Pages: 1 ... 2952 2953 2954 [2955] 2956 2957 2958 ... 3963   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Transfer Rumours  (Read 8867305 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #44310 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 08:22:17 »

I think it’s fair to say we have enough attacking options but we are a bit light on actual strikers.

If Simpson’s gets injured or recalled or whatever, I worry we’ll have loads of attacking mids all floating around the edge of the box/outwide and then no one in the box to aim for/get on the end of it.

We know this. They know this. There are probably still some options out there but there is no point bringing on players for the sake of it just because.
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #44311 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 08:45:22 »

I think it’s fair to say we have enough attacking options but we are a bit light on actual strikers.

If Simpson’s gets injured or recalled or whatever, I worry we’ll have loads of attacking mids all floating around the edge of the box/outwide and then no one in the box to aim for/get on the end of it.

We know this. They know this. There are probably still some options out there but there is no point bringing on players for the sake of it just because.

I think we have enough players who can play there to make do, I agree we shouldn't be signing players just to fill holes. Should Simpson get injured or lose form, I think we'll be ok, maybe look at the market again in January and hopefully the embargoes in place will be resolved by then, allowing us a little more freedom to move.

RJack

Ignore
« Reply #44312 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 08:48:28 »

Pretty happy with yesterdays business tbh, the signing of Gilbert for us yesterday is a bonus and I'm sure his versatility will service us well over the coming season.

I'm sure January will be the time when we bring in that extra striking option we were hoping for.  A lot can happen before then but even if something did happen to Simpson I'd say we still have enough in the team to see us through until then.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #44313 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 08:49:13 »

I see Gilbert has several Irish U21 caps so he is not entirely green (pun intended!)

My concern is that looking back over the last 20 odd years we have only ever reached play offs and above with at least 1 player (or a partnership) getting a decent load of goals;

03-04 - P/o's - Mooney 20 SSP 23
06-07 - 3rd - Roberts 13 Peacock 10
09-10 - P/O's - Paynter 29 Austin 20
11-12 - 1st - Benson 12 Ritchie 10 Connell 13
12-13 - P/O's - Collins 18 Rooney 10
14-15 - P/O's - Williams 21 Smith 18
19-20 - 1st* - Yates 14 Doyle 25

We've actually been quite blessed with strikers over that period.

Ultimately however in Ben's we trust.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #44314 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 08:52:23 »

I think we have enough players who can play there to make do, I agree we shouldn't be signing players just to fill holes. Should Simpson get injured or lose form, I think we'll be ok, maybe look at the market again in January and hopefully the embargoes in place will be resolved by then, allowing us a little more freedom to move.

Who would you play upfront on their own in place of Simpson? If he was unavailable?
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #44315 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 09:16:28 »

I see Gilbert has several Irish U21 caps so he is not entirely green (pun intended!)

My concern is that looking back over the last 20 odd years we have only ever reached play offs and above with at least 1 player (or a partnership) getting a decent load of goals;

03-04 - P/o's - Mooney 20 SSP 23
06-07 - 3rd - Roberts 13 Peacock 10
09-10 - P/O's - Paynter 29 Austin 20
11-12 - 1st - Benson 12 Ritchie 10 Connell 13
12-13 - P/O's - Collins 18 Rooney 10
14-15 - P/O's - Williams 21 Smith 18
19-20 - 1st* - Yates 14 Doyle 25

We've actually been quite blessed with strikers over that period.

Ultimately however in Ben's we trust.

The preoccupation with strikers is understandable given the stats you’ve posted and our collective understanding of the game.

So let me throw in a different hypothesis. We know strikers cost money, something is short supply at the present. We know that to win games you need goals from said strikers. But so do other teams and there appears to have been little activity in getting strikers in in the other two bottom leagues.

Looking at the wrong end of the pitch. Stop a team scoring and you only need one goal to win. This isn’t by the looks of things going to be a free scoring season, more like a don’t let them score any and we’ll get one or two thanks very much. Not don’t worry about how many they get, we’ll get more anyway. Think 1-0 to the Arsenal type season.
Family at War

Midfield Maestro

Ignore
« Reply #44316 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 09:19:59 »

I think people need to put into context that this season was going to be about sustainability and to maintain an existence in League 2 and hopefully build on this next season. We are OK at the moment but remember there could be more skeletons in the cupboard. Let's not run before we can walk.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #44317 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 09:24:47 »

I think people need to put into context that this season was going to be about sustainability and to maintain an existence in League 2 and hopefully build on this next season. We are OK at the moment but remember there could be more skeletons in the cupboard. Let's not run before we can walk.

Agreed.

I too, got on the train at Weymouth, pissed up and agreeing with everyone that survival as a League Club was paramount.
We have had an amazing start but that low expectation is still there for me.

Clems Army!
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #44318 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 09:38:11 »

Who would you play upfront on their own in place of Simpson? If he was unavailable?

We can't answer that question until we've seen all the possible solutions get game time, we also don't have to play a lone CF, there are other systems, Gilbert and McKirdy could work as a pair for example?

Only have to look to Leicester last season to see there are answers to selection problems, they found a way to operate without Barnes and Maddison when they needed to.

Let's not forget Simpson was offered a professional rugby union contract so he must be pretty robust.

Whatever happens I'm sure Garner and his team will have considered plenty of options to manage different scenarios.
Flashheart

« Reply #44319 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 09:49:00 »

Yeah, because the other signings we've made really signal 'sustainability' and staying in L2.

This is a squad that's being put together with promotion in mind. I would not be at all surprised to see another striker coming in and, if not, I imagine the new lad has been bought in to fit that role if needed. He might get 20+ for all we know.
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #44320 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 09:50:39 »

Wasn't it a £1m we had to pay back before the embargo is lifted fully?

Perhaps by cutting back this year and building some foundations, we will be in a much better place next season.
Flashheart

« Reply #44321 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 09:54:12 »

If you're cutting back,you don't go signing players like Williams, Gladwin, and Reed.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #44322 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 09:54:29 »

There appear to be free agents still so definitely no need to panic. Kieran Agard for example would be a great signing. I'm sure when JJ has some time he could prepare a list for us and we can have a lovely discussion about them.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #44323 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 10:26:29 »

McKirdy didn't look out of place when he came on, and as others have said, small tweaks to the system (which Garner has shown he's not afraid to make) and the sole striker 'issue' suddenly isn't one. Keep the faith!

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #44324 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 10:48:24 »

There appear to be free agents still so definitely no need to panic. Kieran Agard for example would be a great signing. I'm sure when JJ has some time he could prepare a list for us and we can have a lovely discussion about them.
I will when the final list of last minute transfers has been published officially.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 2952 2953 2954 [2955] 2956 2957 2958 ... 3963   Go Up
Print
Jump to: