Pages: 1 ... 3414 3415 3416 [3417] 3418 3419 3420 ... 4021   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Transfer Rumours  (Read 9234917 times)
DMC

« Reply #51240 on: Saturday, February 25, 2023, 21:18:17 »

Looks Grant could be training with Town. He seemed to slip up in post match (about 1min 20secs into BBC Wilts Post Match) saying something about 'I see Brandy's (I assume he was talking about the lesser spotted Ed Brand) patterns of play and his training sessions I can see that...'. It would weight towards that Grant has been on the training ground, as there would be no reason for him to be there seeing how Town are setting up?

No harm if he is only training with STFC but I'd be concerned that out of free agents, all Town potentially could get is an injured ex player, who hasn't played for about a year and still without solving the replacement CB issue. Sorry but the 'General' ain't what Town needs right now and there would be literally zero nostalgia about him returning and it would be somewhat of a whimper to the end of his career.

Even a fit AG would be slower and worse than an unfit Ben Gladwin. I'd much prefer a gamble on an unfit Andre Wisdom though...

In retrospect to what I wrote above and reading your comment, I totally agree - sign the twat up
Nah Grant hasn't been training with them. I think from what was overheard is that he has asked Clem and he said ask Jodie
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #51241 on: Saturday, February 25, 2023, 22:05:24 »

I loved prime Geant.

But surely he's past his best before. Morris will see that
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #51242 on: Saturday, February 25, 2023, 22:27:47 »

Nah Grant hasn't been training with them. I think from what was overheard is that he has asked Clem and he said ask Jodie

Who's she?  Wink

But thank fook for that. Hopefully you're correct - I liked Grant when he was actually good but he's surely past it in terms of regular pro level starter now? It definitely shouldn't be what Town need or desire at this moment in time - even on co-comms. Sure by all means allow him to come in and get his coaching badges but not as a registered player.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #51243 on: Sunday, February 26, 2023, 11:51:19 »

I didn't like Grant at Centre Back in his prime and he isn't needed in midfield.

We're pretty desperate at CB but there must be a ton of better free agent options.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #51244 on: Sunday, February 26, 2023, 12:11:04 »

I didn't like Grant at Centre Back in his prime and he isn't needed in midfield.

We're pretty desperate at CB but there must be a ton of better free agent options.
As I literally just posted in the MDT (probably the wrong thread TBH) there are a few OOC players out there.
Now we need to tie up a short term deal for an OOC centre back asap, Mariappa or Downing are 2 that spring to mind.

A few outside ones like Blackett, Wisdom, Semple, Dinzeyi, Nkumu, Thomas-Russell and Tobin several of whom have links to Chelsea could be options if we go down that route.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #51245 on: Monday, February 27, 2023, 10:55:34 »

Our midfield is very porous and a Grant type in the middle as a spoiler might be very helpful to a fragile defence?
The Million Pound Man

Ignore
« Reply #51246 on: Tuesday, February 28, 2023, 09:46:20 »

https://therealefl.co.uk/2023/02/28/exclusive-swindon-town-set-to-sign-former-premier-league-defender/

Whelan saying Mariappa is done
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #51247 on: Tuesday, February 28, 2023, 09:51:41 »

Seems a very sensible signing in the circumstances, and certainly one that suggests we've not given up on promotion.
The Million Pound Man

Ignore
« Reply #51248 on: Tuesday, February 28, 2023, 10:00:31 »

Seems a very sensible signing in the circumstances, and certainly one that suggests we've not given up on promotion.

Arguably a signing that was needed on Jan 1st though.

Cynical view- if we announce on March 1st we've saved two months wages? Straight out of the Lee Power textbook.

Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #51249 on: Tuesday, February 28, 2023, 10:17:35 »

Very much needed, should be fit too having been playing for Burton. Nice to have another older head in the dressing room.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #51250 on: Tuesday, February 28, 2023, 10:21:56 »

Cynical view- if we announce on March 1st we've saved two months wages? Straight out of the Lee Power textbook.

I don't think that really makes sense. He's been brought in because of the injuries we've had - and we wouldn't have needed him on Jan 1st as at that point we had MacDonald filling the "experienced CB" role.

If you meant Feb 1st, then I kinda get your point, although it would be a totally false economy to delay bringing him in whilst we had a run of winnable games we largely didn't win, then to pull the trigger before going into a trickier run of fixtures.

I don't think this one needs much overthinking - we were probably going to try and muddle through with a combination of FBT/Clayton/Brennan at the back. Two of those three have picked up big injuries in the last two games, so we've brought somebody else available in. I think that's all there is to it really.
tj2002

Ignore
« Reply #51251 on: Tuesday, February 28, 2023, 10:23:11 »

Who was the old centre back we signed in similar circumstances a few seasons ago?
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #51252 on: Tuesday, February 28, 2023, 10:25:53 »

Who was the old centre back we signed in similar circumstances a few seasons ago?

Zakuani?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #51253 on: Tuesday, February 28, 2023, 10:26:14 »

My cousin watches Burton regularly and he says he was easily their best defender earlier this season and was upset to see him leave them.

In some respects, it seems a shame to lose Mariappa but, looking at the big picture, perhaps it is less so. It was exciting when he signed, a relatively big name with a solid career at the higher end of English football, mostly with Watford in two spells but also with Crystal Palace and Reading.

Mariappa returned from a spell in Australia aged 36 and with a reputation as a good character to have around, one which he quickly backed up with informed, polite interviews. Here, indeed, was a player who had been there and done that and he endeared himself to supporters by announcing that this was “proper football” and that he had missed it. He instantly looked assured on the pitch and Burton were not beaten in the first four games he played, while they were a touch unfortunate to lose his fifth one, 2-1 away to Bolton Wanderers.

With only 11 goals in a 17-year career, he was not here particularly to add to the threat up front but it was a welcome bonus when he buried a firm header to earn a stoppage-time point at home to League One leaders Plymouth Argyle; nor was it an undeserved point. But a buttock injury began to restrict Mariappa and he was in and out of the side. He did not look as assured as he had done when he returned to the team away to Forest Green Rovers with Burton using a back three and asking them to play a high line. They got away with it at Forest Green but, spectacularly, did not in what proved to be Mariappa’s final appearance, the 5-0 defeat away to Morecambe.

Of the five free agent signings Dino Maamria had made, Mariappa’s was the only one up at the start of January – three others have until the end of the month to stake a claim and Sam Winnall has signed until the end of the season. Nonetheless, initially, Maamria seemed confident Mariappa would stay. It seemed a matter of ironing out the details. Then it became a case “agreeing on some points, not on others...”

Perhaps Mariappa wanted a longer deal than the Brewers were prepared to consider giving a 36-year-old. Perhaps he wanted more money than they could afford whatever the length of the deal. Or perhaps Maamria recognised that, good as Mariappa clearly is, he is not the future. Whichever division Burton may be heading for next season, finding a settled and reliable defence that goes beyond this season is one of the manager’s priorities.

Taking that into consideration, it may be best for both parties that they have made the break now rather than at the end of the season, however enjoyable it was to see a player of Mariappa’s stature in a Burton shirt.

All of our Burton Albion news appears daily in the Burton Mail. Much of it can also be found here: www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/all-about/burton-albion and here: https://www.staffordshire-live.co.uk/sport/

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
tj2002

Ignore
« Reply #51254 on: Tuesday, February 28, 2023, 10:27:30 »

Zakuani?

Thats the one, cheers
Pages: 1 ... 3414 3415 3416 [3417] 3418 3419 3420 ... 4021   Go Up
Print
Jump to: