Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Where and why  (Read 18773 times)
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Monday, February 25, 2008, 20:10:00 »

Was born in Devizes, and my early years were spent in Bromham.
Supported Swindon beacuse they are the only league team in Wiltshire, and so were my local club.

My Dad took me to my first game in the League Cup winning season.
Early memories include the FA Cup game at home to Scunthorpe, Bristol City away (3-3 draw), and the Anglo italian Cup games (esp beating Sampdoria at home)

Around the age of 13/14 I started to go to games on my own, and with mates from School. Used to either get Bodmin's coach from Devizes, or the Rimes (I think) from Calne.

Have been a regular and Lapsed a couple of times since (notably under Rikki Kunt & Steve MacMoan).

Took my lad to his first game aged 2, and he's still a town fan, even though all his mates follow the big clubs.

Have been in Peterborough for about 4 years now, and we get back home as often as we can, and go to the local games to here .
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #121 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2008, 08:26:00 »

Quote from: "STFC dave"

schooled at Hreod from 86 to 91.

woop. were mr mann and mr perkins really teaching there that far back?

I left Hreod in 82 and had those 2 as teachers, Perkins was a wanker.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Robinz

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2008, 08:32:20 »

What a logistical nightmare of how to find the reasons of becoming a Swindon fan...
Born in Hagbourne near Didcot and my father who was on the GWR came from Haydon Wick. He took me to my first game at the County Ground and that was in 1963 against Portsmouth when Jimmy Dickenson (ex England centre half) made a record amount of appearances for Pompey...later to be beaten by our own JT.
Continued following the Town through some fantastic years and will forever be grateful seeing my "heroes" become greats of their time....
Moved to New Zealand mainly because of relegation to the 4th Division...terrible evening driving back from Newport County after Emmanual missing a penalty in 1982 / 83.
Swindon have had a list of magnificent players from Don Rogers to Peter Noble, Frank Burrows and the late Stan Harland. However, my hero Alan Mayes...Rowlands and Mayes made a wonderful striking force.
Long live STFC....

Smiley
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2008, 08:42:20 »

Shocked You moved to NZ because of STFC? That's a bit drastic!
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2008, 09:28:09 »

Quote from: "jjedmunds"
Quote from: "STFC dave"

schooled at Hreod from 86 to 91.

woop. were mr mann and mr perkins really teaching there that far back?

I left Hreod in 82 and had those 2 as teachers, Perkins was a wanker.

dont knock the ledgend that is sir ian perkins  :x

Things get better but they never get good
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2008, 09:51:19 »

This thread is ace.  Its even got some new/less frequent posters to contribute which is ace.

I remember the 6-0 drubbing by Ipswich Reg mentioned, sat in the Intel with my dad.  My cousin was a huge Ipswich fan so was sitting with the away lot.
sheepshagger
Suburban Capitalist........

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2008, 11:28:57 »

Born and bred in Swindon.....

Always loved football - started going to football with my Nan, Mum and Cousin when I was 7 - 31 years ago (ouch) !!

Used to stand right at the front in the old Southside - bang on the halfway line.

My Nan is now 88 bless her - stopped going a few years ago as did my Mum - but she goes round my Nan's religiously on a Saturday afternoon and they sit and listen to it together....

Now managed to get my step dad into it along with my 21 year old little Sis - so us 3 along with my brother in law are all season ticket holders in the Nationwide.....

Wise men say........
Robinz

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2008, 22:44:18 »

Samdy Grey....In the late 70's early 80's the feeling towards Poxford was pure hate...working in Cowley and proud to show my colours with a STFC car banner in the winter and Swindon speedway in the summer...Fuck I hated those pricks with a passion...
So, when the Town were relegated and those bastards getting promoted..only way was to emigrate...soapy tit wank
Did come back especially for the promotion play off game at Selhurst Park...and obviously for the Wembley appearance against Leicester.
Last game was at Reading when we won 3-1 ..shit, that was a great day out...
Long live STFC

Smiley
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Thursday, September 23, 2010, 15:03:44 »

Sorry for the random bump, but found this thread fascinating and thought it would be interesting to hear from some of us more recent members.

Personally, I was born and bred in Croydon, but my old man (originally from Didcot) started taking me to the CG from an early age. This was late 80's/early 90's and been hooked ever since.
PHIL!!!!
Our Resident Emo Kid

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Thursday, September 23, 2010, 15:10:55 »

Haha nice find!

One half of the family is from Swindon, the other from the red side of Manchester. No contest as to who i'd support Smiley
Although the Mancs of the family did take me to a few United games back in the day, to no avail. Giggs still remains my favourite ever player to grace the football field, mind!

Bassett Bulldogs FC - http://bassettbulldogsfc.co.uk/
TownLoyal

« Reply #130 on: Thursday, September 23, 2010, 15:30:35 »

Born in Swindon, Dad took me to matches when I was young (early 90's) not that I remember much. Moved to Ashburton in Devon when I was 7, moved back when I was 12 and loving football I went down to the CG in 2005 and was hooked back in. Alot of my family are STFC fans aswell.

Although it weren't always Swindon for me  Embarrassed Living in a very quiet bit of Devon, being pretty young and with the only football being on TV and the towns VERY small team (Ashburton mens), I ended up ''supporting Man Utd'' along with my mates.   Embarrassed

I'm all Town now though!
adje

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Thursday, September 23, 2010, 15:36:01 »

Born in Dorset,lived in Wiltshire(Hindon) dad took me when I was 11(43 years ago)-a one-team man ever since and proud to say my son is as fanatical as I am.Lived in Kent for 25 years but still make 15-20 games per season.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Langers

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Thursday, September 23, 2010, 15:37:10 »

Born In Croydon.

Dad's side of the family all from Swindon and the Westcountry Mums side all from London, dad moved up here when he was 20 but took me to Town games and it was just sort of agreed i would support town!
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Thursday, September 23, 2010, 15:44:50 »

Born in Swindon, lived in Calne, moved to the darkness of oxfordshire and lived in Carterton and Witney (where a pox youth team player tried to groom me before grooming was invented.  In reality had I not been sensible he would have probably bummed me.  Thats another story).

Lived in Chippenham after that till I went to uni at 24.  Started going to town games around 89.  Was pretty regular until I went to uni.  Moved back to Nam from years in Leicester and Northampton in 2007 so able to go more often.  Glad to be back!

Sorry that was a bit of a life story.

Never knowingly overstated.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #134 on: Thursday, September 23, 2010, 16:04:03 »

I want to hear the rest of the Oxford Groomer story.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: