Pages: 1 ... 116 117 118 [119] 120 121 122 ... 448   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Films films filmsy films.  (Read 1240536 times)
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #1770 on: Monday, June 29, 2009, 15:47:41 »

Watched Nick and Norah's Infinite playlist last night - decent I thought, seemed a lot like Juno though. Good music to boot.

I thought it'd be like Juno too but didn't like it much. Was nowhere near as good imo. Fair play if you liked it.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #1771 on: Monday, June 29, 2009, 20:14:43 »

my girlfriend wanted to watch some zombie films, so this week i've rewatched dawn of the dead, land of the dead, 28 days later and 28 weeks later.

dawn of the dead is awesome. i forgot how funny it is Smiley

looking forward to seeing public enemies this week (hopefully) and am aiming to see drag me to hell - anyone seen either yet?
Doore

« Reply #1772 on: Monday, June 29, 2009, 23:00:32 »

I thought it'd be like Juno too but didn't like it much. Was nowhere near as good imo. Fair play if you liked it.

I thought Juno was quite well done, and Nick and Nora was downright awful.  I think there is a habit at the mo for film makers to see a film well done and essentially take the same idea, change the characters and the context, and make a "whole new" film.  This has really happened with Knocked Up, Zach and Miri, Superbad, Pineapple Express etc, and previously happened with Anchorman, Dodgeball, Wedding Crashers, Zoolander etc. 

A lot of these films exist simply to make money, and have no imagination or wit.  Thankfully, there are alternatives.  I saw a great Swedish film at a small independent cinema the other night called Everlasting Moments.  A terrific, original and witty film - highly recommended.

Also, best film of the last couple of years is Lars and the Real Girl.7

That is all.
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #1773 on: Monday, June 29, 2009, 23:38:40 »

Watched Doctor Strangelove again last week, found it extremely funny, and worth another viewing. 

George C. Scott as General Turgidson puts in an absolute classic performance, but rather too close to the truth.

Also saw Transformers and wondered at the mesmerising acting skills of Megan Fox, still trying to understand what the film was supposed to be about and was very disappointed when the character played by Isabel Lucas left the plot.
« Last Edit: Monday, June 29, 2009, 23:45:53 by Crozzer » Logged
flammableBen

« Reply #1774 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2009, 00:12:37 »

Dr. Strangelove should be in everybody's top 10 films, most of Kubrick's work is fucking brilliant, and that's probably my favourite.

Sat and watched Anita and Me on BBC1 tonight. A bit quaint for the sake of it in bits, but sort of necessary to show the differences between the cultures the girl's caught between. Or something. Good watch anyway.

flammableBen

« Reply #1775 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2009, 02:17:35 »

Just watched Dear Zachary. The forum which recommended it to me said it was best not to look at the wikipedia page or any other spoilers, and I'm glad I didn't. Parts of it were horribly upsetting and other bits just left me feeling cold. Worth a watch though.

Spy

Ignore
« Reply #1776 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2009, 11:45:13 »

I watched Sicko yesterday. I thought it was really good.

A lot of people seem to slate Michael Moore and its true he has a typically american unsubtle style and he picks his evidence very selectively and might seem to be working towards a certain predecided conclusion.

But I think his documentarys are good - he constructs convincing arguments and as far as I'm concerned the messages are good - americas gun culture is fucked up, the war on terror was a smokescreen for increasing americas political and economic power, people shouldn't be dying in one of the worlds richest countrys just because they can't afford to pay for an operation themselves.

There is a funny bit in Sicko where Moore is interviewing this French doctor about their free healthcare and he asks "do you think this could happen in America?" and the doctor says "no". Then on the voiceover Moore says something like "I could feel his seething anti-Americanism".  Soapy Tit Wank
« Last Edit: Tuesday, June 30, 2009, 11:48:34 by Spy » Logged
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #1777 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2009, 11:51:35 »

I love Michael Moore too! Not seen Sicko though
nochee

« Reply #1778 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2009, 16:30:22 »

Just watched, Catch me if you can. T'was recommended on here a few pages ago. Good fun that one  Smiley
Doore

« Reply #1779 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2009, 17:09:37 »

Tonight I shall be rewatching Downfall.  Terrific film.
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #1780 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2009, 19:18:04 »

Yeah Downfall is badass. The performance of the guy who plays Hitler is excellent.

It is quite a long time to concentrate and read subtitles tho. It's worth it but its one of those films you have to commit a big chunk of your evening to.

Have you seen Black Book? Also a good foreign language WW2 film but very different to Downfall. It's fictional spy thriller with lots of action by the bloke who made Starship Troopers (and Robocop)! Apparently it was like the highest grossing film ever in Holland or something. Its a lot better than I probably just made it sound.  Cheesy
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #1781 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2009, 19:27:11 »

I just watched Tigerland, a 'Nam film that doesn't get to 'Nam.

Think I've seen it before but forgot, it's not bad but not a classic.
Doore

« Reply #1782 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2009, 20:12:05 »

Yeah Downfall is badass. The performance of the guy who plays Hitler is excellent.

It is quite a long time to concentrate and read subtitles tho. It's worth it but its one of those films you have to commit a big chunk of your evening to.

Have you seen Black Book? Also a good foreign language WW2 film but very different to Downfall. It's fictional spy thriller with lots of action by the bloke who made Starship Troopers (and Robocop)! Apparently it was like the highest grossing film ever in Holland or something. Its a lot better than I probably just made it sound.  Cheesy

Never even heard of Black Book, but will certainly look out for it.  Thanks for the tip off.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #1783 on: Wednesday, July 1, 2009, 07:42:44 »

black book is an excellent watch, it keeps popping up on film4 at the moment, just watched taken with liam neeson, passed an hour and a half of my life quite nicely but wouldnt want to watch it again.

watched the boy in the striped pyjamas last week, very good indeed, the final sequences really made me question myself about a few things which i wont divulge as wouldnt want to spoil it for those who havent seen it. 9/10.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #1784 on: Wednesday, July 1, 2009, 18:33:43 »

Just watched Vicky Cristina Barcelona, Woody Allen's latest offering. Not bad, but with Rebecca Hall, Scarlett Johansson and Penelope Cruz it could have been so much more.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 118 [119] 120 121 122 ... 448   Go Up
Print
Jump to: