Pages: 1 ... 2951 2952 2953 [2954] 2955 2956 2957 ... 3977   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Transfer Rumours  (Read 8967227 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #44295 on: Tuesday, August 31, 2021, 22:41:20 »

I imagine there will still be deals done well into the night.

I can’t say what Ben & Ben were looking for but I’d assume an experience, decent goal record striker.
Them and everyone else in L1 & L2. Huge demand and short supply.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #44296 on: Tuesday, August 31, 2021, 22:51:44 »

Every season we get people complaining we have too many loans and we'll be too reliant on them, now we don't have enough. Never will please everyone.  What is the point in bringing in an extra loan for the sake if it?  They still cost money and as we've been told before they'll often come with an incentive to be played as they'll be cheaper that way, we then get people moaning that we have to play 'x' when our own player 'y' is sat on the bench and not progressing.

There are always unattached players signed by clubs after the window closes, there will be this season, we may or may not be a club that does that this season.

The evidence we have thus far is that the recruitment team might have a clue what they're doing, we do have options up front, new lad says he's a 9(ish), McKirdy has played 9, JML has played 9 and Parsons has mostly played 9 in the youth setup as far as I know.

There may well be a very decent LB who may have been waiting on something else that fell through who may now be ready to come to us.

We have done well so far, if we kerp doing well we could be in a brilliant position to strengthen in January.  Let's not let the fact we didn't sign another GP spoil all the positivity.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #44297 on: Tuesday, August 31, 2021, 23:03:54 »

but it's fair enough to wonder if we've enough cover up front.

mcK and parsons filling in as a single striker seems to be unlikely from what I've seen. no idea on others.

totally agree about not filling squad places to make the numbers though.

what's probably happened is plan A went elsewhere or is injured. it happens.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #44298 on: Tuesday, August 31, 2021, 23:06:47 »

oh, and I should add the caliber of signing since takeover had been massively better than I hoped it would.

and we didn't sell hunt for 50p at first opportunity
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #44299 on: Tuesday, August 31, 2021, 23:08:35 »

I remember rocking up at Weymouth just over 5 weeks ago, to see a skeleton playing squad plus some triallists lose 1-0 and thinking if we survive in league 2 it will be a good achievement.

Fast forward and we have 10 points from 5 games, 3 home games with crowds of over 8,500 and a clear playing identity and I have to pinch myself that some fans are disappointed that on transfer deadline day we fail  to secure the services of an  experienced striker such as Brett Pitman or Leon Clarke, but instead opt for a promising young striker from a premiership club. Simon Cox, Sam Parkin and Charlie Austin were not household names when they signed for us, but  Tony Thorpe and Jamie Cureton were! Look how that ended.

Roll on Saturday at Stevenage and another chance for us all to enjoy the rebirth of our great club.
Kinky Tom

Ignore
« Reply #44300 on: Tuesday, August 31, 2021, 23:11:11 »

what's probably happened is plan A went elsewhere or is injured. it happens.

I'm sure that's the case, yeah.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #44301 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 05:16:43 »

Strange signing this one. Especially when Garner states he didn’t want an ‘academy type’ which would impede the progress of Parsons.

Still, the window isn’t just the last day. We’ve had a terrific window overall.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #44302 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 06:09:17 »

I remember rocking up at Weymouth just over 5 weeks ago, to see a skeleton playing squad plus some triallists lose 1-0 and thinking if we survive in league 2 it will be a good achievement.

Fast forward and we have 10 points from 5 games, 3 home games with crowds of over 8,500 and a clear playing identity and I have to pinch myself that some fans are disappointed that on transfer deadline day we fail  to secure the services of an  experienced striker such as Brett Pitman or Leon Clarke, but instead opt for a promising young striker from a premiership club. Simon Cox, Sam Parkin and Charlie Austin were not household names when they signed for us, but  Tony Thorpe and Jamie Cureton were! Look how that ended.

Roll on Saturday at Stevenage and another chance for us all to enjoy the rebirth of our great club.

Spot on.
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #44303 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 06:16:11 »

Looking at the done deals yesterday I don’t really see that anyone in L1 or L2 got a proven forward, which possibly shows the market just wasn’t moving.

Based on the squad I think we have more than enough to score goals across the team, but Garner needs to find a formation that allows us to utilise the attacking talent.

Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #44304 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 06:32:21 »

I’m convinced we’ll get someone else in on a free. The work in the window has been very good indeed, and far better than we’d hoped (Williams, Payne, Odimayo, Reed, Crichlow in particular) but there is a risk that a promising team is limited in what it can do by the absence of enough strikers and an imbalanced squad. They’ll know that.
Kinky Tom

Ignore
« Reply #44305 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 06:43:45 »

I’m convinced we’ll get someone else in on a free. The work in the window has been very good indeed, and far better than we’d hoped (Williams, Payne, Odimayo, Reed, Crichlow in particular) but there is a risk that a promising team is limited in what it can do by the absence of enough strikers and an imbalanced squad. They’ll know that.

I'm hoping the 3 at the back system played against Mansfield was team specific due to their areal threat up front, think it hindered our ability to get up the pitch with both Reed and Grant also playing deep. 

Once Williams and Gladwin are actually fit the ball should spend more time in the opposition half, if we create enough chances goals will come, would be nice to have someone be able to hang our hat on of course, we may yet get that player.

One thing I think we have with last night's addition is a few players with pace, always good.

Hopefully Williams get's a few minutes under the hood for Wales.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #44306 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 08:06:06 »

Looking at the done deals yesterday I don’t really see that anyone in L1 or L2 got a proven forward, which possibly shows the market just wasn’t moving.

Based on the squad I think we have more than enough to score goals across the team, but Garner needs to find a formation that allows us to utilise the attacking talent.

I was going to post something similar and you've beaten me to it! If you look around the division the only permanent striker signings were Maynard (33 YO) to Tranmere, Theo Robinson (32 YO) to Bradford and Leon Clarke (36 YO) to Rovers. Hand on heart none of those particularly blow off the socks. All other signings were 18,19,20 year old loan players.

We have enough forward type players now as you say, hopefully we can utilise them properly and get a few more goals in the side. I think taking a player on loan from Brentford makes sense, they clearly have a similar philosophy to ourselves and who knows if he has a good loan we look to make it permanent in the future.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #44307 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 08:08:46 »

they only question I have is, can be play up top on his own.

that's it.

An old head would have been nice but as pointed above, hard to come by.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #44308 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 08:13:00 »

they only question I have is, can be play up top on his own.

that's it.

An old head would have been nice but as pointed above, hard to come by.

Time will tell. We still haven't seen Lawson and where his best position is either.

For now we'll have to see how Garner lines up his team and if we can get goals out of it. Saturday is going to be very interesting!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Kinky Tom

Ignore
« Reply #44309 on: Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 08:17:46 »

He's had a lifetime of the largely favoured approach of a lone CF that Mourinho introduced to the PL 17 years ago, most players in their academies in his position have surely spent time on  being able to play that role.

We'll soon  see what kind of player he really is anyhow.  Roll on Saturday.
Pages: 1 ... 2951 2952 2953 [2954] 2955 2956 2957 ... 3977   Go Up
Print
Jump to: