as they were a disgrace to football.

They are the reason I take issue with the win at all costs mentality, football has to be about entertainment too, I hope we don't come a cropper on Saturday to that brand of football.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, November 3, 2008, 14:20:14 »

Stoke beating Arsenal showed though that it can work, especially if you're not too hot on defending set plays...watching Stoke atm must be Ok because it's a bit of a novelty, but it must wear thin after a while.  WBA who try and play, look to me almost certrain to go down.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, November 3, 2008, 14:21:53 »

I went away to Cambridge in 92 (?)  When Micky Hazard missed a pen and we lost one nil.  Cambridge Utd (at that time) played the worst football I have ever seen.  I'm so glad that they fell short of reaching the top flight as they were a disgrace to football.

They are the reason I take issue with the win at all costs mentality, football has to be about entertainment too, I hope we don't come a cropper on Saturday to that brand of football.

i was there. i think it was a debatle penalty as well
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #4 on: Monday, November 3, 2008, 14:40:26 »

I was at the home game and the football was dreadful but effective. If I remember correctly ( and I haven't been of late ) then our old boy Colin Baillie played for them and actually gave up the game because he couldn't stand their football. They used to put the ball out for a throw much like rugby players do.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #5 on: Monday, November 3, 2008, 14:46:57 »

Clear favourites Reg?Huh?
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, November 3, 2008, 14:49:08 »

Hadn't realised Beck was there, oh god they will be awful to watch and hard to play against, but saying that i really cant see them beating us.
spacey

« Reply #7 on: Monday, November 3, 2008, 14:57:18 »

I remember rambling around Histon back in the 60's. It was a bright rainy day, and I accidentally discovered a buried medieval village. I remember it vividly. I awoke that very morning with a sense of anticipation that made me tingle and I leapt from my bed like a cobra on a pogo stick. I had some sausages for my breakfast that I had purchased from the Lincolnshire village of Mareham-Le-Fen, which I had visited the week previously, when I discovered a perfectly preserved diplodocus............

How the fuck are they favourites?! If they win it'll be a right show up. All this 'state of the pitch' 'long ball' stuff can stab itself in the face!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, November 3, 2008, 15:03:27 »

I remember rambling around Histon back in the 60's. It was a bright rainy day, and I accidentally discovered a buried medieval village. I remember it vividly. I awoke that very morning with a sense of anticipation that made me tingle and I leapt from my bed like a cobra on a pogo stick. I had some sausages for my breakfast that I had purchased from the Lincolnshire village of Mareham-Le-Fen, which I had visited the week previously, when I discovered a perfectly preserved diplodocus............

How the fuck are they favourites?! If they win it'll be a right show up. All this 'state of the pitch' 'long ball' stuff can stab itself in the face!

Because I said so....I had a dream about a stegasaurus the other night, although it wasn't really a steg, but a broken Mulberry harbour from D Day, which looked a bit like
a steg.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, November 3, 2008, 15:09:03 »

Prediction league will be interesting this week then.
spacey

« Reply #10 on: Monday, November 3, 2008, 15:18:48 »

Because I said so....I had a dream about a stegasaurus the other night, although it wasn't really a steg, but a broken Mulberry harbour from D Day, which looked a bit like
a steg.

To see a dinosaur in your dream, symbolizes an outdated attitude. You may need to discard your old ways of thinking and habits.

To dream that you are being chased by a dinosaur, indicates your fears of no longer being needed or useful. Alternatively, being chased by a dinosaur, may reflect old issues that are still coming back to haunt you.

To see a harbour in your dream, signifies shelter from a stormy relationship or chaotic situation. You may be seeking refuge until you can recollect your thoughts and prepare for the challenges ahead.
fatbury

« Reply #11 on: Monday, November 3, 2008, 15:33:09 »

Histon played Ebbsfleet on Setanta this season and won 1-0 thanks to the usual Beck combination of hard work - long balls and top notch set pieces.

We better work hard at defending the set pieces this week - Histon have almost got to the top of their league with a part time side and little or no fans ... im pinning my hopes on Coxy Smiley
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, November 3, 2008, 15:40:27 »

Where is Histon ?
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, November 3, 2008, 15:48:22 »

Where is Histon ?

Uzbekistan.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, November 3, 2008, 15:52:20 »

Histon played Ebbsfleet on Setanta this season and won 1-0 thanks to the usual Beck combination of hard work - long balls and top notch set pieces.

We better work hard at defending the set pieces this week -

I'm not too sure what difference a week makes when it's been "a problem to work on" for 2 or 3 seasons (and managers)

Where is Histon ?

Near the carburettor?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: