Pages: 1 ... 3279 3280 3281 [3282] 3283 3284 3285 ... 3963   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Transfer Rumours  (Read 8866724 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #49215 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 11:06:01 »

Cool stat. I'd be interested to see how much 'squad turnover' between seasons has increased in the last 40 years, for us and everyone. From my pov it seems to get worse each year; but maybe that's just a rose tinted glasses perspective from an old fart? Hard to form that strong emotional bond with 'our' players when they all change every summer. More like being a primary school teacher than a football fan.

My memory (which could be off) is it started after the ITV digital collapse.

Players used to sign 3 or 4 year contracts. Now it’s either 1 or 2 - then after a year they are either free to go or into the last year of said contract and depreciate on value with each passing month.

Take for example Paul Bodin and Fraser Digby. Did ok in the Prem in a team out of its depth. If they played for Norwich last season got arguments sake someone like Fulham or Bournemouth would have taken a punt. Mad to think they both got relegated two divisions and the promoted again with us.

Just wouldn’t happen on this day and age
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #49216 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 11:07:26 »

Reading the Hibs forum they suggest Harry is available to play today against Kille and next week vs Hearts and only after then he will serve the other 2 game ban, thats most unusual if true.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #49217 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 11:12:42 »

Yep, first 14 days clear then the punishment continues
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #49218 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 11:18:13 »

Equal with todays opponents Gillingham on 28% retained.

One things for sure if it is remotely similar next season then the club will have failed miserably with the new model. With this new approach you should be looking at retaining at least 60% of the squad each season if it’s really about longer term development.

The other 2 defeated play off teams are 68% and 59% which is more what you should expect.
« Last Edit: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 11:20:30 by theakston2k » Logged
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #49219 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 11:35:34 »

One things for sure if it is remotely similar next season then the club will have failed miserably with the new model. With this new approach you should be looking at retaining at least 60% of the squad each season if it’s really about longer term development.

The other 2 defeated play off teams are 68% and 59% which is more what you should expect.

I guess retention all depends on how many we want to sell each season.
For arguments sake; if Darcy and Wakeling both play well this season and we get bids for both in the summer. Would we sell one and keep the other for another year - or - would we cash in on both whilst the offers are there?

If it’s just one then our retention should be good. If it’s sell whoever we receive a decent bid for then I’d expect our retention to be as low as it is now.

Still going to have players able to run down a contract easily enough under the ‘new model’
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #49220 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 11:38:48 »

For arguments sake; if Darcy and Wakeling both play well this season and we get bids for both in the summer. Would we sell one and keep the other for another year - or - would we cash in on both whilst the offers are there?

If it’s just one then our retention should be good. If it’s sell whoever we receive a decent bid for then I’d expect our retention to be as low as it is now.

Still going to have players able to run down a contract easily enough under the ‘new model’

For the model to really work properly, surely we'd need to eventually move on to 3 year deals?

Otherwise, 1 good season and we're almost forced to sell or they can just fuck off for free the next year.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #49221 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 11:43:05 »

I’d imagine we offer 2 years with a 1 year option
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #49222 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 11:44:37 »

Remember it’s total minutes though so includes squad players so even losing 4 or 5 of the starting line up shouldn’t see you losing 40% of the total appearances from the previous season. So 60% should be easily achievable and a bare minimum, if not then model is failing.

If we go with your last line and literally sell whoever we get a bid for then the club may as well give up as we’d never get anywhere. For this to work you sell a couple of players a year for money to invest in new players and keep the rest of the squad where possible, we are still a football club so there is still the minor point of winning matches and trying to be successful to consider.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #49223 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 11:49:50 »

Like Crewe have done for years and more recently Peterborough amongst others.

So, give no fucks
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #49224 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 12:06:29 »

Quote from: hefty toe
Does anyone know what type of striker Jephcott is? I'm hoping that he will be able to hold the ball up alright.

looking at the Plymouth board many were disappointed he's gone, though understanding as he can't play as long striker.

didn't get much on playing style beyond 'scores goals', and 'can pick a pass' and 'needs someone busy alongside ' (wakeling)

biggest negative was lack of pace, gets clear but can't get to shooting position.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #49225 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 12:26:09 »

Quote from: Peter Venkman
McKirdy was one of those players, on his day is as good as any player outside the Premier League, .

he scored in 15 league games

in 4  games from 18 games,  Aug  -. november
in 11 games from 28 games, from December on (was injured too).

goes to show that it can take a striker a little while to find the grooove
DMC

« Reply #49226 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 15:55:02 »

looking at the Plymouth board many were disappointed he's gone, though understanding as he can't play as long striker.

didn't get much on playing style beyond 'scores goals', and 'can pick a pass' and 'needs someone busy alongside ' (wakeling)

biggest negative was lack of pace, gets clear but can't get to shooting position.
Phew... Lucky we didn't bring him on upfront on his own today
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #49227 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 16:11:21 »

er, yeah. somebody didn't read the brief
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #49228 on: Friday, September 23, 2022, 13:11:35 »

Dabre joins Banbury on loan
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #49229 on: Friday, September 23, 2022, 13:25:01 »

Dabre joins Banbury on loan
Probably about his level currently. Hope he does well there.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 3279 3280 3281 [3282] 3283 3284 3285 ... 3963   Go Up
Print
Jump to: